The Audio Technica M50 studio monitor thread
May 7, 2011 at 11:26 AM Post #841 of 1,431

Quote:
The power of hype. Heh.

Anyway two proven (personally) mods/things M50 owners can do to greatly improve their M50's sound quality with little-to-no con's:

1)
Remove the foam backing on the other side of the two pleather cushions (after the removal there is still thin but finely-woven cloth protecting the drivers).

This OPENS UP the cans' sound immensely, crisper but just as smooth nonsibilant treble, improved mids, and overall a dramatically less "closed in" sound signature. Credit goes to FearSC549.

2)
Equalize the M50s using a parametric equalizer; there's a whole guide on hfi dedicated to teaching people how to equalize their mid~high fi headphones (low fi headphones are impossible to equalize well) by PiccoloNamek.

It neutralizes the treble - making the sound signature extremely high-fidelity compared to pre-equalized state, boosts the mids appropriately, and straightens out the bass. Overall a $200 sound improvement.

(I absolutely cannot listen to music with my M50s unequalized now, the trebles sound so fake without the EQ I made for it, just to show how much of an improvement this is)

How can i accomplish number 1?
anyone want to post a video demonstrating this?

May 7, 2011 at 11:31 AM Post #842 of 1,431
May 7, 2011 at 4:02 PM Post #843 of 1,431
New Owner:
Got one from Amazon. I'm a Grado fan that started on SR80i then went on to SR325is. I was very happy with the 80i because they sound so well at low volumes after about 100 hour burnin. I went with the 325 after a year or so and felt I'd moved up to a set where my equipment needed to be upgraded. The 80i was like being in a really nice ford mustang going 80 MPH down the road. The 325is was like being in a lotus and effortlessly passing the mustang. The lotus is nice but requires lots of attention and expensive parts. I prefer the easier maintained setup.  I know, crazy philosophical analogies.... I went with the m50s after hearing them in a headphone shop compared to some AKGs, Beyers, Denons. They seemed much more well rounded phones for various types of music. It's fun to fiddle with settings, get the latest amp, invest in good connectors, but I just want good well rounded high quality out of the box phones and these are definitely it. 

May 9, 2011 at 7:37 PM Post #845 of 1,431
i bought the m50's a couple of weeks ago and i love them.. but they are a bit tight on my head what should i do to loosen them up a bit.. i still want them to clamp but just not as much..

May 9, 2011 at 8:16 PM Post #846 of 1,431

Quote:
i bought the m50's a couple of weeks ago and i love them.. but they are a bit tight on my head what should i do to loosen them up a bit.. i still want them to clamp but just not as much..

Put some books or towels between them and let them sit for a while.

May 9, 2011 at 8:44 PM Post #847 of 1,431

Quote:
Put some books or towels between them and let them sit for a while.

Eh when I got mine a few months back and did this it did not help much. In the end I just flexed the band a bit with my hands, and it loosened up much more. The M50 band is extremely pliable and elastic, so you shouldn't worry about damaging it unless you are using snapping force.

May 9, 2011 at 11:28 PM Post #849 of 1,431

Quote:
how long exactly? and also should i just put the m50's around the box it comes in?

eh I don't know, I can't remember how wide the thing was. Books or towels are easier. Doesn't matter too much on time. Stretch them a fair bit but not too much. The above poster's method is kind of risky. You could end up stretching them too far and not having the clamping force you need for isolation (at least some of it). Just do it when you're at home for a while. Each hour or 30 minutes try them on and see if that is good or not.

May 10, 2011 at 12:43 AM Post #850 of 1,431

Quote:
eh I don't know, I can't remember how wide the thing was. Books or towels are easier. Doesn't matter too much on time. Stretch them a fair bit but not too much. The above poster's method is kind of risky. You could end up stretching them too far and not having the clamping force you need for isolation (at least some of it). Just do it when you're at home for a while. Each hour or 30 minutes try them on and see if that is good or not.

alright well do.. and yea the way that the other guy said is a bit risky im just gonna do it your way since iv read that alot of other people have done it on here aswell.. thanks man :)

May 11, 2011 at 2:04 PM Post #852 of 1,431

Quote:
my m50's headband is worn out
any idea how to make it look good again :frowning2:

"Worn out"? Can you post a photo or something to show what its condition is otherwise it's hard to visualize what you mean exactly.

May 11, 2011 at 6:18 PM Post #853 of 1,431
I'm looking to buy my first pair of nice headphones (relatively speaking as I've only purchased $20-$30 cans before).

Looks like with all the hype, the prices on amazon have gone up to $159.... would you guys still say that the headphones are worth it for that price?

Thanks!

May 11, 2011 at 6:20 PM Post #854 of 1,431
i stretched it over a couple of towels and it fits alot better.. thanks. it makes them even more enjoyable.. 
L3000.gif

May 11, 2011 at 6:21 PM Post #855 of 1,431

Quote:
I'm looking to buy my first pair of nice headphones (relatively speaking as I've only purchased $20-$30 cans before).

Looks like with all the hype, the prices on amazon have gone up to $159.... would you guys still say that the headphones are worth it for that price?

Thanks!

i bought my pair for around 190, and yeah its worth it..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back