The Audio Technica M50 studio monitor thread
May 27, 2010 at 12:40 PM Post #47 of 1,431

Quote:
I appreciate my M50 very much ! 
So here are some threads from the recent time that I think would fit here :

Another ATH-M50 Thread (sorry) .... (snip - edit)

Enjoy ...

Ha!

These are great little cans! Fun, but really very good too.
wink_face.gif

shane

May 28, 2010 at 5:50 PM Post #48 of 1,431
I'm absolutely in love with these.  I know that they aren't the highest in fidelity.  But they are definitely a sound signature I love.  I have them paired with a udac or fuze with a pa2v2 and I love how effortless the music just flows out of them.  I think I'm done for a while.  I'm at a point that I want to be.  They remind me of a more refined ksc75.  The bass is good but I enjoy the treble on these cans a lot. 

May 28, 2010 at 6:09 PM Post #49 of 1,431
After a few days of listening, I've decided that I personally don't really like the M50's. I've had them for about 3 days now, and don't seem to like wearing them for longer than 30 minutes. It's not a problem with the clamping force. It's a problem with the fact that they seem kind of heavy on my head, and the pleather ear pads make my ears really warm and uncomfortable. I'm not sure if this is just because I'm used to IEM's (Although I use Turtle Beach headphones when I play xbox and can wear them for many many hours straight.) I like the sound of the M50's, as they sound similar to my Sennheiser IE8's, although I like the sound of the IE8's better. 

I'm most likely going to be throwing my M50's up on the FS section of head-fi soon since I have a set of Grado SR80i's coming in next tuesday (I hope I like them... or else those are going up on the FS section too. LOL.)

May 29, 2010 at 1:55 AM Post #50 of 1,431

Quote:
After a few days of listening, I've decided that I personally don't really like the M50's. I've had them for about 3 days now, and don't seem to like wearing them for longer than 30 minutes. It's not a problem with the clamping force. It's a problem with the fact that they seem kind of heavy on my head, and the pleather ear pads make my ears really warm and uncomfortable. I'm not sure if this is just because I'm used to IEM's (Although I use Turtle Beach headphones when I play xbox and can wear them for many many hours straight.) I like the sound of the M50's, as they sound similar to my Sennheiser IE8's, although I like the sound of the IE8's better. 

I'm most likely going to be throwing my M50's up on the FS section of head-fi soon since I have a set of Grado SR80i's coming in next tuesday (I hope I like them... or else those are going up on the FS section too. LOL.)

that's too bad,sorry you didn't like them.  I personally am willing to suffer a little if i am getting a good sound (grado!)... but i found the M50  to be super comfortable.

May 29, 2010 at 1:58 AM Post #51 of 1,431

Quote:

I had some comfort issues as well for the first 3-4 days , but after these first days of use (in which I put them on and off many times) we were more familiar with each other , the M50' and I . They are still warm-ish , but I guess that's the deal with all closed circumaurals .

May 29, 2010 at 11:50 AM Post #54 of 1,431
Hey people,

Any ideas on how the M50's will play driven by the Little Dot MkIII tube amp?
This amp likes high impedance phones best, but I've read that 32 ohm phones are ok.
Any thoughts? 
After reading this thread It's going to be a tough decision on the M-50's or the Beyer DT 880's 
confused_face_2.gif
Closed or open is fine. I realize the 880's will have a better sound stage. That would be nice.
I like decent bass but I also like air and detail. No dealers for any of this high end equipment
around me, so I'm left depending on your reviews.

beerchug.gif
 beer-man.

May 29, 2010 at 1:16 PM Post #55 of 1,431
DT880 will blow M50 out of the water in sound quality - no contest. Especially out of a tube amp I think.

May 29, 2010 at 4:00 PM Post #56 of 1,431
I find the bass on these cans can really mess with some recordings. Listening to Pink Floyd and Beatles tracks I found that is some the bass guitar was louder than the other instruments and distracted from the feeling of being at a live event. The bass pressure and wight of the cans also makes my ears "tired" and makes me want to stop listening sometimes. I actually found there was more a difference in detail and positioning between the M50 and the HD 202 in FPS games than in music. The DT880 should blow these away, especially with a good amp like that though I haven't heard them.

May 30, 2010 at 8:29 PM Post #57 of 1,431
Hey guys, I'm looking for some advice for my first purchase of high-fidelity headphones. The two I'm stuck with is the M50, and the re0.
I'll be listening out of an iPod Touch, portability, and comfort is not an issue for me. All I really care about is the sound quality.

The genres of music I listen to are, electronica, techno, old school rap, and a bunch of asian-pop. I am quite aware that they are completely different headphones but I don't really know which is better for what genre. I asked in the one of my threads about what puts out better sound quality and someone said the re0 is better. But, that was in the portable section so I wanted advice from you guys also. Thanks

May 30, 2010 at 8:33 PM Post #58 of 1,431
the RE0 is an in ear headphone and the M50 is a full size,first of all. 
second of all,I havn't heard the RE0 but i read that they are really great IEM. but i doubt they sound in the same level as the M50 ,and from what i read about them they also don't have the bass of the M50..so take your pick.

May 30, 2010 at 8:44 PM Post #59 of 1,431

Quote:
the RE0 is an in ear headphone and the M50 is a full size,first of all. 
second of all,I havn't heard the RE0 but i read that they are really great IEM. but i doubt they sound in the same level as the M50 ,and from what i read about them they also don't have the bass of the M50..so take your pick.

Oh yeah I know about the full size and in ear thing and don't really have a preference. I hear the re-zero is coming out with better bass so maybe that will fix that. What genres of music are bass heavy anyway?

May 30, 2010 at 8:50 PM Post #60 of 1,431

Quote:
Oh yeah I know about the full size and in ear thing and don't really have a preference. I hear the re-zero is coming out with better bass so maybe that will fix that. What genres of music are bass heavy anyway?

don't know about you..but i really like some extra bass punch with my music,the RE0 should be more balanced,neutral sounding and less "fun".  don't get this wrong,I think that the M50 are well balanced but have just a little bit emphasis on the bass and also tiny bit recessed mids.    
have you ever used IEM's before?  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back