The amazing sounding, very easy, almost free RME mod!
Apr 14, 2004 at 12:32 AM Post #92 of 182
Thanks for the edited photos everyone
biggrin.gif
and i apologise about the slowness of the images, if they're running off me then they're on a 128kbps link. not the most efficient server, but hey enjoy the guide. :p

Apr 14, 2004 at 1:32 AM Post #94 of 182
Yes, in order to use it in balanced mode you must have balanced cables (that have 2 signal carriers per channel, and XLR or 1/4" plugs) and an amp with balanced input, like the Grace, Blockhead, custom Gilmore, etc. Balanced means that each channel runs two signals, the original or positive, and the inverted (180 degrees out of phase) or negative, the amp then uses the difference to eliminate noise and hum, and is useful for making very long cable runs as well. Ed and I didn't notice a major sound quality difference between the card running balanced or unbalanced, however the balanced card does output a higher volume level, with less ground loop hum if that is a problem with your amp.

Apr 14, 2004 at 3:04 AM Post #96 of 182
Send them to me, i'll host.

Apr 14, 2004 at 3:21 AM Post #98 of 182
Cool. Looking forward to the painted numbers guide
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 14, 2004 at 7:16 AM Post #99 of 182
Quote:

Originally posted by Iron_Dreamer
Yes, in order to use it in balanced mode you must have balanced cables (that have 2 signal carriers per channel, and XLR or 1/4" plugs) and an amp with balanced input, like the Grace, Blockhead, custom Gilmore, etc. Balanced means that each channel runs two signals, the original or positive, and the inverted (180 degrees out of phase) or negative, the amp then uses the difference to eliminate noise and hum, and is useful for making very long cable runs as well. Ed and I didn't notice a major sound quality difference between the card running balanced or unbalanced, however the balanced card does output a higher volume level, with less ground loop hum if that is a problem with your amp.

Thanks for the explanation, that clears that up.

Apr 14, 2004 at 10:36 AM Post #100 of 182
Wodgy, Glassman, and everyone else, here are the optimized full resolution pics courtesy of CEO Matt. It's slow, but download it. It's a very detailed pic, right down to all the dust on the card.

Full Res Stock RME PAD Front

Full Res Stock RME PAD Rear

So what needs to be removed and other mods to complete the balanced output mod?

-Ed

Apr 14, 2004 at 4:12 PM Post #101 of 182
My offer to host stands if you want to take advantage of it.

Apr 14, 2004 at 4:59 PM Post #103 of 182
check where and through which conponents does the signal from green marked pins go.. down the way to the TRS..

Apr 14, 2004 at 7:06 PM Post #104 of 182
Oops, forgot I could just download them and host myself without getting you to upload to me
tongue.gif

Working on it as we type.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back