The AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Thread
Aug 13, 2015 at 3:01 PM Post #2,821 of 4,580
I'm using a ~2mm thick wool-based fabric with good results, two rings per side, otherwise the warmth wins.

So I used some felt that I bought from Michael's for $1.49, and it is actually working surprisingly well with 2 rings per side.  The only downside is now my ears touch the felt, which presses them in and makes them a little sore after a while :/.  It will do for now, but I think I'll go ahead and buy an amp soon.

Aug 13, 2015 at 6:47 PM Post #2,823 of 4,580
I am having shivers down on my spine with the PC>GO720>Shelbrook Audio Mini Head Signature Amp. I use pure solid silver AudioMinor cable for K7XX and cryoed hybrid AudioMinor cable between GO and amp. I have upgraded the opamps of the amp with BB634P's.

K7Xx is very picky for amp/sources like its cousin; K701.

The above minimalistic and small footprint setup became the main rig at my office.

Aug 13, 2015 at 11:38 PM Post #2,826 of 4,580
So I used some felt that I bought from Michael's for $1.49, and it is actually working surprisingly well with 2 rings per side.  The only downside is now my ears touch the felt, which presses them in and makes them a little sore after a while :/.  It will do for now, but I think I'll go ahead and buy an amp soon.

Yeah, I'd try mods before splurging on a colored amp, glad to know it worked for you. My ears almost touch the rings, so no soreness.

Aug 14, 2015 at 12:43 AM Post #2,827 of 4,580
Yeah, I'd try mods before splurging on a colored amp, glad to know it worked for you. My ears almost touch the rings, so no soreness.

What makes you think that you need a colored amp? If anything, the K7XX responds well to a relatively neutral sounding piece, albeit not lacking power and finesse. Personally, I prefer a Meier Concerto as a synergistic pairing with the cans.

Aug 14, 2015 at 1:59 AM Post #2,828 of 4,580
Hmmmmm... Curious about an "upgrade" cable for these now, based on the last poster. Can a cable really make a significant difference?

You can't get a marginal difference. Difference is very small, but even a 3% upgrade for the transparency and refinement is a warm welcome for some... This silver cable provided that for me. I have A-B'ed it with stock cable many times. Bit I did not do blind tests yet. So I will go ahead and get a help from a friend to make blind tests (A-B). I do not want placebo to effect my brain. I will be preparing a short review for this cable...

Aug 14, 2015 at 9:54 AM Post #2,830 of 4,580
What makes you think that you need a colored amp? If anything, the K7XX responds well to a relatively neutral sounding piece, albeit not lacking power and finesse. Personally, I prefer a Meier Concerto as a synergistic pairing with the cans.

If an amp is somehow reducing the treble harshness inherent to a track or a headphone...

Aug 14, 2015 at 12:45 PM Post #2,831 of 4,580

Agree with this. Jans amps are beautifully neutral and im loving this combo. Add in some lossless files over sonos and youve got a better party than i would have expected from a $199 headphone. SO much happier with these than I was with the Quincys

Aug 15, 2015 at 2:52 PM Post #2,832 of 4,580
The K7XX is not picky at all, and there's no such thing as a picky headphone. I'd say it all comes down to synergy and what sound the listener really wants. 

I use my K7XX on my ROC (single ended), V200, and Phonitor Mini (on loan). It sounds the best on the Phonitor Mini as the amp is dead neutral, and directly compliments the K7XX's warm/lush tone. The V200 also sounds really good with them, but sometimes adds too much warmth. The ROC sound great in single ended even though it's half the power of the balanced output.

Aug 15, 2015 at 3:55 PM Post #2,833 of 4,580
The K7XX is not picky at all, and there's no such thing as a picky headphone. I'd say it all comes down to synergy and what sound the listener really wants. 

I use my K7XX on my ROC (single ended), V200, and Phonitor Mini (on loan). It sounds the best on the Phonitor Mini as the amp is dead neutral, and directly compliments the K7XX's warm/lush tone. The V200 also sounds really good with them, but sometimes adds too much warmth. The ROC sound great in single ended even though it's half the power of the balanced output.

Words may be different but we are talking about the same thing...

Aug 17, 2015 at 5:35 PM Post #2,835 of 4,580
  heard the k7xx is a very picky headphone. I'm using the asus xonar dgx and just listening to youtube and similar also gaming. I'm not an "audiophile". Do you think I will still like it?

You will probably like them.  They are only as picky as the person wearing them.  I you are well versed in audio lingo strengths and minuses then you might have something negative to say.  I am using them now in stead of my Senn 700s and they sound good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back