The Audio Technica M50 studio monitor thread
Apr 24, 2011 at 7:01 AM Post #796 of 1,431
New here, just wanted to say thanks to all of you. I spent a fair bit of time lurking before signing up tonight. I purchased my pair of Audio Technica ATH-M50's at the beginning of this month, and have loved every minute of the experience. These are my first pair of good headphones (and my first pair of full sized cans!), and it was always a toss up between the Sennheiser HD380 Pro or the ATH-M50's. Being able to borrow the Senn's from the stand at work and taking them down to the Audio Technica lounge (in Sydney) solved the problem. If it wasnt for Head-Fi I would have just bought the Senn's.

Apr 24, 2011 at 11:50 AM Post #797 of 1,431

Quote:
I've suddenly become interested in buying a 2nd pair of headphones. Currently I have a pair of Grado Sr225is and I love the sound of them through my Asus Essence sound card. I stumbled upon the M50s and they look very appealing. How would the sound compare to my Grados? What does it do better/worse? How is the soundstage? Is the bass realistic and deep? I was a little weary because I always prefer open cans... But I saw that Neil Peart uses them...

Convince me why I should get them! :)

I listen to mostly Ambient/IDM, Progressive and Jazz. AND AUTECHRE

Derp you missed my post by a couple pages - here is the link
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/478476/the-audio-technica-m50-studio-monitor-appreciation-thread/750#post_7383245

Apr 25, 2011 at 4:49 PM Post #799 of 1,431
Hey everyone, just wanted to share my thoughts on these headphones.

I bought them ~6months ago without knowing anything about them. I basically just walked in to Steve's Music Store (in Toronto) and while they do not have a large selection, and what they have is directly targetted at DJs, the guy working the section was very knowledgable and recommended the M50's as the best they had. I took his word for it and dropped $199 +tax (yes I paid MSRP because I wanted them immediately -also I relate my pride in ownership to the entry price :p).

I have since used them constantly for 8 hours a day 5 days a week, give or take meetings and what not, and I am at about 900 hours burn-in :)

I have never been happier with a set of headphones and would recommend these to anyone.
I have the coiled version and no mods at all.. no amp either.

I love them. They fit my head perfectly and completely isolate me at the office, so much so that my coworkers have to tap me in the shoulder to get my attention as I get totally lost in my own space with these guys... 

The day The King Of Limbs came out was both the most productive (coding wise) and the most enjoyable day I've had in a while (both due to the amazing album and the amazing headphones ) :) 
These totally are what I consider optimal for any work environment if you don't want to compromise on quality or volume..

Anyway.. been lurking here for a bit but thought I'd share my experience.

ps. I ordered the Sennheisers HD598 for home use... starting to think i really need an amp.. been looking at the E7/E9 combo :)

Apr 26, 2011 at 12:18 AM Post #800 of 1,431
^^^ Hey, congrats on pride of ownership, and appreciation of truly great headphones. Thanks for making your first post a nice little write-up on the M50's.
Cheers.

Apr 27, 2011 at 3:04 AM Post #801 of 1,431
I've been lurking for a while.  My uncle gave me a cmoy kit which I built.  Once it was done, I thought, Gee, I don't own a decent pair of headphones.  So after obsessing over headphones for a while, I decided on the ATH-M50.  At first, I was disappointed, but after a week of using them for 2 hrs/day, they've really opened up.  They're simultaneously more accurate and warmer.  Even un-amped, they sound really good which is fortunate because I did a slightly bad job on my cmoy.  I'm definitely going to build a bunch more though, so I can just chalk this one up to experience. 

Apr 28, 2011 at 11:25 PM Post #802 of 1,431
So here is my Story: The ATH-M50 headphones were uncomfortable for my left ear and had some weird pressure on my right ear, and it bothered me but not to the extent that made me return them. The reason for this was because the left ear cushion was slightly different from my right. So I decided to switch it up and put the left on the right side and the right on the left driver. And Guess what happened? =P!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yeah yeah. My genius thinking is amazing.
biggrin.gif

Apr 29, 2011 at 12:36 AM Post #806 of 1,431

Quote:
Encouraging, but I'd still like to know if there's a way to fix it...

Nope. It's an irreversible process. The only thing you can do is to slow it down, e.g. wipe the pads dry after each use, wash with mild soap once every week, etc. It won't get softer though.

Another thing would be to reverse the pads (turn the part that rests against your jaws up to where it rests on top of your ears), because the hardening is due to the oil from our skin, this way you can "recycle" the softer half into taking the most of the beating and overall giving the pads a longer while before they crack, which they will.

Apr 29, 2011 at 1:58 AM Post #807 of 1,431
Well guys, I just searched all the places I know or knew that sold Legit ATH-M50S straight cables for $109 with free shipping, and now the smallest price I can find is $122.. Sooo Even scitscat has its prices up now... is this due to the japan earthquake or something?

Apr 29, 2011 at 2:11 AM Post #808 of 1,431

Quote:
Well guys, I just searched all the places I know or knew that sold Legit ATH-M50S straight cables for $109 with free shipping, and now the smallest price I can find is $122.. Sooo Even scitscat has its prices up now... is this due to the japan earthquake or something?

No, it's more likely due to the earthquake in Washington DC w/ the epicenter at The Fed.  The M50 is doing what everything else is doing in the economy.

Apr 29, 2011 at 2:33 AM Post #809 of 1,431

Quote:
Hey, just a quick question:
Does anyone know how to keep the pads on the M50s from cracking? Mine are getting a bit stiff, and I'm starting to get worried >.<

Thanks!

Hey I got an Idea!!... err.. I mean found an idea!!

Was looking at AH-D7000 review and saw this... This prevents your ears from getting hot and also probably keeps it from cracking as well.
Credits to Lunatique for this idea. If you tighten them on, it should work perfect. Just make sure your sanitary wipe is washed with water and dried before applying to your headphones. If you manage to tighten them enough, they should look just fine.

Apr 29, 2011 at 2:46 AM Post #810 of 1,431

Quote:
Hey I got an Idea!!... err.. I mean found an idea!!

Was looking at AH-D7000 review and saw this... This prevents your ears from getting hot and also probably keeps it from cracking as well.
Credits to Lunatique for this idea. If you tighten them on, it should work perfect. Just make sure your sanitary wipe is washed with water and dried before applying to your headphones. If you manage to tighten them enough, they should look just fine.

Interesting... So where did you get those?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back