The Audio Technica M50 studio monitor thread
Apr 10, 2010 at 2:37 PM Post #31 of 1,431
Well well well. These things sound like FOTM around here :p Wouldn't mind checking them out, if I got a good price on them here in Aus :S

Apr 10, 2010 at 2:42 PM Post #32 of 1,431
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Joboto /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well well well. These things sound like FOTM around here :p Wouldn't mind checking them out, if I got a good price on them here in Aus :S

Only because of the price drop on Audio Technica cans.

Apr 10, 2010 at 6:11 PM Post #33 of 1,431
I <3 my M50's
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 10, 2010 at 6:19 PM Post #34 of 1,431
I'm into my M50. It's probably the first fully closed headphone I've ever liked, and that includes the big guns (well, not the R10 or L3000
wink.gif
) The soundstage is restricted compared to an open can, but other than that is sounds really natural. My only complaint is that the sub bass can be a bit much, which is only a problem for me with bass drum, which is more pronounced then with any other headphone I have. And the mids are just a bit back in the mix. But it doesn't really bother me when I'm listening to them- I'm not distracted by it. I just think the phones would be that much better if the mids were farther forward. But fantastic phones nonetheless. They manage to have a lot of treble detail and plenty of treble energy for them to sound natural (not dark or recessed) without a hint of harshness, which I am very sensitive to.

Apr 10, 2010 at 10:04 PM Post #35 of 1,431
Yeah I've noticed that I enjoy the M50's treble over the D2000's. But I still need to listen to them longer in order to get a final conclusion.

Apr 10, 2010 at 10:45 PM Post #36 of 1,431
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmdevils /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My only complaint is that the sub bass can be a bit much, which is only a problem for me with bass drum, which is more pronounced then with any other headphone I have.

Did you heard one in real life?

Best drums ever
L3000.gif

Apr 11, 2010 at 2:57 AM Post #37 of 1,431
I haven't tried the M50 yet since I just got back to the US but in Japan I tried every single one of the AT studio cans available at Yodobashi Camera and I liked the SX-1a alot and bought them on the spot but they aren't available in the US. Maybe online order though.

Rakuten - audio-technica / ATH-SX1a

Apr 11, 2010 at 3:43 AM Post #38 of 1,431
Quote:

Originally Posted by Faheem /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any idea how would the M50s fair for Electronica -Progressive House/Trance music ?

Iv'e been wanting to get a pair of nice cans for myself .Can't decide between the RX700/900,MS1i and now the M50 !
Mainly looking for good punchy bass , smooth musical (slightly warm/forward) midrange and a detailed treble which isn't very bright .
Sounstage is important as well .
wink.gif

The can would be paired with a uDAC / HiFiMan EF2A ,if that helps.

The M50s were my first "proper" set of cans. I actually had the Senn HD212 Pro prior to it but I don't consider those proper, strangely enough. (hate them actually)

The M50s are magnificent and still one of my faves, a true classic. It's perfect for punchy bass, smooth sound, warmth and forwardness, as well as midrange and dark, detailed treble. I preferred them to every Grado I listened to up to the RS1. (blasphemy! Sorry Grado fans)

Apr 11, 2010 at 3:51 AM Post #39 of 1,431
Quote:

Originally Posted by robjrock /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I went the straight cable purely for aesthetic reasons.

I'd like to compare the M50s to both DT880 & Shure 840. From what I've read the later two may Just edge out the M50 for detail and refinement, but are also much more expensive. So you'd expect some improvement I suppose.

The SRH840 is not better than the M50s by any means IMO. YMMV. M50 is totally natural and has lovely warm bass, SRH840 sounds very "artificial" as if its trying too hard. If you want something in the Shure family to compete with the M50, try the SRH750 DJ.

Apr 11, 2010 at 1:17 PM Post #41 of 1,431
I would definitely get the M50 over the Shure SRH840. But if I were to consider the SRH750 DJ instead I would think twice. I'm still undecided as to whether I like the M50 more than the SRH750 DJ. I have owned the M50 but not the SRH750 so I don't know it too well yet.

I just can't justify buying the SRH750 right now, spent way too much on some other headphones lately.

Apr 29, 2010 at 12:39 AM Post #43 of 1,431
I just ordered a m50 and a shure 840.
I will compate them this week end with the DT770pro80 and the ATH-A900.

Can't wait
tongue_smile.gif

Apr 29, 2010 at 3:00 AM Post #44 of 1,431
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mochan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would definitely get the M50 over the Shure SRH840. But if I were to consider the SRH750 DJ instead I would think twice. I'm still undecided as to whether I like the M50 more than the SRH750 DJ. I have owned the M50 but not the SRH750 so I don't know it too well yet.

I just can't justify buying the SRH750 right now, spent way too much on some other headphones lately.

Interesting! I think by the time it gets to the top cans like these, it may come down more to personal taste that objective quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back