The AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Thread
Jan 31, 2017 at 4:15 AM Post #4,336 of 4,580
  Hey guys, I recently purchased a K7XX which I'm yet to receive and was looking out for a DAC/AMP to pair it with. Now, the issue is that for the moment I need something portable, so I can use it on the go (with other cans, obviously) as well. I understand I might not be able to drive them to full potential but I'm willing to compromise a little.

This is my shortlist, if anyone has experience pairing the K7XX with any of the following and could let me know a few comments I'd be very grateful!

- Oppo HA-2 (SE)
- Fiio E18
- Cayin C5DAC
- Shanling H3
- Dragonfly Black / Red
- Fiio X3 ii (yes, it's a DAP, I'm considering this option as well)

Thanks!

I just recieved mind yesterday and I'm using my Fiio E18 to power them and it has plenty of power to spare.

Jan 31, 2017 at 12:02 PM Post #4,338 of 4,580
  I'm using a Fiio E11K (A3) to power them, and it doesn't have enough juice unless you max everything out. You need something pretty powerful to power them. The 62 Ohm impedance figure has to be way off.

On high gain on my E18 level 5 is just about the limits of comfortable listening. As I A/B them with my RHA T20i the RHA are at the same volume at level 3. The K7XX have a wider soundstage, it also seems to produce more detail in the treble and the mids are more recessed but bass it not as deep or pronounced even though it is very fast, they both image very well. My T20's have well over 500 hours on them and the K7XX have around 20 so we'll see how they sound after they burn in.  They compliment each other very nicely. I'm running both on high gain with the bass boost turned on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_hNsq5e5W0 You're welcome.

Jan 31, 2017 at 1:09 PM Post #4,339 of 4,580
I'm using a Fiio E11K (A3) to power them, and it doesn't have enough juice unless you max everything out. You need something pretty powerful to power them. The 62 Ohm impedance figure has to be way off.

Nothing wrong with the 62 ohm impedance figure. Innerfidelity measured K7XX as 66 ohms, which could be the difference in the specific estimation process. Close enough not to discredit AKG's specification.

Jan 31, 2017 at 3:02 PM Post #4,340 of 4,580
Need to consider how loud a person listens for the amp requirements since every 3dB louder requires double the power.

For me the X3ii will drive the K7XX quite well since my normal listening level is 65-75dB, at this level the X3ii is at 75-85/120 and gain is high.  On my desktop amps the K7XX sounds a little better but its not a night and day difference that easy to notice for most.

Feb 1, 2017 at 10:08 PM Post #4,341 of 4,580

It is about that much.

Higher impedance doesn't mean harder to drive. Sometimes it's quite the opposite for amps.

Feb 2, 2017 at 1:18 PM Post #4,342 of 4,580
Need to consider how loud a person listens for the amp requirements since every 3dB louder requires double the power.

For me the X3ii will drive the K7XX quite well since my normal listening level is 65-75dB, at this level the X3ii is at 75-85/120 and gain is high.  On my desktop amps the K7XX sounds a little better but its not a night and day difference that easy to notice for most.

+1

And also if the person is adding a lot of EQ or not.

Feb 16, 2017 at 8:47 AM Post #4,346 of 4,580
Hey everyone

Impulse bought the k7xx last night although I said to myself no more headphones (still have like 6 pairs at home though)

My situation is a bit complicated

I want to buy a DAC and AMP for a nice speaker setup and feed the DAC with the Chromecast Audio, but also want to have a good dac - amp combo for the k7xx

Best would be to use the same DAC but i got like 4-5m between the computer I'll use with the K7xx and the amp - speaker

What really good value dac - amp combos do you recommend for k7xx which might be used for speakers too?

Thanks!

Feb 16, 2017 at 10:38 AM Post #4,347 of 4,580
My situation is a bit complicated

I want to buy a DAC and AMP for a nice speaker setup and feed the DAC with the Chromecast Audio, but also want to have a good dac - amp combo for the k7xx

First of all, your Chromecast is a DAC. No DAC you would buy would do anything to change the sound on it.

Unlike the regular Chromecast, The Chromecast Audio (CA) plays directly from Google Play Music (or whatever app your using). Your phone only tells the CA what to do, nothing streams from your phone to the CA. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back