The amazing sounding, very easy, almost free RME mod!
Apr 14, 2004 at 7:19 PM Post #106 of 182
Much faster, thanks.

Heheh, Photobucket was working so well, I guess I went a little overboard. But hey, it's free.
wink.gif

-Ed

Apr 14, 2004 at 11:36 PM Post #107 of 182
Oh thanks ooheadsoo, yeah my "server" didn't really handle all that attention too well :p

Sorry about the dust on the back of the pictures, i tried to wipe off as much as possible but i didn't want to use anything that'd cause static and the tissue was getting torn by the solder.

One question about the mod that i have, will removing the capacitors and that one op-amp (for a unbalanced output) alter the recording on the card?

Apr 15, 2004 at 12:13 AM Post #111 of 182
hi all. first, thanks for getting the word out on this card and being brave enough to poke at it with a hot metal stick! i'd like to try this mod, but i use the digi for recording as well as listening. how does this mod (unbalanced) affect the input stage? is it effectively eliminated? thanks.

Apr 15, 2004 at 1:40 AM Post #115 of 182
No problem re: the hosting. As long as I don't go over my limit, which I don't think I will come anywhere remotely close to doing.

Apr 15, 2004 at 5:03 AM Post #117 of 182
Quote:

Originally posted by Iron_Dreamer
To reiterate, only the BALANCED mod eliminates the analog input capabilty of the card.

The UNBALANCED mod leaves the analog input stage in perfect stock working order.

Only if you want to use the other 1/4" TRS jack. If you make a wiring harness or some kind of XLR "dongle" then you could probably keep the Analog input.

It's just easier and cleaner to use the 1/4" input jack for the other balanced output channel.

-Ed

Apr 15, 2004 at 5:03 AM Post #118 of 182
Iron_Dreamer, can you edit some diagrams up for step four and five of the guide you posted on the first page? i'm not exactly sure what pins you mean.

Quote:

Step 4: Hold the card with the outputs facing left. On the underside of the card, locate the 8 legs that used to be attached to the capacitors you just removed. You will be soldering the second and seventh of those legs to your new capacitors (counting from left to right).

Step 5: Align one of your capacitors between the second leg discussed in the last step, and the lower of the two solder points at the underside of the 1/4" output jack, and cut the capacitor legs to an appropriate length. Repeat for the upper solder point of the jack, and the 7th leg. Be sure that the capacitor legs don't touch any other parts of the card.

Apr 15, 2004 at 5:32 AM Post #119 of 182
Quote:

Originally posted by CEO Matt
Iron_Dreamer, can you edit some diagrams up for step four and five of the guide you posted on the first page? i'm not exactly sure what pins you mean.

This pic should clarify:

Unbalanced.jpg

You need to size the capacitor legs to connect the points as shown by the red lines on the pic. If you use polar caps (no pun intended) put the marked end facing the output jack. Need any more tips?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back