The Audio Technica M50 studio monitor thread
May 4, 2011 at 3:29 AM Post #826 of 1,431
No.. I lay them down on my desk every day since I don't have a stand. The pads wont mess up or anything. You can lay them down anyway you want. I either lay them down with the cups clamped and pushing on eachother, or the cups facing the air where the logo side sits on the table. It really doesn't matter they hold up well.

Lol has anyone noticed how much youtube videos came out about the ATH-M50 in the last month? 2 months ago when I tried searching youtube, I couldn't find anything on these cans. Now there is a new video every few days etc.

May 4, 2011 at 1:52 PM Post #827 of 1,431

Quote:

Lol has anyone noticed how much youtube videos came out about the ATH-M50 in the last month? 2 months ago when I tried searching youtube, I couldn't find anything on these cans. Now there is a new video every few days etc.

The power of hype. Heh.

Anyway two proven (personally) mods/things M50 owners can do to greatly improve their M50's sound quality with little-to-no con's:

1)
Remove the foam backing on the other side of the two pleather cushions (after the removal there is still thin but finely-woven cloth protecting the drivers).

This OPENS UP the cans' sound immensely, crisper but just as smooth nonsibilant treble, improved mids, and overall a dramatically less "closed in" sound signature. Credit goes to FearSC549.

2)
Equalize the M50s using a parametric equalizer; there's a whole guide on hfi dedicated to teaching people how to equalize their mid~high fi headphones (low fi headphones are impossible to equalize well) by PiccoloNamek.

It neutralizes the treble - making the sound signature extremely high-fidelity compared to pre-equalized state, boosts the mids appropriately, and straightens out the bass. Overall a $200 sound improvement.

(I absolutely cannot listen to music with my M50s unequalized now, the trebles sound so fake without the EQ I made for it, just to show how much of an improvement this is)

May 4, 2011 at 6:34 PM Post #828 of 1,431
After going through some pages, I think these are going to be my next purchase. My IEM just arent doing it for my in the bass department and I dont mind full headphones.

May 5, 2011 at 11:25 AM Post #829 of 1,431

Quote:
After going through some pages, I think these are going to be my next purchase. My IEM just arent doing it for my in the bass department and I dont mind full headphones.

If you're a basshead, the M50's might not fulfill your bass needs either... they didn't for me. But I would go ahead and try them. They are a good pair to reference from when looking for other headpphones.

May 5, 2011 at 12:04 PM Post #830 of 1,431
Yeah they're definitely getting a lot more popular.

Quote:
No.. I lay them down on my desk every day since I don't have a stand. The pads wont mess up or anything. You can lay them down anyway you want. I either lay them down with the cups clamped and pushing on eachother, or the cups facing the air where the logo side sits on the table. It really doesn't matter they hold up well.

May 5, 2011 at 12:49 PM Post #831 of 1,431
I thought they've been popular for a while? While I was searching for my first pair of higher-end headphones on here a year ago, the M50 was mentioned all the time. I guess before, it was popular in the head-fi community and now it's popular with the public?

Quote:
Yeah they're definitely getting a lot more popular.

May 5, 2011 at 4:09 PM Post #832 of 1,431
I think its time for me to try a pair of these.  I tend to like on ear, but I think these will be great for when my ears get tired or fatigued.  Plus, it'll be a great reference piece for when I want something to compare it against.

I've noticed the price on these have been climbing, and was wondering if anyone know of any authorized dealers, maybe lesser know, that haven't followed this trend yet?

May 5, 2011 at 5:48 PM Post #833 of 1,431
http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/site/1e22eec97c088a8b/index.html

There's a huge list of authorized dealers right from the audio technica website. I bought my m50's coiled cable from amazon about 2 and a half weeks ago fromthe authorized dealer that goes by the name of nova musik, But as far as the cans they are absolutely awesome great sound quality and they have great comfort. I would defiantly recommend them to anyone.

May 5, 2011 at 7:35 PM Post #834 of 1,431
Just succeeded in a relatively simple mod that (unexpectedly) boosted M50's bass by a LOT. Basically I tucked multiply-folded electrical tape (about 20 folds) squares at the 2, 5, 7, and 11oclock positions under each pad between the pleather cushion and the underside cloth/foam film.

Gonna make a separate thread describing it.

May 5, 2011 at 8:41 PM Post #835 of 1,431
Just got mine today and paired them with my Xonar ST and am loving them. Even after a few hours they sound great, so I'm happy to know they will keep getting better for the first 30-40+ hours.

My last pair of high end headphones were Grado SR80's, and they were a bit too fatiguing. I listen to all kinds of music and the Grado's only really seemed to shine at rock, so I'm happy to have a set that can sound great listening to just about anything. I also think this is a good starting point for me. I was originally going to spend a lot more on my set up, but I decided to start with these and see how far they take me. I'd like to know what the Xonar can do too since I'll probably be sticking with it for a while, so I don't want to start at it's absolute highest potential. I'll probably grab another pair of Grado's down the road, maybe the 225/325's since I loved them for rock, but I just couldn't rely on them as my main set.

Edit: I just listened to Jimmy Gnecco - The Heart. He's one of my absolute favorite musicians, but when I listened this album on my old headphones/onboard sound, it was just a mess and I couldn't enjoy it all. I'm guessing it wasn't intended to be listened to on sub-par equipment. However, it's so crystal clear now with the M50's that I can finally fully enjoy it. I'm just speechless.

May 6, 2011 at 11:17 PM Post #836 of 1,431
Well my pair of M50's came in today after debating for the longest time as to which headphones to get.  It's my first pair of higher-end headphones as before I was either using speakers or the Ipod earbuds.  I'm not experienced in reviewing headphones, but one thing I can tell immediately is that I get a lot of different details when listening to music now.  I had gotten a bunch of FLAC quality music in preparation for these headphones and I can honestly say I just get lost in the music, it just sounds so good!

As for the preference of music I listen to, its mainly Hip-Hop/Electronic/Classical/Jazz and so far I am really satisfied with how all these sounds on the M50's.  I even let me girlfriend listen to them who questioned me dropping $140 on a pair of cans and she was really impressed at how good the music sounded.  One thing that does bother me is that my ears get quite warm after a while, but so far the pressure of the cans seem to be just right, maybe just slightly tight for my head, but not uncomfortable.  Another thing is my girlfriend says she can hear the music, even make out the lyrics, but the cans pretty much fit perfectly over my ears so that could be  a concern for those looking into these headphones.

Right now I am jamming to the new Beastie Boys album and it sounds ridiculously good, at least to my ears.  Also going to let them burn-in overnight, but overall really happy with the purchase.

May 7, 2011 at 12:34 AM Post #837 of 1,431

Quote:
Well my pair of M50's came in today after debating for the longest time as to which headphones to get.  It's my first pair of higher-end headphones as before I was either using speakers or the Ipod earbuds.  I'm not experienced in reviewing headphones, but one thing I can tell immediately is that I get a lot of different details when listening to music now.  I had gotten a bunch of FLAC quality music in preparation for these headphones and I can honestly say I just get lost in the music, it just sounds so good!

As for the preference of music I listen to, its mainly Hip-Hop/Electronic/Classical/Jazz and so far I am really satisfied with how all these sounds on the M50's.  I even let me girlfriend listen to them who questioned me dropping $140 on a pair of cans and she was really impressed at how good the music sounded.  One thing that does bother me is that my ears get quite warm after a while, but so far the pressure of the cans seem to be just right, maybe just slightly tight for my head, but not uncomfortable.  Another thing is my girlfriend says she can hear the music, even make out the lyrics, but the cans pretty much fit perfectly over my ears so that could be  a concern for those looking into these headphones.

Right now I am jamming to the new Beastie Boys album and it sounds ridiculously good, at least to my ears.  Also going to let them burn-in overnight, but overall really happy with the purchase.

Maybe your listening volume is way too loud. People who are used to ipod earbuds do that - those isolate 0% so if you commute you are constantly forced to blast at ridiculous volumes on the streets / buses / subways, and over time hearing loss occurs and suddenly you need louder volumes to hear details in music.

May 7, 2011 at 4:03 AM Post #838 of 1,431

Quote:
Maybe your listening volume is way too loud. People who are used to ipod earbuds do that - those isolate 0% so if you commute you are constantly forced to blast at ridiculous volumes on the streets / buses / subways, and over time hearing loss occurs and suddenly you need louder volumes to hear details in music.

That is definitely true, wearing earbuds in the gym I am forced to turn the volume up quite high.  I'm attempting to retrain my ears to be able to listen to music at lower volumes with what hearing I have left.

May 7, 2011 at 8:28 AM Post #839 of 1,431
I got the m50s a few months ago and i use them with my clip+ or with a laptop and they totally blew my mind. I sold my beyerdynamic dt231 pros for these, and the jump is incredible! I won't buy any other closed phone until these die. I also use them with the hippo box+ and I while they dont need amping at all I like the resulting sound (not much of a difference though)

May 7, 2011 at 9:00 AM Post #840 of 1,431

Quote:
That is definitely true, wearing earbuds in the gym I am forced to turn the volume up quite high.  I'm attempting to retrain my ears to be able to listen to music at lower volumes with what hearing I have left.

Maybe put off listening to music altogether for a week or so, it will give your inner ears (all the sensory hair cells etc) much-needed time to heal as much as they can.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back