The Audio Technica M50 studio monitor thread
May 11, 2011 at 7:17 PM Post #857 of 1,431
i dont know much about equalizing can someone show how to equalize the m50's the easiest way possible.. i saw that last how to equlize thread it didnt make much sense to me... please help me.. :)

May 11, 2011 at 9:08 PM Post #858 of 1,431

Quote:
i dont know much about equalizing can someone show how to equalize the m50's the easiest way possible.. i saw that last how to equlize thread it didnt make much sense to me... please help me.. :)

Unfortunately there is no streamlined process for parametric equalization. Most of it happens in music recording studios, so we're lucky that there is a computer solution even.

I did not quite understand it at the beginning either, but after reading the guide a few times it became more clear. The goal is to NEUTRALIZE the headphone's frequency response (for exact frequencies at which the headphones sound abnormally loud, you equalize it down, and vise versa), thus allowing it to produce the most natural and high-fidelity sound possible.

Don't bother with bar equalizer (the common ones in e.g. itunes / soundcard settings / etc with like a dozen bars tweaked up and down) because those only boost/depress general frequency RANGES, not pin-point accuracy frequency adjustments, so they do nothing to improve the sound quality of headphones.

It's a long tweaking process - my current EQ file is the result of many hours of tweaking and listening. But it's so worth it because you can experience a constant process of noticeably improving the sound.

May 12, 2011 at 11:37 AM Post #859 of 1,431
It's only helpful if you're using the headphones with a computer, right?
Hmm, I heard the equalizer on a Rockboxed clip+ is pretty good. I wonder if you can do this with the clip+ too? I haven't played around with mine at all.

Quote:
Unfortunately there is no streamlined process for parametric equalization. Most of it happens in music recording studios, so we're lucky that there is a computer solution even.

I did not quite understand it at the beginning either, but after reading the guide a few times it became more clear. The goal is to NEUTRALIZE the headphone's frequency response (for exact frequencies at which the headphones sound abnormally loud, you equalize it down, and vise versa), thus allowing it to produce the most natural and high-fidelity sound possible.

Don't bother with bar equalizer (the common ones in e.g. itunes / soundcard settings / etc with like a dozen bars tweaked up and down) because those only boost/depress general frequency RANGES, not pin-point accuracy frequency adjustments, so they do nothing to improve the sound quality of headphones.

It's a long tweaking process - my current EQ file is the result of many hours of tweaking and listening. But it's so worth it because you can experience a constant process of noticeably improving the sound.

May 12, 2011 at 11:54 AM Post #860 of 1,431

Quote:
It's only helpful if you're using the headphones with a computer, right?
Hmm, I heard the equalizer on a Rockboxed clip+ is pretty good. I wonder if you can do this with the clip+ too? I haven't played around with mine at all.

If it's a bar equalizer, unless it has 1000 bars covering frequencies between 20 and 20k hertz, it won't do much toward frequency response equalization. The best you can do with bar equalizers is boosting treble / bass slightly etc, general stuff like that, you can't actually change the sound signature by pinpoint fine tuning (e.g. boosting 850 Hz by 3 dB, with a range of 1.0).

May 12, 2011 at 7:33 PM Post #865 of 1,431

Quote:
It's a second hand and I didn't know what the previous owner had done to damage it that bad
that was my first purchase and I was kind of noob back then =.=

It looks like it's just cosmetic damage (does the core of the headband still flex well with good rigidity/elasticity?).

If the core of the headband is still okay, you just need to wrap the outside with a protective layer. Easiest way on my mind is to do a spiraling electrical taping. Other ways like sewing on two pieces of fabric / leather will also work but will be more work and expensive material possibly. 

May 13, 2011 at 1:48 AM Post #866 of 1,431

nope everything is in perfect quality apart from the ugly appearance
thank for ur advice I will pass the electrical taping but I think i should give the sewing a try since a small piece of leather is not very expensive here
Quote:

It looks like it's just cosmetic damage (does the core of the headband still flex well with good rigidity/elasticity?).

If the core of the headband is still okay, you just need to wrap the outside with a protective layer. Easiest way on my mind is to do a spiraling electrical taping. Other ways like sewing on two pieces of fabric / leather will also work but will be more work and expensive material possibly. 

May 13, 2011 at 2:56 AM Post #867 of 1,431
I paid 214 for mine here in toronto, is there anywhere else that sells it cheaper? I got mine from cosmo. Its the same price at long and mcquade as well and bay bloor.doesn't sell them. I keep reading how everyone is getting them for so cheap but I don't know where. Thanks

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

May 13, 2011 at 3:55 PM Post #868 of 1,431
my srh840 replacment earpads just arrived from sweetwater.com for my first mod  and so far Im impressed.  Impressed with the added comfort as well as sweetwaters customer service, they even included some laffy taffy.  Indiana to Idaho in 2 days free shipping.   <3

Im amazed at this $16 improvement.  The 840 pads are softer and dont feel as crusty as the m50's.  The m50 pads where only 2 weeks old.  The 840's are also bigger and my ear fits inside right as I put them on, instead of having to position the headphones just right with the m50's so they where not sitting ontop of my ears.

May 14, 2011 at 3:25 AM Post #869 of 1,431

Quote:

Scary stuff man....
I gotta tell you, that is the first time I have ever seen this sort of damage!!!
Usually the pads are the ones that get damaged, but this... this is just.. just huh? I really wanna know what the previous owner did to it.....
I mean, it looks all scratched up and faded compared to the rest of the body.. idk how that is possible lol

May 14, 2011 at 8:41 PM Post #870 of 1,431

Quote:
Scary stuff man....
I gotta tell you, that is the first time I have ever seen this sort of damage!!!
Usually the pads are the ones that get damaged, but this... this is just.. just huh? I really wanna know what the previous owner did to it.....
I mean, it looks all scratched up and faded compared to the rest of the body.. idk how that is possible lol

My guess is cats.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back