The Audio Technica M50 studio monitor thread
Apr 21, 2011 at 5:28 PM Post #781 of 1,431
After, what i'd say is close to 4 months. I have this to say. Bravo Audio Technica, Bravo.. Not a day goes by were I dont listen to some album, just for the sake of hearing them again. They are fantastic.. My first step into the land of 'high end' audio, certainly not the last.
I hope everyone enjoys them as much as I do.

Apr 21, 2011 at 5:34 PM Post #782 of 1,431

Quote:
After, what i'd say is close to 4 months. I have this to say. Bravo Audio Technica, Bravo.. Not a day goes by were I dont listen to some album, just for the sake of hearing them again. They are fantastic.. My first step into the land of 'high end' audio, certainly not the last.
I hope everyone enjoys them as much as I do.

You should try the equalizing guide to equalize the M50 like we did (last page), the results are SOOOO worth the 2 hours listening to static.

Apr 21, 2011 at 7:27 PM Post #783 of 1,431

Quote:
You should try the equalizing guide to equalize the M50 like we did (last page), the results are SOOOO worth the 2 hours listening to static.

What EQ did you use

srry i didnt read the topic

Apr 21, 2011 at 7:43 PM Post #784 of 1,431
Although I loved the different u-shaped sound signature of the M50s vs my old HD 280s which were too neutral and boring, my ears just can't stand wearing them or the HD 280s longer than an hour without becoming very warm. In addition, the clamping force gives me headaches as well despite how much I stretch the headband.

Since I bought the AD700s, I've relegated the M50s for bass-heavy genres, and I use the 700s for everything else. I never realized how important comfort was for headphones, and now I'm on the quest to find a headphone that marries the AD700 and the M50 for under $500 to reduce headphone clutter.

The M50 were great starter/value headphones for $80, but I strongly urge adding AD700s to complement them. That way, you have two very solid headphones for the major divide in genres for less than $180. The M50s focus on hard rock, hip hop, and electronica; the AD700 focus on classical, jazz, acoustic, and vocal music.

Apr 21, 2011 at 7:49 PM Post #786 of 1,431

Quote:
What EQ did you use

srry i didnt read the topic

If you have a couple of hours on your hand, follow this guide

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/413900/how-to-equalize-your-headphones-a-tutorial

It basically negates most sonic flaws in M50's sound signature if you do it correctly, and the resulting sound is warmer, smoother, more accurate and higher fidelity, graininess in voices is GONE with ZERO loss in details (maybe even gain in some detail), etc etc.

Apr 21, 2011 at 8:14 PM Post #787 of 1,431
Hi guys, newbie here......I'm really looking forward to buying the ATH M50s, but there are some different versions of the model. So there is M50S and M50, as well as pro studio and just studio. So which one is the best? 

Apr 21, 2011 at 9:31 PM Post #788 of 1,431

Quote:
Hi guys, newbie here......I'm really looking forward to buying the ATH M50s, but there are some different versions of the model. So there is M50S and M50, as well as pro studio and just studio. So which one is the best? 

the difference between the m50 and m50s is that the m50s version have a straight cable instead of coiled one

don't know about the difference about the pro/prostudio though

~

Apr 22, 2011 at 3:22 AM Post #789 of 1,431
Here's my further adjusted M50 equalizing settings v.2.

I still got the valleys at 4400 and 9250 hz. Those are of course essential in flattening out the trebles.

I also did some fine-tuning based on both 1) my own frequency perception with the SineGen, and 2) the frequency response graph on headphone.com. Namely, bump-ups in the treble, a slight upper mid-range bump up, and a couple of bass-bumps to even out the response in that range.

It's ridiculous how nasty the non-equalized M50s sound to me now. It's VILE! How can anyone LISTEN to the M50 without parametric equalization??!! Haha..

Apr 22, 2011 at 8:00 AM Post #790 of 1,431
I just got my pair yesterday, but I didn't get to really mess with them until now. I love them, I'm rather excited to hear what they sound like after they've been used for a while.

I think when I have the free time on my hands I'll sit down and properly equalize them, but for now I'll enjoy them how they are 
beyersmile.png

Apr 22, 2011 at 7:42 PM Post #791 of 1,431
I do want to mention that I am impressed that they have as much detail as they do. I paid less for them than I did my ms1. While they both sound fantastic the m50 really does sound "more expensive" compared to the ms1 but I prefer the grado sound over the m50 but the m50 sounds great.

Apr 23, 2011 at 3:53 PM Post #792 of 1,431

So I went to the mall today and I heard many headphones comparing them to the m50 including:

Beats solos- only bass everything else crap

Beats Studios - bass way too loose, just shakey bass not tight at all the mids are pretty crappy and highs can show some not so shy sibilance

Bower and Wilkins p5 - almost the same sound signature as the m50's and it was rather comfy and nice I liked it a lot.

Klipsch image 1 - great but the bass was too loose 

V-moda crossfades - good but were not fun sounding and the mids were not so clear and punctual 

Skull candy aviators - bad isolation, but I have heard them before in a quiet e[size=11pt]nvironment [/size]and the treble was nice clear and very fun and exciting, but very weak bass but still tight bass if you could hear it ^^

Able planet True fidelity - surprisingly sounded great I'm actually considering returning my m50's for these because of the value and sound cancelation, but still the bass was rather loose. Still, it sounded great and was very portable.  

Seeing only the p5 sounded better in total and was 200 dollars more, it really makes the m50's look good. Now in specific the aviators sound better treble and mid-wise. The able planets sounded nice with the noise cancelation and in general sounded great. 

Apr 23, 2011 at 10:57 PM Post #793 of 1,431
Hey guys, I just experienced the M50 sound from a friend of mine, and they're amazing. I'm looking to buy those , but since I live in Canada (insanely expensive place) I want to buy them online....but I want to make sure that I dont buy any fake/used/older version of it. So what I found is http://fastlanedvd.com/audio-technica-ath-m50-headphones.html where its pretty cheap but the problem is.....its TOO cheap.....original price is $135 instead of $199.....and free shipping!.....so is this a legit product they're selling?

Apr 23, 2011 at 11:14 PM Post #794 of 1,431
I've suddenly become interested in buying a 2nd pair of headphones. Currently I have a pair of Grado Sr225is and I love the sound of them through my Asus Essence sound card. I stumbled upon the M50s and they look very appealing. How would the sound compare to my Grados? What does it do better/worse? How is the soundstage? Is the bass realistic and deep? I was a little weary because I always prefer open cans... But I saw that Neil Peart uses them...

Convince me why I should get them! :)

I listen to mostly Ambient/IDM, Progressive and Jazz. AND AUTECHRE

Apr 24, 2011 at 1:03 AM Post #795 of 1,431

Quote:
I've suddenly become interested in buying a 2nd pair of headphones. Currently I have a pair of Grado Sr225is and I love the sound of them through my Asus Essence sound card. I stumbled upon the M50s and they look very appealing. How would the sound compare to my Grados? What does it do better/worse? How is the soundstage? Is the bass realistic and deep? I was a little weary because I always prefer open cans... But I saw that Neil Peart uses them...

Convince me why I should get them! :)

I listen to mostly Ambient/IDM, Progressive and Jazz. AND AUTECHRE

Sounds compare?
- M50 should sound warmer and more full-bodied, a tad more balanced (but not too balanced ala neutral).

Do better?
- M50's sound is sort of 'jack of all trades' more or less, it won't do as much justice in rock music as Grados, however it should be more prominent in almost every other music genre
- Its treble is very smooth yet has very high extension, that means it can achieve "sparkle without sibilance", especially when equalized well.

Do worse?
- Like stated above: rock and related music. Those need a fair bit of colouration to sound lively, and Grados' colouration can't be beat. (However note that M50's deeper and stronger bass might make drum aspects of rock and metal much more appealing than Grados)
- Also bass might be a tad loose in your first 100~200 hours of usage, but it tightens up considerably. It won't be as tight as Grados' bass though - mainly DUE to the deeper extension into sub-bass that M50 has. So it's both a pro and a con I suppose, you either get deep bass or tight bass when you're spending below $500.

Sound stage?
- It's closed so...sound stage is not too big. However unless you're gaming or listening exclusively for concert / orchestral music, the sound stage is more than sufficient.

Fidelity?
- M50's sound will sound much more high-fidelity than Grados especially in terms of singer voices, mainly due to the lack of prominent colouration of frequency response. This can be further improved (by a HUGE margin, I know because I did it 2 days ago and it was jaw-dropping) by some precise parametric equalization.

Hope that helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back