The album/CD/song that made you cry....
Mar 11, 2003 at 10:03 PM Post #92 of 118
Feeling Yourself Disintegrate - Flaming lips (This is a strange song, it almost seems as if wayne is at the edge of tears. It's just so nakedly emotional, and meaningful. It's one of those things that you just have to experence)

Great gig in the sky - Pink floyd (I don't know why this song gets to me, it just always has)

Wish you were here - Pink floyd (This should go without saying)

And, of course, adagio for strings

There's a few dashboard confessional songs that rarely leave eyes dry.

I think i'm just a bit over-emotional at the moment. Me and my girlfriend of 6 months broke up today, and i'm a good bit depressed over it

Mar 11, 2003 at 10:37 PM Post #93 of 118
Quote:

Originally posted by Orpheus
can you describe the feeling you had when you were crying?--why exactly did you cry? was it a certain passage? did you remember an event in your life? or you just don't know... just kind of happened?

these happy, cathartic tears come from a feeling of personal connection with what i'm watching, when something is speaking directly with my sense of self (spirit, soul, whatever). the physical feeling is almost as if my heart is swelling and overflowing (like the grinch's--not the head-fi grinch but the one who stole christmas). it is embarrassing sometimes to be watching a children's animation (like "totoro") and become so overwhelmed by my own memories of nature and childhood, and the sheer joy of some of the scenes (for example when the girls fly with totoro on his spinning top), and feel tears on my face. i'm usually pretty reserved with my feelings and am not considered by people who know me to be that nelly, but i guess i'm just a softy at heart.

Mar 12, 2003 at 3:45 PM Post #95 of 118
Quote:

Originally posted by Orpheus
when you say weeping, do you really mean you cried?--or you didn't actually physically produce a tear?

I daresay every great composer has been racked with sobs at some point -- even Stravinsky and Hindemith, though neither would ever admit it.

Mahler helps the novice to understand the emotional intensity of [his] Ninth Symphony by embedding it with musical reference and leitmotif that suggest nothing more than a fervent but failed attempt to accept his own death. I analyzed Mahler's use of references (or rather listed the references in exact sequence) on another thread on this site about classical music (can't remember which). But the music can have this effect even if you're not thinking of the references. It isn't a question of the possibility of crying when you hear the piece. It's a matter of learning *not* to cry when Mahler lingers continually on three descending notes that mean *liebewohl*.

Redshifter could relate something similar with regard to the program of Gorecki's Third Symphony, Second Movement. I once made a CD copy for the Polish cleaning lady in my office. The next time she saw me, she brought me vodka-filled chocolates and wept and told me the story of her missing son.

One is allowed to feel overwhelmed at the sound of intellectual beauty. Amid a lifetime of exposure to disease, cruelty and poverty, it is wrenching to glimpse utopia in sound -- wrenching and liberating. Bach is conveying his view of heaven, I think, hence his pure complexity -- as a friend of mine once said, "God is math." Bach's music is itself an argument in favor of the idea of Platonic forms. It argues for this and is at the same time the argument's paradigm.

One secret of being a composer and/or performer is learning how to pour out one's heart without tears. Bach represented tears endlessly in his music -- one example is the movement from Ich Hatte Viel Bekummernis in which Christ's tears are depicted as jagged descending musical lines. If you don't think Bach himself wept musically through this device (commonly called a *baroque affection*), then you've never read his poetry. Yes, Bach wrote verse after verse.

Mar 12, 2003 at 5:27 PM Post #96 of 118
scrypt,
was that the symphony of sorrowful songs by goreki? i have it and it is heartwrenching.

one play that always tears at my heart is "romeo and juliet". even with the film versions by lurhman and especially zeferelli i need a long time to calm down after the final scenes. for me it is the subtext of the death of childhood and that special love that only the young and naive can experience that speaks to me.

Mar 14, 2003 at 4:42 PM Post #98 of 118
Quote:

Originally posted by redshifter
scrypt,
was that the symphony of sorrowful songs by goreki?

Yes it [was]. One need only look at the origins of the poems set by Gorecki to see why my cleaning lady lost it.

(I'm always impressed with the education and knowledge of the Polish cleaning staff in my building. They know far more about difficult music, film and fiction than the critics and reporters who sit at the desks. I'm ashamed to have astute and knowledgeable people working in such low positions when they deserve so much better.)

May 4, 2003 at 1:13 AM Post #101 of 118
The FIRST SONG that ever made me cry ? Hmm...I'm gonna have to say:

Sit on my face and tell my you love me by the cast and crew of Monty Python. Something about that song just brings me to tears. ...Oh the memories.
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 4, 2003 at 1:40 AM Post #102 of 118
Lynyrd Skynyrd - Simple Man

There have been multiple songs that have been overwhelming and such, but something about this song just breaks me down... its really a great, great song. I would try to explain it, but, only listening to it can explain it.... it's just so full of family and love and life. It makes me breathless.

-Chad

May 4, 2003 at 2:01 AM Post #103 of 118
The Gladiator theme song. The song bring out the sad theme when the gladiator had everything at the begining to fighting and trying to revenge his family and die to be with his wife and kid at the end.

May 4, 2003 at 2:11 AM Post #104 of 118
Quote:

Originally posted by Sweet Spot
The FIRST SONG that ever made me cry ? Hmm...I'm gonna have to say:

Sit on my face and tell my you love me by the cast and crew of Monty Python. Something about that song just brings me to tears. ...Oh the memories.
very_evil_smiley.gif

The last song that made me cry was about 10 seconds long: Monty Python's Farewell To John Denver
tongue.gif
(well it was funny before he actually died).

May 4, 2003 at 2:22 AM Post #105 of 118
Gin Blossoms - As Long As It Matters

Users who are viewing this thread

Back