The ancient Creative Fatal1ty headset, why do I like them so much?
Aug 23, 2021 at 9:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

MRK1

100+ Head-Fier
I have a pair of Creative Fatality that I got nearly 20 years ago, which are a crappy plastic gaming headset (with removable microphone that I long lost) named after some silly "pro gamer" fool that I know nothing about outside of memes that make fun of him and the god awful ridiculous "products" he got paid to get his silly nick attached to. I modded them at some point, removing the red plastic from the drivers, making them fully open-back, probably distorting the already horrible sound they had in the beginning to the point any normal person who knows anything about sound quality would be utterly disgusted at how bad they sound.

Anyway, for some reason I can't dislike them, they sound really dark and have a huge amount of bloated bass despite the open back (they don't go very deep though but what is there hits very hard, so it's not like open back headphones can't have an enormous amounts of bass), but the sound is so sweet and addictive to me. Also they are very light and comfortable despite not even being fully circumaural. No matter what high end or even mid end headphone I try, when I remember the Creative Fatal1ty still exists in some forgotten, dusty and possibly haunted corner of my room, I try them out of curiosity (they are still fully working, perfect band and earcups, no rattling either, making me wonder how people can break high end cans made of hard plastic and metals when these survived my teenage gaming years just fine) and I'm like "welcome back old friend, I missed you so much" every time I put them on. This nasty unrefined sound is just delicious to me.

Anyway, this was my first somewhat decent headphone, and I got them around when I was 15 years old, that means these are over 18 years old now, and they still work and sound so sweet to my crusty old ears, and on top of that and are supremely comfortable, I can keep them on forever. This is a partial list of the "big" headphones I owned since the Fatal1ty:
>ATH M50x
>Sony MDR1A and MDR1A MK2
>Sennheiser HD598, 599 (my top favourite headphone) and the god awful Urbanite and Momentum Over Ear
>Various portable JVC cans including the "Carbon Nanotube" portable cans that were praised around here many years ago
>Beyerdynamic DT990 (which are most likely going back because I'm hating their hollow metallinc sound, but maybe it's just sound signature shock coming from the 599)

And it's not like I dislike these "audiophile approved" headphones, the 599 for example sounds just beautiful to me, I happen to enjoy a little too much the inferior sound of my first headphone. And it's not like I just like them for my favourite heavily distorted genres like Industrial Hardcore or Doomcore, but even treble heavy sounds like Trance or jpop or even the odd instrumental or classical track I listen to (yes I do listen to classical, mostly baroque, I am Italian after all). Oh well, maybe I should try some vulgar "gaming headset" from the current year, that's probably what my ears are attuned to (hearing damage?), I need that monster bass in my life.

Anyway, is there anyone here who knows that feel? Anyone who likes some obscure and objectively crap sounding headset a little too much?

Here's a blurry photo (sorry, busted camera on my phone) of my two big headphones and the old Creative Fatal1ty in the middle.

Attachments

• crap.JPG
    crap.JPG
    379.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Fatal1ty_o_113299.jpg
    Fatal1ty_o_113299.jpg
    377.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back