The AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Thread
Feb 10, 2016 at 11:55 PM Post #3,542 of 4,580
  In the  speaker world a 16 Ohm impedance is on the high side.  Today many speakers have an impedance of 4 Ohms, made possible by the high current and high power solid state amps available now.  I don't know whose point this supports, but it argues that high impedance (for a loudspeaker) made a better match with the low power low current tube amps of that period. The high impedance loudspeaker was made all the more sensitive by their high impedance.  I understand that for headphones 16 Ohms is a low figure. 
I gave you an example of the value of high impedance for speakers . Why are there headphones with insane impedances of 300 or higher Ohms anyway??? I don't think it is a match for low power tube amp.   I hope someone who does can chime in here.  

Thanks for the explanation. I didn't realize there was a difference between speakers and headphones.

Feb 12, 2016 at 7:00 PM Post #3,546 of 4,580
  New "Red" version dropping on Valentines Day

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/akg-x-massdrop-k7xx-limited-edition-ruby-red?mode=guest_open

I was hoping they wouldn't do a drop for a while.  Now I really want a pair and that means I will probably need a DAC and amp to run them with.

Feb 12, 2016 at 10:04 PM Post #3,549 of 4,580
  I think the red accents add a touch of flair to the stealthy, suave all black.

FTFY.
tongue.gif
The red accents do add a nice, pleasant pop of color though.

Feb 13, 2016 at 2:24 AM Post #3,551 of 4,580

FTFY.
tongue.gif
The red accents do add a nice, pleasant pop of color though.

thanks for the grammar correction 
biggrin.gif

Are the rods user replaceable? I think they would look perfect if the red accents were on just the ear cups and leather strap.

They should be, I've seen some paint the existing rods on other 7 series

Feb 13, 2016 at 8:12 PM Post #3,553 of 4,580
Quick question before these show up tomorrow. I already own a pair of Chinese made non-anniversay k702s. Is there any reason at all why I would want to pick the K7XXs up? Would I get the same effect by buying a pair of anniversary ear-pads and being done with it? Having the K702 soundstage with a bit more warmth and bass rumble is very tempting.

Also I'm in Ireland so I would have to pay import duty on the things. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back