The Audio Technica M50 studio monitor thread
Jan 20, 2011 at 5:06 PM Post #436 of 1,431
I would prefer a straight cable though, since I'm going to re-terminate it. The straight cable ones are out of stock though, and it doesn't seem that they allow reserving them...

Hopefully they don't jump the price up when they get the new stock in.

Jan 21, 2011 at 12:31 AM Post #437 of 1,431

Here's the link: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/477843-REG/Audio_Technica_ATH_M50_ATH_M50_Professional_Closed_Back_Studio.html

Looks like they're back-ordered 2 weeks. And I'm not sure if they take paypal...

B&H do take paypal. That's how I paid for my M50, which incidentally I just sent back today. I really did like them a lot. I had a pair of AKG K271 mkII to audition against. The AKG were a bit too light in the bass, so those went back, too, but the midrange of the AKGs left me wanting a little more from the M50. They actually stacked up pretty nicely in the mids, but I couldn't leave well enough alone. I have a pair of Shure SRH840 on the way. The comments above were a little influence but I also kept seeing mention of the 840s elsewhere, too. I have a feeling they'll split the difference nicely between the other two. Worst case, I return them and order the M50 again.  

Jan 21, 2011 at 12:39 AM Post #438 of 1,431
I just got my pair in the mail today and wow these haven't left my head for the past 4 hours! Amazing how much better these are then my Beats Solo HDs. The bass has started to kick in and I can start to hear the difference with the burn in, but these got a long way to go! Thanks to everyone on here for the help picking these out :D! Gotta get a nice amp now :wink:

Jan 21, 2011 at 10:50 AM Post #440 of 1,431
Just got mine today
gs1000.gif

Amazing bass , great detail so far but i find them too hard to drive.
Im using onboard soundcard for now and their volume is too low...

Jan 21, 2011 at 11:25 AM Post #441 of 1,431
Further impression:
really harsh high sounds , amazing impact from drums and very tight bass , distortion at high volumes , bad stereo separation( the left headphone is louder than the right) ,"metallic" treble if that makes sense , very intimate sound stage( which is good for the stuff i listen too)
I cant really listen to bad quality mp3s now , they really point ou the flaws in a recording
Burning in time: pratiicly none ( 15 minutes or so)
i find the vvery confortable event hough they press a little to hard on the head
PS: OMG THE BASS IS INSANE!!!

Jan 21, 2011 at 1:46 PM Post #442 of 1,431
Are you using an amp or LOD? I found the bass pretty weak straight out of my iPod. But that's good if it is sufficient for you.

Quote:
Further impression:
really harsh high sounds , amazing impact from drums and very tight bass , distortion at high volumes , bad stereo separation( the left headphone is louder than the right) ,"metallic" treble if that makes sense , very intimate sound stage( which is good for the stuff i listen too)
I cant really listen to bad quality mp3s now , they really point ou the flaws in a recording
i find the vvery confortable event hough they press a little to hard on the head

Jan 21, 2011 at 1:59 PM Post #443 of 1,431

Quote:
Further impression:

You are correct. The better the source file (and associated rig), the better the final audio. These are very revealing of bad conversions, mastering, etc.

Also, break-in of 25 to 50 hours should aid in taming the highs. It does for the majority of users.

Enjoy.

Jan 21, 2011 at 5:03 PM Post #444 of 1,431

Quote:
Are you using an amp or LOD? I found the bass pretty weak straight out of my iPod. But that's good if it is sufficient for you.

I am using the onboard sound card on my pc . i was listening to dallas 4 pm by dj tiesto , one of the bassiest tunes i´ve got though

Quote:
Also, break-in of 25 to 50 hours should aid in taming the highs. It does for the majority of users.

Hi there shane , i´ve read some of your post regarding the m50´s that helped me make my mind about buying them
Thanks a lot ! :)
Im burning these in now with pink noise .
Upon further listening i have run in some problems , the left headphone is really i mean REALLY distorted and i hear plenty of static on that headphone.
Have you run into distortion with your m50´s?
Greets John

Jan 21, 2011 at 5:17 PM Post #446 of 1,431
Here also no distortion, even listening to sounds with bass as low as it gets (Markus Schulz - Mainstage) at the loudest volume I can accept.
They are very revealing, so if your card/track gets overdriven (like when playing mp3s ripped by people who don't care about SQ too much), they show it brutally.

Jan 21, 2011 at 5:24 PM Post #447 of 1,431

Quote:
Here also no distortion, even listening to sounds with bass as low as it gets (Markus Schulz - Mainstage) at the loudest volume I can accept.
They are very revealing, so if your card/track gets overdriven (like when playing mp3s ripped by people who don't care about SQ too much), they show it brutally.

Hence why I will be using mine with only FLAC and MP3 320kbps. 
biggrin.gif

Jan 21, 2011 at 5:31 PM Post #448 of 1,431

Quote:
They are very revealing, so if your card/track gets overdriven (like when playing mp3s ripped by people who don't care about SQ too much), they show it brutally

Im using flacs at a pretty high bitrate , here says 981 kbps or something.
It stills distorts on guitar solos , quaite heavily in some tracks.
I need to get a better output though , onboard doens´t cut it and no one i know has a decent soundcard/aimplifer of some sort so i can
rule out the headphones.

Jan 22, 2011 at 10:47 AM Post #449 of 1,431
mine doesnt distort even at out of head speaker volume (really really loud)

and the highs are very smooth, compared to my SR60i,

Jan 22, 2011 at 11:16 AM Post #450 of 1,431
Ok, I have had mine for almost a year and I am now very happy with them. Initially they were pretty heavy on my head and kind of uncomfortable but they fit well now. They are nicer than my DT880 with most of my music when both are unamped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back