The AKG Q701's
Apr 16, 2016 at 3:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Dirtyworks

New Head-Fier
I have a few questions about these cans.

I've owned them for a few years now. I bought them when my HD650's were nicked. At the time, I had thought they were some of the best that AKG had to offer, but after looking at their current lineup, I have a hard time believing that. Is that true? That the Q701's were AKG's best cans, at one point.

Also, I've done a little mod on them- placing a bit of microfibre cloth behind the screen, thus making them even more semi-open. Are there any other mods that are worth doing? I've already got a custom made cable (that I made), and it seems to be pretty good. The cable is made of silver-coated OFC, with a gold plated mini-XLR on the headphone end, and gold plated mini-TRS on the plug side. Should I be happy with that? Obviously soldered with silver.

Aug 30, 2017 at 6:06 PM Post #2 of 3
"At the time, I had thought they were some of the best that AKG had to offer, but after looking at their current lineup, I have a hard time believing that. Is that true? That the Q701's were AKG's best cans, at one point."

I was lucky enough to have found a brand knew/unopened Austrian-made (2012) Q701 for sale on Amazon recently and I bought it. I was shocked at how much more accurate and "reference quality" it sounded compared to the K712's I also own. It's a special headphone IMO.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2017 at 9:34 AM Post #3 of 3
I have a few questions about these cans.

I've owned them for a few years now. I bought them when my HD650's were nicked. At the time, I had thought they were some of the best that AKG had to offer, but after looking at their current lineup, I have a hard time believing that. Is that true? That the Q701's were AKG's best cans, at one point.

Also, I've done a little mod on them- placing a bit of microfibre cloth behind the screen, thus making them even more semi-open. Are there any other mods that are worth doing? I've already got a custom made cable (that I made), and it seems to be pretty good. The cable is made of silver-coated OFC, with a gold plated mini-XLR on the headphone end, and gold plated mini-TRS on the plug side. Should I be happy with that? Obviously soldered with silver.

I did the German mod opening up the bass port. It is covered from the factory with a small circular pad. This opens up the bass without any effect on the mid's or high's. It is reversible if you want. To view how it's done go to you tube AKG Q701 bass mod.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back