The Apex High Fi Pinnacle
Mar 16, 2010 at 6:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 45

Todd

Headphone Vinyl Meister
Member of the Trade: TTVJ Audio
HI All,

I am very pleased and excited to announce our new product line designed and built for TTVJ by Pete Millett. APEX High Fi Audio is our new lineup of headphone amplifiers and other high end components.

To start off the product launch we are announcing today our new top of the line pre amp/ headphone amp - The APEX Pinnacle.

I have always wanted a great pre amp for my speaker rig that would also serve as a top of the line headphone amp. This is the piece of gear I have always wanted for myself and now it is available to everyone!

We will be showing the Pinnacle off at CanJam in Chicago (its first public appearance) so we hope you can come by and take a look and have a listen. We will post pictures in the coming weeks.

4438861372_84c45ed49c.jpg

The Apex Pinnacle

The Apex Pinnacle is a highly evolved vacuum tube preamplifier and headphone amp.

For the highest quality tube sound without harshness or distortion, it employs two single-ended tube stages. The input stage uses the venerable 6SN7 tube, often regarded as the best tube ever made for audio voltage amplification. The power stage uses triode-connected 307A directly-heated pentodes, or optionally Sophia Electric PX4 triodes. This carefully matched arrangement cancels some of the softness - actually, second-order harmonic distortion - that is often associated with single-ended tube amplifiers. The result is pure, clean, musical sound.

Both the input and output signals are coupled through very high quality audio transformers, providing truly balanced inputs and outputs. Three inputs are accommodated, from either balanced or unbalanced RCA or XLR connections. The versatile output circuitry allows the connection of high or low impedance headphones, as well as a power amplifier. The input and output selections are made via a front panel switches, which activate relays that are strategically located to keep the signal path direct and pure.

Components are carefully selected from throughout the world, from hand-machined Japanese Teflon tube sockets and aluminum knobs to transformers custom-made in Europe. Unlike many so-called "high-end" audio components, the Pinnacle is not just a prettied-up marginal design implemented with poor-quality parts from third-world nations. It is truly a high-end component from design through assembly, hand-built in the USA.

To keep the noise level as low as possible, the Pinnacle places the power supply circuitry in a separate enclosure, which may be located up to five feet from the amplifier. Special transformers, Silicon Carbide rectifiers, and a sophisticated filament supply help ensure the Pinnacle is as quiet as it can be.

Specifications

Tube complement: Input - one 6SN7 • Output - two directly-heated 307A (triode connected) • Options include Sophia 6SN7 input tube and PX4 meshplate output tubes.

Inputs: Three, all with XLR and RCA connectors, balanced or unbalanced

Line output: XLR and RCA, balanced or unbalanced

Volume control: High quality DACT stepped attenuator

Headphone outputs: 1/4" TRS unbalanced, 4-pin XLR or dual 3-pin XLR balanced • Can drive loads from 16 ohms and up, including difficult headphones like the AKG K1000

Dimensions: Amplifier - 17" wide x 3" tall x 11" deep • Power supply - 17" wide x 3" tall x 11" deep

Power: 120V or 240V, 50/60Hz

Selling Price $10,000.00

Mar 16, 2010 at 6:22 PM Post #2 of 45
Awesome. I am glad to see that he has delivered another top notch amp. Its always good to know there is something else out there if i was to get bored with the ba. Any pictures?

Mar 16, 2010 at 10:58 PM Post #7 of 45
Awesome. I'm going to try to swing by Chicago this year, but it would be difficult as a student. Oh well. Besides, it will be well out of my price range for a long time - but if it turns out to excel as both a preamp and a headphone amp it may actually turn out to be good value despite its deceptively high price tag.

Mar 16, 2010 at 11:37 PM Post #8 of 45
I can't wait for the torrent of photos from CJ10 =D

Mar 17, 2010 at 10:16 AM Post #9 of 45
Todd,

Sounds great! Congratulations to you and Pete for putting out another terrific product!

Mar 26, 2010 at 2:22 PM Post #12 of 45
Congratulation Todd, another terrific amp
I'm very happy for my 307A
I wish the best

Mar 26, 2010 at 6:51 PM Post #13 of 45
HI All,

We hope to have pictures in a couple of weeks and you are guaranteed that we will post them here and on our website.

It also looks like we may have one more APEX product for the show in Chicago though it may be a prototype... keep an eye out here for further info.

Todd

Mar 27, 2010 at 12:51 AM Post #14 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Todd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HI All,

It also looks like we may have one more APEX product for the show in Chicago though it may be a prototype... keep an eye out here for further info.

Todd

The plot thickens!
C'mon Todd spill the beans... even if it is a prototype at least let us know what it's going to be... !

May 4, 2010 at 9:13 PM Post #15 of 45
HI All,

Pictures are only 1 week away. The enclosures have been shipped and should arrive to Pete by the end of this week. Then you will see the Pinnacle in all its glory.

It will be a two piece unit with the amp in one enclosure and the power supply in a separate box.

The first one built has the Sophia Electric™ S.E.T. Princess PX4 mesh plate tubes!

4579639826_6a6e500732_o.jpg

Pete tells me it can drive any headphone and has a lot of power - and it sounds fantastic. I, of course, will give my full review once I have it in house.

So keep coming back to check for pics!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back