The AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Thread
Dec 27, 2016 at 3:31 PM Post #4,321 of 4,580
Has anyone here had an issue with the K7XX plastic sliders snapping? I've been starting to hear of it happening to some of the AKG headphones after 2years.

Does it affect anything alot if they do break?

Dec 29, 2016 at 3:59 PM Post #4,322 of 4,580
About to receive my K7XX in the mail and I am really excited. Are there any mods that are a must do? Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do to pad the headband? I would think that the leather headband would start to be uncomfortable after a bit...

Dec 29, 2016 at 4:01 PM Post #4,323 of 4,580
  About to receive my K7XX in the mail and I am really excited. Are there any mods that are a must do? Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do to pad the headband? I would think that the leather headband would start to be uncomfortable after a bit...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fashion-Large-Headphone-Headband-Protector-Cushion-Pad-Knitted-Button-Fitting-/201648728864

there's things like those all over ebay. Maybe someone on here might have bought them for AKG headphones. 

Dec 29, 2016 at 4:50 PM Post #4,324 of 4,580
The K7XX are some of the most comfortable headphones I own, along with the Nighthawks, I would run them without changing anything and go from there, you might love them as is.
Or I could just be a lunk head with no feeling in my skull, lol.

Dec 29, 2016 at 7:40 PM Post #4,326 of 4,580

No padding needed on the headband for me since they are quite lite.  Don't do any mods until you have had some time with them and even then I don't think any mods are needed, I like them just the way they are, if anything the amp is what I would be more concerned with to drive them properly.

Dec 30, 2016 at 12:15 AM Post #4,327 of 4,580
  http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fashion-Large-Headphone-Headband-Protector-Cushion-Pad-Knitted-Button-Fitting-/201648728864

there's things like those all over ebay. Maybe someone on here might have bought them for AKG headphones. 

Deja vu, I actually bought them for a beyer clone and ended up using it on a M50X and sold that as well I stuffed a small pad under the adjusting band to apply more pressure on ze ears.

If your head is of decent size these will be extremely comfortable and "feels like nothing's there" while retaining decent clamp. 
Doesn't maintain decent clamp on me however because my head is not particularly big.

Jan 3, 2017 at 3:56 PM Post #4,328 of 4,580
Haven’t even had a chance to get the HD6XXs burnt in and these show up to lean with the big boys….previously had the K712s and going from memory the “Red’s” appear to be the exact same headphone, with a slightly better fit (less loose)…again going from memory… And as I noted in my K712 review awhile back “When AKG meets Sennheiser and vise versa” in contrast to their initial release back in 2003 the current AKG K7 and Sennheiser HD6 series appear to be getting closer than ever to sounding similar..... the AKG having a bit more base extension and bloom.
http://www.head-fi.org/products/akg-k712-pro/reviews/11476

Jan 18, 2017 at 3:34 PM Post #4,331 of 4,580
May be just my imagination but I'm finding these K7XX's a more balanced/ satisfying listen over my previous K712s, sort of the poor mans HD800S, much more so than the HD6XXs I also have on hand....direct comparisons between the 7xx and 800S obviously show the superiority of the Sennheiser technology but a few minutes on my head and all is forgotten. Nice headphone IMHO
wink.gif

Jan 19, 2017 at 9:19 PM Post #4,332 of 4,580
Just got mines yesterday and since these are my first cans not sure if it's suppose to sound that way it sounded but it's not clear at all in all ranges. My 770's sound a lot more crisp and clear sounding. Powering them with an O2 amp/dac.

Jan 20, 2017 at 7:28 AM Post #4,333 of 4,580
Just got mines yesterday and since these are my first cans not sure if it's suppose to sound that way it sounded but it's not clear at all in all ranges. My 770's sound a lot more crisp and clear sounding. Powering them with an O2 amp/dac.

The K7XX is not the brightest headphone so it might take a few hours for you to get used to the sound.  Could also be source files, DAC, or amp, all have an impact on the sound

Jan 21, 2017 at 1:38 AM Post #4,335 of 4,580
The sound is very similar to the 712, the low frequencies have more body in the 7xx, the high frequencies reach higher in the 712.
The differences are very subtle, but they are there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back