The Audio Technica M50 studio monitor thread
May 23, 2012 at 9:39 PM Post #1,166 of 1,431
Quote:
yeah, i also get a strange rattle sound, its like the earcup is hitting the part its attached to, is that what you hear

Hey yeah, so I tried putting pressure against the plastic covering going right over the headphones, and that seemed to do the trick, only problem is that I can't think of a long term solution. I did open them up and there were no internal malfunctions, except for the surface of the driver behind the plastic mesh. 

Jun 4, 2012 at 5:10 PM Post #1,167 of 1,431
Hey guys !
so I just received a pair of M50WH on top of my older M50, while I haven't actually burned them in yet I still do believe they sound a bit different from my older M50s, but that may just be the padding. Oh, BTW they did change the padding found on the M50, it's plushier, thicker, and imo comfier. However, because of the thicker pads the headband will not form against your head, but instead put  that pressure on a smaller portion of your head, which may possibly render bothersome. I didn't actually think the clamping force was excessive, but that may be subject to the fact that I do love my headphones hugging my head. 
Now, aesthetically the M50WH is absolutely gorgeous, the white paint has just the slightest gloss and  it really works out nicely. Now considering my older M50s are pretty beat up, I thought the new M50WH had much more rigid joints, in a good way. This really favors portability and its folding up feature. 
Just in terms of sound, their wonderful. I don't understand why some people are starting to doubt the M50 bang for the buck. I still think it is one of the best, if not the best, for under 150, even though they used to be able to be found for more around 120. Still, they sound terrific, maintaining a fun yet accurate sound. I found the bass nice and punchy; the mids were, imo, more forward than the older M50; and the treble has a bite, but is still not fatiguing. While the sound stage isn't particularly large, it is spacious and does a good job of surrounding you with lush mids. 
Hopefully, I'll be writing a more thorough review once they are done burning in  :D

Oh BTW, still can't get over how versatile these are, and no rattle on these, so i wonder what is was for my other ones, wasn't noticeable, but still there if you looked for it. 

Jun 5, 2012 at 2:27 AM Post #1,168 of 1,431
Quote:
Mine have never rattled.

x2 
L3000.gif

Jun 5, 2012 at 4:07 AM Post #1,169 of 1,431
No rattle hear either.   If your running compressed music or audio that clip's the M50's are extremely sensitive poorly encoded audio.   (Could be a possible explantion for the "rattle" or cracking sounds yall folks are hearing.   I hear it to from time to time and its ALWAYS the source.

Jun 18, 2012 at 3:02 PM Post #1,170 of 1,431

Users who are viewing this thread

Back