The Audio Technica M50 studio monitor thread
Aug 30, 2012 at 6:40 PM Post #1,202 of 1,431
Quote:
Thats not normal, perhaps you have a fake M50. Did you buy it from an authorized retailer?
My first M50 was underwhelming too and it was because it was a fake. They look exactly the same but sound different.

I bought it directly from amazon so I think it can't be fake.
Quote:
Howdy,
I got my ATH M50wh a little while ago. I have to admit when I started listening to them I wasn't impressed. To sum it up in a word they sounded "sloppy" to me. I at first went back to using my iems more.
But after listening to them for some hours now I am really liking the sound. They no longer sound sloppy to me and I use them all the time now.
Has anyone experienced this "burn in" period or is this basically all in my head (no pun intended).
Doc

Yes, exactly the same here! They sounded sloppy in the beginning. Now after a 30-hour-burn in, the sound of the M-50 improved a little and outperformed the s4s, not by much though ~they left the s4s sound a little congested and bloated~
I am not sure if I am giving the M50 enough juice or no. I am using them through my laptop, which has a very good DAC by the way, and I am amping them with the Fiio6. The laptop alone seems to drive them a little better than when combined with the Fiio6. Both ways the M50 can be driven loud enough, but with the Fiio 6 the M50 seem to have a less pleasant sound signature but honestly more punchy mids. I dunno if you recommend a better amplifier that can make the M50 sound a lot better than the Fiio6.
Quote:
you know, I don't believe in burn in.  What I do believe in is your ears just get use to the changes of going from one type of headphone/IEM to another and then you start to see or notice it's beauty.

Again, this is just me.

Actually the burn-in process did make a little difference to the sound quality. To make it clear, I listened to the M50 in the first 2 hours while comparing them to the s4s. I was definitely underwhelmed with the inferior sound quality of the M50 to the s4s. I left the M50 to play music and pink noise without me listening to them even for a second~ so there was no way that my brain got adjusted to them~ .. I came to listen to them again and I was a little happier to see that the M50 went from being 20% worse to 20% better than the s4s. However, if this is all I am getting from the M50, then difinitely it is not a worthy upgrade :/
I hope they continue to sound better or I can find an amplifier that can drive them way better than the Fiio6 ..

Aug 30, 2012 at 7:16 PM Post #1,203 of 1,431
Yes, exactly the same here! They sounded sloppy in the beginning. Now after a 30-hour-burn in, the sound of the M-50 improved a little and outperformed the s4s, not by much though ~they left the s4s sound a little congested and bloated~

I am not sure if I am giving the M50 enough juice or no. I am using them through my laptop, which has a very good DAC by the way, and I am amping them with the Fiio6. The laptop alone seems to drive them a little better than when combined with the Fiio6. Both ways the M50 can be driven loud enough, but with the Fiio 6 the M50 seem to have a less pleasant sound signature but honestly more punchy mids. I dunno if you recommend a better amplifier that can make the M50 sound a lot better than the Fiio6.

I know a lotta people say burn in is in your mind but I'm glad you experienced the same thing and Im not going crazy :p

I was able to find acceptable sound through the e6 but I much prefer my e11 with the M50. After a lot of messing around I finally found the sweet spot to my ears using that amp.

(Apple Lossless > ipod 6th gen > ipod EQ setting "treble booster" > fiio L9 cable > E11 -- Low power switch selected ON -- Gain selected HIGH -- eq setting "1")

I know it sounds absolutely crazy to boost the highs in the ipod EQ on the M50 of all things but for some reason the above settings on the e11 by themselves help bring out the mids and muffle the highs but with the eq change, to my ears it gives very nice detailed yet SMOOTH highs. Still detailed but somehow less fatiguing. (BTW that eq setting raises 2k to about 16k in very slight increments -- doesn't touch the lows so you don't get distorted bass).

I can only use the word smooth because it had the same effect on the bass too. Nice and present but just pleasant to listen to.

Anyway, point being,Im sure if you play around with your e6 long enough with different eq settings you can find something that pleases your ears. But the e11 is a definite upgrade in SQ to the e6 IMO. I wish i was an amp expert to tell you more but you can read this thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/596482/the-sub-100-portable-amps-shootout-8-1-amps-compared
and this one:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/620775/the-sub-200-portable-amps-shootout-11-8-amps-compared

Aug 30, 2012 at 8:07 PM Post #1,204 of 1,431
Quote:
I know a lotta people say burn in is in your mind but I'm glad you experienced the same thing and Im not going crazy
tongue.gif

I was able to find acceptable sound through the e6 but I much prefer my e11 with the M50. After a lot of messing around I finally found the sweet spot to my ears using that amp.
(Apple Lossless > ipod 6th gen > ipod EQ setting "treble booster" > fiio L9 cable > E11 -- Low power switch selected ON -- Gain selected HIGH -- eq setting "1")
I know it sounds absolutely crazy to boost the highs in the ipod EQ on the M50 of all things but for some reason the above settings on the e11 by themselves help bring out the mids and muffle the highs but with the eq change, to my ears it gives very nice detailed yet SMOOTH highs. Still detailed but somehow less fatiguing. (BTW that eq setting raises 2k to about 16k in very slight increments -- doesn't touch the lows so you don't get distorted bass).
I can only use the word smooth because it had the same effect on the bass too. Nice and present but just pleasant to listen to.
Anyway, point being,Im sure if you play around with your e6 long enough with different eq settings you can find something that pleases your ears. But the e11 is a definite upgrade in SQ to the e6 IMO. I wish i was an amp expert to tell you more but you can read this thread:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/596482/the-sub-100-portable-amps-shootout-8-1-amps-compared
and this one:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/620775/the-sub-200-portable-amps-shootout-11-8-amps-compared

Thank you sir! Very helpful...

Aug 30, 2012 at 10:19 PM Post #1,205 of 1,431
Another clear observation of what the 30-hour-burn-in did to the M50 is that it totally healed the sibilance it suffered from in the beginning. I am very sensitive to sibilance. While the s4s are one of the worst earphones in this area, the M50 managed to keep up with it in the first 2 hours of listening. Now there is almost no sibilance whatsoever with the M-50. Total improvement in this area :)

Sep 25, 2012 at 3:29 PM Post #1,210 of 1,431
I wonder how these headphones can handle cold temperatures (I'm talking about 10°C - 20°C subzero)?

I have these headphones myself and I just want to be sure so I won't break them accidentally...

Sep 27, 2012 at 12:15 AM Post #1,212 of 1,431
I got my m50 about a week ago from the sound Professionals I love these headphones there amazing. Next I want to get a open set of headphones so that way I have both
I just got my fiio e6 tonight from headroom I'm in heaven with these to together lol I was using my headphone amp in my pc's sound card its a Asus dg but I think I like the sound of the fiio driving them better I love these headphones for the money I paid I feel like there worth every penny and some :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Sep 27, 2012 at 1:44 AM Post #1,213 of 1,431
anyone agree that the newer production m50 sounds more balanced than the old one? (blue+white box = old; teal+white box = new)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back