The AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Thread
Oct 25, 2015 at 2:22 PM Post #3,031 of 4,580

If you really object to ill defined bass the K7xx may not be best for you.  I wouldn't call the Kxx  wolly or muffled with a strong amp, (I use an Extreme yah I know) but there is a reasonable chance that you'll need a work around.  I also found the bass gets considerably more defined, after burning them in, ?50hrs maybe.

Oct 25, 2015 at 2:41 PM Post #3,032 of 4,580
If you really object to ill defined bass the K7xx may not be best for you.  I wouldn't call the Kxx  wolly or muffled with a strong amp, (I use an Extreme yah I know) but there is a reasonable chance that you'll need a work around.  I also found the bass gets considerably more defined, after burning them in, ?50hrs maybe.

I'd suggest a couple of hundred hours. FWIW, the K7XX is not as sensitive to burnin as K701/2, which need about twice that time to come into their own. It seems like you're citing some of the language I used in my previous post, which went into a bit of detail regrading amplifier matching, disagreeing while agreeing about the same thing. Okey-dokey.

Oct 25, 2015 at 2:49 PM Post #3,033 of 4,580
Got them through a Flash Deal at Newegg. They lasted about 3 hours before sellout. Long since gone. I should have bought multiples and resold them. They really are a beautiful piece of gear.

Oct 25, 2015 at 6:35 PM Post #3,035 of 4,580
Oct 25, 2015 at 11:58 PM Post #3,036 of 4,580
To clarify once more, it was about using the price as a determinate for classification of performance, and not the resulting sound. Look around; that's how it works in Head-Fi. Designations like mid-fi are solely based on price, where as in the world of high-performance audio the price is the last consideration as a descriptor of performance. For example, to those of us whose systems don't fit on desks, mid-fi is exemplified by the mass-market receivers sold at Best Buy. A LDIII is considered High-End, even though it only costs ~$300. Why, because its sound lies on another level compared to mid-fi equipment. Again, none of this is price-driven. The classifications of components are solely determined by their sound quality. BTW, High-End audio is not necessarily congruent with expensive audio, though it often is. It's the sound quality that determines the classification.

As this this the fourth time I had to explain this, please, pretty please, leave me out of your forthcoming comments. Seriously, enough is enough.

FWIW, the original post was not OT, as you assert, as it discussed amplifiers suitable for the K7XX. It's there for anyone to read. However, you just took the thread OT again. Please stop speaking for me.
I agree. Wouldn't it be nice if folks actually read the thread, understood the text, and were familiar with the culture of the forum before deciding to troll and attack someone? I think so.
I was accused of not caring about music. Hence, the pics. I also thought that some folks would get a kick out of seeing them. It had nothing to do with an asserted opinion. All this is on record and easy to digest, if one takes the time to actually read the discussion.
I have one of those, too. A 2TB filled with HD, DSD, and FLAC files. Would you like to see it? lol

For someone who is complaining about the focus on price brackets, all your headphones seem to be suspiciously "cheap". Wouldn't you agree that an Beyer T90, HD800, HE1000, or LCD-4 would help you enjoy that massive music collection, irrespective of it's price? Genuine curiosity here. I'm curious if you think the K7XX scales better than the aforementioned headphones; culture of the forum is to focus on sound, after all.

Also, just to be on topic, I'm not sure if anyone mentioned this, but the new DACport Slim is definitely a fine combo with the K7XX, and stays as cheap for a DAC/amp as can really get. I spent months running around like a chicked trying to find a good DAC/amp for the K7XX. IMO, the Slim is basically as good as it will get for this pairing as a portable option.

Oct 26, 2015 at 12:27 AM Post #3,037 of 4,580
If anyone missed the last drop and doesn't want to wait for the next, pm me. I'm looking to sell mine along with a shorter mobile headset cable. I have all original packaging, accessories and receipt.

Oct 26, 2015 at 12:31 AM Post #3,038 of 4,580
I'd be willing to sell my K7XX + DACport Slim combo for $250 too - only because I have a Beyer T90 and am looking to get an Aune X1S. PM me if interested! Low serial number 000363 is always a plus 
biggrin.gif

Oct 26, 2015 at 12:33 AM Post #3,039 of 4,580
Hey, if it's against the rules to post this info in the thread, please advise.

I wouldn't want to tick anyone off and/or get banned.

The way I see it, those of us moving the items for cost are providing a service since sellers on eBay have been price gouging between drops.

Oct 27, 2015 at 7:13 AM Post #3,040 of 4,580
So I bought mine on 2nd December last year and today they have failed. The right can won't play audio unless I hold the hinge at an angle, so a dodgy internal cable in the headband.

So how does support work as I'm in the UK? AKG UK do not recognise the K7XX as a valid product they deal with, so I guess MassDrop will have to replace them.... I sure hope they will cover shipping costs, as I'm not paying out of my pocket for a faulty product.

I read about AKG phones failing since they started making them outside of Austria, but never had an issue myself until now :/

I've used the MD support contact, just waiting for their reply...

Oct 27, 2015 at 8:04 AM Post #3,041 of 4,580
  So I bought mine on 2nd December last year and today they have failed. The right can won't play audio unless I hold the hinge at an angle, so a dodgy internal cable in the headband.

So how does support work as I'm in the UK? AKG UK do not recognise the K7XX as a valid product they deal with, so I guess MassDrop will have to replace them.... I sure hope they will cover shipping costs, as I'm not paying out of my pocket for a faulty product.

I read about AKG phones failing since they started making them outside of Austria, but never had an issue myself until now :/

I've used the MD support contact, just waiting for their reply...

Let us know how it goes. I am particularly interested as I am waiting for the next akg k7xx massdrop. If the quality is bad, i will just go with the Q701 and plop on the k712 pads. Apparantly that is what the massdrop k7xx is. Someone correct me if im wrong :D.

Which would provide a better gaming experience? I heavily lean towards positional ques/accuracy/imaging while still wanting some of the fun factor. Im not a bass head tho. 

Oct 27, 2015 at 9:05 AM Post #3,042 of 4,580
  Let us know how it goes. I am particularly interested as I am waiting for the next akg k7xx massdrop. If the quality is bad, i will just go with the Q701 and plop on the k712 pads. Apparantly that is what the massdrop k7xx is. Someone correct me if im wrong :D.

Which would provide a better gaming experience? I heavily lean towards positional ques/accuracy/imaging while still wanting some of the fun factor. Im not a bass head tho. 

I had the Q701 for a year and tried the K712 pads on them - I wasn't a fan of that combo as the Q701 pads are directional and channel the sound a specific way giving them a nice side stage. The K712 pads on them centralised the soundstage and it all felt too close together. The K7XX is the best of both worlds by comparison, super wide, really detailed and the pads are great.

The Q701 and K7XX work really well with bass port modding, the Q701 has more bass before and after modding than the K7XX. The foam inserts on both sides of each can are different too between Q701 and K7XX.

Personally I really like the K7XX sound, but if a year is what I can expect from them in terms of life, then I'll probably go back to Sennheiser once these have been RMAd.

Oct 27, 2015 at 1:58 PM Post #3,044 of 4,580

A pair of K712 pads alone are about $100, so good luck with that.

Oct 27, 2015 at 2:22 PM Post #3,045 of 4,580
For someone who is complaining about the focus on price brackets, all your headphones seem to be suspiciously "cheap". Wouldn't you agree that an Beyer T90, HD800, HE1000, or LCD-4 would help you enjoy that massive music collection, irrespective of it's price? Genuine curiosity here. I'm curious if you think the K7XX scales better than the aforementioned headphones; culture of the forum is to focus on sound, after all.

Having auditioned T90, LCD-2, and HD800, I'm very happy with what I have. Again, the price is not necessarily indicative of sound quality. As such, classifying headphones based on their price borders on pure ignorance. That's been the point all along. FWIW, K701 sits among some of the cans cited in Stereophile's Class-A. Why? Because, it's not about the price. It's how they sound. How can this be any more clear? If you have any other questions for me, PM.

The K7XX doesn't scale as well as, say, K702. It's a notch below in resolution and that's reflected in the scope of the performance.

Edit: grammar

Users who are viewing this thread

Back