the allman brothers
Jul 14, 2006 at 10:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

bluzeboy

500+ Head-Fier
I just listened to a CD that compelled me to make my first post in this forum, I’ve been lurking and reading the recommendations, the CD is
Instant Live: Alltel Pavilion at Walnut Creek
By the allman brothers & it is the finest live recording I have ever heard ,if you like this style of music do yourself a favor & pick it up.
Just thought I would share.

Jul 15, 2006 at 2:37 AM Post #2 of 8
Their Live at Fillmore East album is supposed to be one of the greatest live albums of all time and I believe that too. Do check it out.

Jul 15, 2006 at 10:30 PM Post #3 of 8
Fantastic band, some of the best musicians (and most soulful white dudes) ever to play rock 'n roll. For starters I recommend the following 2CD set:

Stand Back-- Anthology

If you have SACD, get Eat a Peach on SACD their best album.

Jul 15, 2006 at 10:50 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by bluzeboy
I just listened to a CD that compelled me to make my first post in this forum, I’ve been lurking and reading the recommendations, the CD is
Instant Live: Alltel Pavilion at Walnut Creek
By the allman brothers & it is the finest live recording I have ever heard ,if you like this style of music do yourself a favor & pick it up.
Just thought I would share.

Which show, I probably was there? I saw my first ABB show in 1971 and I've seen a bunch of shows since. I have recordings of the 9.30.2005, 8.10.2003 and 8.24.2002 Walnut Creek shows and a bunch of other live ones as well. If you like the live shows ( and that's how there best IMO) I recommend getting the SUNY at Stonybrook show recorded on 9.19.1971, one of the last shows Duane played with them before his death. Another good one but very hard to find was done in 1992 as a benefit for the International Rett Syndrome Assoc. The thing that makes this one unique is that it's all acoustic with Greg playing acoustic guitar rather then keyboards. Of course, you should get Filmore East (the SACD version is great) if you haven't already.

As for their commercial studio releases I recommend The Allman Brothers Band, Eat a Peach, Idelwild South, Seven Turns and Hittin' the Note.

Oh, and go see them live next chance you get.
cool.gif

Jul 17, 2006 at 12:54 AM Post #6 of 8
I have all the CDS mention above as several live CDS i was just struck by the quality of the recording.
it does not say which show of the several & Walnut Creek.

Jul 17, 2006 at 5:57 AM Post #7 of 8
The Allman Brothers are one of the all time great american rock bands.I was lucky enough to see them live in Charlotte back in the 70s,(while Oakley and Duwane were still alive).It was in a small venue called the Park Center in front of a sold out audiance.One of the best live shows I have evere seen.

Jul 17, 2006 at 7:46 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by milesbeyondjazz
The Allman Brothers are one of the all time great american rock bands.I was lucky enough to see them live in Charlotte back in the 70s,(while Oakley and Duwane were still alive).It was in a small venue called the Park Center in front of a sold out audiance.One of the best live shows I have evere seen.

Man, I saw so many great shows at the Park Center. Brings back a lot of memories.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back