The Apex Teton Review and Impressions Thread
Oct 24, 2014 at 12:44 AM Post #76 of 242
I tried all your mentioned tubes with Teton, and from my ear, rectifiers make tinny difference on Teton compared to driver tubes. I have all those Crazy NOS tubes for 5U4, 6SN7/6F8G, 6AS7G/421A/5998, you name it I have it, but Teton does not require those crazy tubes to sound its best. 

Oct 24, 2014 at 2:47 AM Post #77 of 242
I tried all your mentioned tubes with Teton, and from my ear, rectifiers make tinny difference on Teton compared to driver tubes. I have all those Crazy NOS tubes for 5U4, 6SN7/6F8G, 6AS7G/421A/5998, you name it I have it, but Teton does not require those crazy tubes to sound its best. 

Thanks Chengka7. Which tube after the 6SN7/6F8G makes the most difference? Would that be the output tube? And the rectifier makes the least impact?

Oct 24, 2014 at 3:09 AM Post #78 of 242
I've had my Teton for about a month now.Only problem is that I sent my HD800s away to be hard-wired and they have not returned yet.So I'm using a crappy pair of very old Sennheiser travel headphones,about $30s worth! .( I bet there's no one else out there with a $5000 Amp and a $30 headphone!)
So, I'll give more detailed impressions later on!

It was Spritzer who wrote somewhere on this Site(another thread) that the Rectifier should have no influence on sound from a properly designed Amp.So far, if Spritzer's right , then the Teton is a "properly designed Amp" ! I can't detect any variation with different Rectifiers.

Before buying the Teton, I took advice from Mark(no way of getting to hear one here in the UK). I even bought the RCA 6f8g on his recommendation. I had all the other brands of 6f8g.Since his comment regarding the Sylvania, I have tried one. There is clearly subtle differences. I've not yet done much tube rolling as I considered I'd  wait for the return of my HD800s, so more later on.

However,I agree with Mark,the SQ from the Teton is amazing,straight out of the box! These little old travel headphones are singing like I've never heard them before. I'm hearing amazing detail from my recordings that I've never heard before. I do a fair amount of usage early in the Morning, when it's very quiet, I've actually been caught out several times thinking I'm hearing somebody outside! Several times I've looked outside the room or out the window. Then smiled to myself when I realise where the 'new' sounds are coming from!

There are several makers of 6f8g adapters. I had a problem with one adapter, bought from ebay, which gripped the cap too tightly and the cap came off. I have a set made by Woo Audio which are decent quality.I think from memory they were about $40 each. Incidentally,I've also bought some 'raisers' from Woo for when I start to do more tube rolling(the stock tube sockets are very good quality but I don't want to be sending the Amp back to the US from the UK, should one of them get damaged)

I'm sure to be  posting more favourable comments in due course.
David

Oct 24, 2014 at 3:15 AM Post #79 of 242
Further to the above,
I've been in contact with Pete by way of PMs and from his comments , he does have a 'favourite' Rectifier, so question marks all round on that one! Some of my contacts ( in the Tube World) also allude to the fact that Rectifiers do make a difference!! So ......??

Oct 24, 2014 at 3:23 AM Post #80 of 242
Output tubes on the Teton make huge difference. But it is not because the tube, it is because of the headphones you are using. I have WE421A, and Tung-sol 6528. Teton works awful paired with LCD-3F on WE421A, because of the output impedance. However, if you switch the tube from WE421A to 6528, LCD-3F comes back to life. However, I really recommend 6528 on Teton since it has the lowest output impedance if I was not wrong. And in 6528 Teton can even work well with Grado. My Grado sr60e really shines with Teton. I only prefer WE421a on HD800, but the difference is just meh..... 

I totally agree with the fact that rectifiers make no difference on Teton. And I also agree that even the driver tubes have subtle impact on the sound signature. I have tried almost every possible tubes on Teton except 6080 tubes,. the difference is really subtle to my ears. 

Oct 24, 2014 at 3:53 AM Post #81 of 242
Thanks guys, looks like there's no point trying to get those crazy expensive WE422A then
tongue_smile.gif
 Still I can't help but wonder if I should bid on a U52...

Pete has a favourite rectifier? Hmm, he sort of alluded to one in his emails, but if I understand him right, his preference seemed to be based on the fact that it's a slow start tube and it looks nice, rather than due to sonic reasons. Wonder if we're talking about the same one?

Oct 24, 2014 at 2:01 PM Post #82 of 242
  Thanks guys, looks like there's no point trying to get those crazy expensive WE422A then
tongue_smile.gif
 Still I can't help but wonder if I should bid on a U52...

Pete has a favourite rectifier? Hmm, he sort of alluded to one in his emails, but if I understand him right, his preference seemed to be based on the fact that it's a slow start tube and it looks nice, rather than due to sonic reasons. Wonder if we're talking about the same one?

I would not rush out to buy a U52 because I find it sounds too aggressive for long listening sessions, at least in the Teton.  For example, with a Mullard U52 and a Tung Sol BGRP 6F8G, the Teton sounds too bright for my tastes using unmodded HD800s.

I agree with Chengka7 that the 6528 is an excellent output tube for the Teton.  According to Pete Millett, the amp's output impedance is 50 ohms with the 6528 vs. 100 ohms with a 6080/6AS7, making it is a good choice if you plan to use LCD-2/3/X or Grados.  I even prefer the 6528 to other output tubes when using the HD800, mostly because it is extremely quiet. 6AS7s have a reputation for being noisy and that has been my experience with them (although the ones I own were originally bought from Singlepower, so it would not be surprising if they were on their last legs.)

Oct 25, 2014 at 12:52 AM Post #83 of 242

I would not rush out to buy a U52 because I find it sounds too aggressive for long listening sessions, at least in the Teton.  For example, with a Mullard U52 and a Tung Sol BGRP 6F8G, the Teton sounds too bright for my tastes using unmodded HD800s.

I agree with Chengka7 that the 6528 is an excellent output tube for the Teton.  According to Pete Millett, the amp's output impedance is 50 ohms with the 6528 vs. 100 ohms with a 6080/6AS7, making it is a good choice if you plan to use LCD-2/3/X or Grados.  I even prefer the 6528 to other output tubes when using the HD800, mostly because it is extremely quiet. 6AS7s have a reputation for being noisy and that has been my experience with them (although the ones I own were originally bought from Singlepower, so it would not be surprising if they were on their last legs.)

Thanks, I presume your impressions so far are with unmodded HD800s? Mine are stock as well and will probably stay so for some time.

Oct 28, 2014 at 11:05 PM Post #85 of 242
Yes, my impressions are based on the unmodded HD800s.

The Teton is so good with HD800s that I never listen to any other headphones anymore.

Thanks, I've placed an order for one 
bigsmile_face.gif

Are you using the stock rectifier tube that came with the Teton? Which other rectifiers did you try besides the U52?

Oct 28, 2014 at 11:43 PM Post #86 of 242
I tried every tube you could find, not any noticeable difference. Save the money for something else, even HD600 would be a better buy than those expensive NOS rectifiers. 

Oct 28, 2014 at 11:45 PM Post #87 of 242
really no need for tube rolling for Teton, all those tubes would be great, and even the cheapest ones. Just maybe roll some driver tubes. 

Oct 28, 2014 at 11:51 PM Post #88 of 242
Yes, I use the stock rectifier, a NOS Sylvania 5U4G. I have tried a Mullard 5AR4, Mullard U52, and a Phillips 5U4G that Kevin Deal at Upscale Audio has been singing the praises of. I think Todd sent the loaner with another rectifier, but can't remember which one. I also have some new production Chinese rectifiers, but they sound crappy.

Nov 2, 2014 at 7:51 PM Post #89 of 242
I chose Apex Teton after auditioning Decware, Alo, and EAR HP4 amps....Apex sounded the best to me, HP4 running second.
My circumstances in life are changing and Im thinking of putting mine up for sale. Anyone who'd like to snatch it up before I post it for sale, let me know.
Branislav

Dec 1, 2014 at 7:33 PM Post #90 of 242
Thinking about the Pinnacle vs the Teton for driving the HD800. What would you choose? What are the differences?
I prefer an amp that can drive orthos, preferably the HE6 (though that would be a stretch - not a must). Thx!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back