The ATH W1000's
Nov 26, 2003 at 7:54 AM Post #16 of 31
Thanks for all the replies.

I don't think the 'protective foam' removal ruins the HD600 sound, I think it gets a new character and a bit more precice. I've had my HD600's for a couple of months now, and I really like them, however, in the future I want to try something new (new brand on the headphones, new type (closed))

I don't really feel that the HD600's have very much warmth about them, they are really pleasing when you listen to classical music (Mozart, Haydn, etc.) but when listening to modern/old rock (Three Doors Down, Iron Maiden, etc.) they feel kind of far away from the music and lack's warmth. Maybe this is be cause I don't have an amplifier or a good cable yet, but it's comming (a EAR90 (swedish produced amp, really good, and a mobius/cardas)

Now to the W1000's. Do they have a warm, enclosng sound (you feel like you sit in the orchestra when you listen to classical music?
Im not really looking for an extremly better headphone that the HD600's, just something with another charater. (plus that the W1000's wood design is..... NICE) I've also concidered the CD3000's, but not really that much.

But what would you guys who have the W1000's with rather good set-up for them recommend? AT's cheaper amp + W1000? Would cost about $900 from audiocubes2 (note, I may not buy these for 3 years because I have no solid income. Im just researching)

Nov 26, 2003 at 8:20 AM Post #17 of 31
Mindless,

absolutely nothing warm about w1000. No offense given to people who enjoy them here is my quick sum. Sterile, percise, brightish.

May i recommend an amp such as the gilmore v2 with them, if your looking for an uncharacterising, detailed amp (and affordable at that) to enjoy classical music with.

Make no mistake about it though, this combo will not be warm at all. Perhaps you would look to copper cables instead of silver to smooth out the sound a touch. I suppose if you found the exact right cable, this setup would sound perfect for you : ]

Also, why are you worrying about 3 years from now. Window shopping is one thing, but some people don't even consider cars 3 years in advance. I say worry about the purchase when the money is there. Otherwise you may just drive yourself mad and succumb to buying now (which is what i think you really want ; ) )

Nov 26, 2003 at 9:03 AM Post #18 of 31
to me, and this is because i slightly control the bass and treble tones, the W1000's are rich, heavy, warm, and full sounding headphones that do in fact put you right up in the midst of a huge orchestra....also meaning that the soundstage is pretty dern big. but again, that's just my set-up
smily_headphones1.gif
this is compared to the phones i've heard and owned...the V6, HD600, MDR F1, and Ety 4P/S. to me, on my system, everything just seems perfect!

Nov 26, 2003 at 1:18 PM Post #19 of 31
Quote:

Originally posted by radrd
Not even close, according to Bangraman who extensively compared them. No, that myth was started by a member named Kevin who isn't around anymore. Apparently he has a system that makes all headphones sound the same.
rolleyes.gif

Yes, that was odd. It was some other member who had talked to this particular member and he said they were effectively the same. I questioned this and the other member said that while he couldn't answer the question, the member with both cans had good gear. So that was all the more puzzling. Forget who the two members were but I remember the relayer of this info to be a fairly regular poster.

It should also point out the difference that a significant source tweak can bring. While (having tried and owned lots of sources) I speak in generalised tones, it is possible to effectively EQ up and down various areas of the frequency response of any phone by mods or perhaps even by an equipment mismatch.

For example, I got pretty much what I expected when I put the DT880 on my amp modded for a W2002. I was trying to make the W2002 brighter and more overtly resolving, while cutting the bass a little. The icy cold presentation (colder than the W1000) I got when I used the DT880 would have been disconcerting for any period of extended listening.

In generalised terms, I'm with mjg here in that there is nothing warm about the W1000. The comparative lack of bass makes it even more so. The staging and instrument separation is also distinctly collapsed in the fore-aft plane (although not in the left-right plane) when compared to the CD3000.

At the current Audiocubes price, unless you want art as well as function the CD3000 represents much better sonic bang for the buck, and you get a nice case too (if that kind of thing bothers you). It will go as high as the W1000 so as an HD600-minus-foam user, you will get the highs you want, it will resolve just as well as the W1000, the bass is definitely there... although as I keep saying, I did find it a little lumpy sometimes... and the soundstage is "to die for".

I did find the W1000 more agile with Early Music but I think the CD3000 is a much better all rounder, and more capable than the W1000 in practically all aspects.

Nov 26, 2003 at 1:58 PM Post #20 of 31
sorry bangraman, 'Early Music'?
confused.gif

Nov 26, 2003 at 4:03 PM Post #21 of 31
Quote:

Originally posted by ROK3

Ima Nanji Desu Ka? (how much is it?)

"Ima nanji desu ka?" = What time is it?

"Kore wa ikura desu ka?" = How much is it?

Nov 26, 2003 at 4:07 PM Post #22 of 31
Quote:

Originally posted by Takashi

Takashi-san -- in your experience, is Yodobashi the best place in the Tokyo area to buy Audio-Technica headphones? Any other store recommendations?

Nov 26, 2003 at 5:35 PM Post #23 of 31
Quote:

absolutely nothing warm about w1000. No offense given to people who enjoy them here is my quick sum. Sterile, percise, brightish.

Yup, without extensive system matching and even EQing, they are certainly sterile, precise, and brightish. They also seem to be quite system sensitive. In the wrong setup, you are going to see it's negative characteristics highlighted to a fault.

Nov 26, 2003 at 9:54 PM Post #24 of 31
Quote:

Originally posted by Takashi

Thanks for correcting my error! I don't know what the heck I was thinking... Now you see why I have to bring a friend to translate everywhere I go! I guess that's what I get for posting while drunk. (shakes his head in shame)

--ROK

Nov 26, 2003 at 11:00 PM Post #25 of 31
Quote:

Originally posted by adhoc
sorry bangraman, 'Early Music'?
confused.gif

Er.. yes. Early stringed chamber and other types of music. Madrigals, etc. Music with Fa-la-la and no vibrato, to be concise.

- "Ima nanji desu ka?"
I didn't notice that... Takashi, you should have held off the correction. You'd have had legions of Head-Fi members in yodobashi pointing to phones and saying "ima nanji desu ka?"
I'd pay to see that
evil_smiley.gif

Nov 27, 2003 at 2:34 AM Post #26 of 31
ouch, 449 for the W1000s? I'm sure glad I got mine at 315. For 449, I don't think the W1000s would be all that worth it. I'd say go for the CD3000s, from what I've heard about them. That said, I love my W1000s and probably will never sell them.

Nov 27, 2003 at 11:42 AM Post #29 of 31
Quote:

Originally posted by Music Fanatic
Takashi-san -- in your experience, is Yodobashi the best place in the Tokyo area to buy Audio-Technica headphones? Any other store recommendations?

For the selection, probably Yodobashi at Shinjuku Nishi-guchi (station west) has the best variety. But their price is virtually unnegotiable. They are somewhat foreign-language friendly.

For the price, Fujiya-Avic at Nakano would be the best.
http://www.fujiya-avic.co.jp/d-style/audio.html

They don't have english web page but it says W1000 for 35500 yen plus tax (=$340 total) and in stock. They at 3rd floor of Nakano Broadway, shopping center right out of Nakano station(Chuo-Line) north exit.

Other than that, Dynamic-Audio and Yamagiwa, both at Akihabara have good selection and prices could be negotiable.

http://www.dynamicaudio.com/whats-dyna/5555.html
http://www.dynamicaudio.co.jp/audio/...f/test_hp.html

http://www.ishimaru.co.jp/y-i/tokyoten.htm
(Yamagiwa is the one far right, lower)

Nov 27, 2003 at 1:15 PM Post #30 of 31
Quote:

Originally posted by bangraman
- "Ima nanji desu ka?"
I didn't notice that... Takashi, you should have held off the correction. You'd have had legions of Head-Fi members in yodobashi pointing to phones and saying "ima nanji desu ka?"
I'd pay to see that
evil_smiley.gif

Man, I just ruined a perfect prank!
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back