The Audio Technica M50 studio monitor thread
Jan 24, 2011 at 4:41 PM Post #467 of 1,431

Quote:
Even a fiio E5 helps a lot with volume even though I find the volume perfectly fine coming out of my iPhone.

Even so my headphones are abnormally hard to drive  , and sound horrible from my oboard soundcard ( well mostly).
And are pretty disappoint on a cleaner source like the ipod nano .
This is driving me crazy
frown.gif

Jan 24, 2011 at 6:00 PM Post #468 of 1,431
NVB...
Well, of course not every headphone will suite everyone's tastes and needs, but it does seem as if there is a genuine issue with yours. Please don't make final judgements on your set as they seem problematic and that would be an unfair assessment.

If once your new set arrives, you still don't care for them, well, that's unfortunate, but not to be taken as a slam against the M50 in general. They just may not be for you. Good luck on the whole RMA thing...

Jan 24, 2011 at 9:10 PM Post #469 of 1,431
Got this as my first headphone a few weeks ago and love it. I usually am playing it at 1/2 - 2/3 volume out of my Clip+, but at a higher volume the Clip+ can drive it to ridiculous, ear splittingly painful, speaker-like volumes. It requires a slightly higher volume setting than my Turbines do, however. The sound is great, noticably better than the Turbine and a lot better than my MEElectronics M6, imo. They also seem pretty sturdy, I've been taking them to school in my backpack every day no problem. Probably 100+ hours of listening hours now.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 29, 2011 at 7:26 PM Post #473 of 1,431
I plug mine into a ZuneHD. Better than my ASUS R2GENE mobo's output, better than my M11xR2 laptop's output. I hope to have an Audinst HUD-MX1 soon. :) 

Jan 29, 2011 at 10:47 PM Post #474 of 1,431
Hi guys, I'm new here and I've been reading a lot on the m50s.. (actually read the whole thread and other reviews/impressions) Anyway, since these aren't available in my country, I asked a friend of mine who's coming home from the US to buy them for me. And what I wanted to ask was this.. will 320kbps bitrate files still sound bad with these headphones? I mean I understand that FLACs are the best but given my limited disk space in my ipod, using FLACS will eat up the space with just a few albums. I understand also that anything lower than 320 will be bad, but will 320 be good enough? I can't exactly afford a cowon right now and I thought I'd rather spend a third of that for an E7 and LOD if necessary instead of replacing my ipod.. 

anyone?

Jan 29, 2011 at 10:48 PM Post #475 of 1,431
Is the M50 suitable for listening to a lot of Piano music? And if they are, then to what extent?
I know... I got some lame cheap questions haha but i wanna know

Jan 30, 2011 at 1:26 AM Post #476 of 1,431
320 kbps should be fine, but if you want a little extra, a LOD and amp will help big time. But if you are only using your iPod, DON'T get the E7, it will be a waste of the DAC. Wait until march to get the new E11 which is going to have better sound quality and only cost around $60. Just hold on if you can and get a cheap LOD with the E11 when it comes out and you'll be golden.
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/527342/e11-a-new-start-of-fiio-s-portable-amp 

Quote:
Hi guys, I'm new here and I've been reading a lot on the m50s.. (actually read the whole thread and other reviews/impressions) Anyway, since these aren't available in my country, I asked a friend of mine who's coming home from the US to buy them for me. And what I wanted to ask was this.. will 320kbps bitrate files still sound bad with these headphones? I mean I understand that FLACs are the best but given my limited disk space in my ipod, using FLACS will eat up the space with just a few albums. I understand also that anything lower than 320 will be bad, but will 320 be good enough? I can't exactly afford a cowon right now and I thought I'd rather spend a third of that for an E7 and LOD if necessary instead of replacing my ipod.. 

anyone?

Jan 30, 2011 at 1:39 AM Post #477 of 1,431
@slapshot Thanks for the reply! Hmm.. the E11 does look great. I guess the difference is that it is just an amp while E7 can also be used as a DAC.. Though I will mainly be using this with my ipod, I will also be using it with my computer possibly in the office and at home... That's pretty tough to decide.. I guess I'll just wait to know more about the E11's features so I can decide between the two.. afterall, you said it's coming out in march, right? My M50s are coming in by march too so I guess I can wait for the amp as well :D

Jan 30, 2011 at 5:57 AM Post #478 of 1,431

Quote:
I plug mine into a ZuneHD. Better than my ASUS R2GENE mobo's output, better than my M11xR2 laptop's output. I hope to have an Audinst HUD-MX1 soon. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Mine sound crappy with onboard sound , but my onboard card really sucks.
When they get back from RMA im going to plug them into a fiio e5 + asus d2 combo when i have the money .
I think that will be enough .

Jan 30, 2011 at 6:24 PM Post #479 of 1,431
 How big are they? I heard they're really big O_o The only full-sized headphones I have tried recently are Beats Studio (SIBILANT) and some unnamed wireless headphones... how big is M50 compared to Beats Studio?

Jan 30, 2011 at 6:41 PM Post #480 of 1,431
well guys, I went through lot of threads here last days and decided to get me a decent, first phones ever, I choosed M50 for a starter, will arrive this week and I hope guys they will be good as everyone here says, will get back when I get them

Users who are viewing this thread

Back