The albums that really matter
Jan 17, 2005 at 1:16 PM Post #46 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Riordan
i have to agree. to break the trend, here's one really influential 80's album:

my bloody valentine: isn't anything.
this album almost single-handedly started a genre ("shoegazing")

there's an argument whether MBV or Jesus and Mary Chain's "Psychocandy" really started shoegazing. when "Psychocandy" came out in 1985, it hit everyone like a ton of bricks. here's this new sound that's like noise from hell mixed with bubblegum-pop melodies. when MBC did it with "Isn't Anything" three years later, the sound was already vaguely familiar.

Jan 17, 2005 at 3:35 PM Post #47 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by elrod-tom
As I'm thinking about this thread, I'm thinking it's not "albums that matter a lot", but "albums that really matter". So while there's a LOT of music floating around out there that is very good, how important it is as groundbreaking stuff is questionable. Having said that, here is my rather short list of stuff that really matters:

Beatles – Revolver
Beatles - Rubber Soul
Beach Boys – Pet Sounds
Bob Dylan - Blonde on Blonde
Bob Dylan - Blood on the Tracks
The Who - Who's Next
The Who - Quadrophenia
Rolling Stones - Exile on Main Street
Van Morrison - Astral Weeks
The Doors - The Doors
The Clash - London Calling
Bruce Springsteen - Born to Run
Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
Alan Parsons Project - I Robot
Cream - Disraeli Gears
Elvis Costello - My Aim is True
Led Zepplin - I
The Sex Pistols - Nevermind the Bullocks...
Nirvana - Nevermind
The Pixies - Doolittle (see Nirvana)
Radiohead - OK Computer
U2 - The Unforgettable Fire

That's my list (for now)
biggrin.gif

That's pretty close to mine though I would add three:
Patty Smith-Horses
Roxy Music-Roxy Music
David Bowie-Hunky Dory

Jan 18, 2005 at 2:58 PM Post #49 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by bong
there's an argument whether MBV or Jesus and Mary Chain's "Psychocandy" really started shoegazing. when "Psychocandy" came out in 1985, it hit everyone like a ton of bricks. here's this new sound that's like noise from hell mixed with bubblegum-pop melodies. when MBC did it with "Isn't Anything" three years later, the sound was already vaguely familiar.

yes, that was the 'almost' in my statement
biggrin.gif

jesus and mary chain did the groundwork, but while psychocandy brought beautiful noise and feedback to pop, some etheric quality inherent in most shoegazing was absent. psychocandy is energetic - shoegazing on the whole is not.

so from my perspective JAMC were there first but didn't really start the genre - and with their later albums (which i like a lot, even the often-maligned 'automatic') they went in different directions.

Jan 19, 2005 at 8:53 PM Post #51 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamWill
On the basis that prog rock was a horrible dead-end that self-imploded I vote all prog rock be struck from this thread on the basis that the only way it influenced anything else was through reaction. And if you're going to nominate it on that basis you shouldn't pick the *GOOD* stuff, but the ridiculously wiggy self-absorbed stuff which caused people to react against it...*now donning flamesuit
biggrin.gif

It's pompous for you to slag off a style of music just because you don't happen to like it. And you have the nerve to 'vote' to have it stricken from this thread. You sir, are a jerk!
biggrin.gif

Jan 19, 2005 at 10:05 PM Post #52 of 58
itza2mer: on the contrary, sir, I see nowhere in the post where I said I don't like prog rock. I said it was a disastrous dead-end that imploded - I never said it was bad!
biggrin.gif

I posted in a slightly exaggerated fashion just for fun, I guess. My point was that *good*, *developed* prog rock didn't really influence much else positively. It was its own thing. *Bad*, *overblown* prog rock had much more of an _influence_, as the backlash against it was a powerful influence in the 1980s alternative scene which produced stuff like R.E.M., the Pixies, the Flaming Lips, and had a massive influence on virtually all music since. You could also nominate *early* prog rock, on the basis that it influenced *late* prog rock, which - as it was a huge genre in itself - makes that a legitimate nomination. So go for the early, genre-defining stuff, or the late, ridiculously overblown stuff.

Jan 19, 2005 at 10:41 PM Post #53 of 58
"The only band that matters - The Clash!" I love London Calling, and bands like Rancid only wish they could be them - and bands like Green Day already stopped trying. And I'd forgive Avril Levigne (but not Ashlee Simpson) if she just did a faithful cover of this whole album in a tasteful way and just left it at that.

Jan 19, 2005 at 11:11 PM Post #54 of 58
Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
The Doors - The Doors
Jethro Tull - Thick as a Brick & Aqualung
Aerosmith - Get Your Wings
The Beatles - Revolver
Guns N Roses - Appetite for Destruction
Beach Boys - Pet Sounds
Todd Rundgren - A Wizard a True Star
Nirvana - Nevermind
Black Sabbath - Paranoid

Jan 20, 2005 at 1:32 AM Post #55 of 58
Am pretty new here at Head Fi and just found this thread.

Pink Floyd - Darkside of the Moon
Pink Floyd - Animals

IMO I think that Stevie Ray Vaughan's music in general did alot to bring blues to the forefront in music.

Jan 25, 2005 at 3:31 PM Post #57 of 58
I think it's strange that noone has mentioned Nick Drake so far. If I'd have to choose an album it would probably be Bryter Layter... or Five Leaves Left... or Pink Moon... Nope, can't choose :)

Jan 26, 2005 at 8:35 AM Post #58 of 58
Ok, I'll play... In an effort to keep my list as short as possible, I'll list only some albums from early 1990's that haven't already been mentioned.

Faith No More - Angel Dust (1992)
First time I heard this album I was like "What the f#¤k is this stuff?!". It still is one of my favourite albums and was well ahead it's time when it was released. They made a bizarre masterpiece instead of playing it safe.

Alice In Chains - Dirt (1992)
What can I say, I still remember when I first heard "Would?"...

Ministry - Psalm 69: The Way to Succeed & the Way to Suck Eggs (1992)
Actually some of their earlier albums like "The Land Of Rape And Honey" and "The Mind Is a Terrible Thing to Taste" might be even more influential, just listen to Pretty Hate Machine and you'll know what I mean. But Psalm 69 is still a milestone in industrial music.

Korn - Korn (1994)
They cooked up a nice soup out of different style influences (metal, hip hop etc) and created their own trademark style. I don't actually want to know how many bands have copied them in the whole Nu Metal disaster.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back