The AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Thread
Aug 1, 2015 at 2:46 PM Post #2,776 of 4,580
I love the K7XX for movies and TV. But I cheat and use my E12 to give it a bit of a bass boost
biggrin.gif

Cheater!
biggrin.gif

Aug 1, 2015 at 2:49 PM Post #2,777 of 4,580

I am interested to know how the K7XX compare to the Q701.  I have seen them for the same price as the K7XX, and often considered getting them...never pulled the trigger, though.

I will let you know once I have some playtime with the K7XX. I have already returned the Q701 so I won't be able to do any AB comparison, but the Q701 is still fresh on my mind.

Aug 1, 2015 at 2:54 PM Post #2,778 of 4,580
I am interested to know how the K7XX compare to the Q701.  I have seen them for the same price as the K7XX, and often considered getting them...never pulled the trigger, though.

Tonally, the Qs and the XXs don't sound very much alike. The Qs are brighter, more vivid, more expansive, more detailed, where as the XX is more laid back, has more bass that desperately needs to be controlled, and, overall, sounds much more forgiving.

Aug 1, 2015 at 8:52 PM Post #2,781 of 4,580
Looks like the only open or semi open AKG with serious bass is the K7XX (and K712 / Annies, though they have more high end).

FWIW, K702 with the bass mod have the most serious , as you say, low-end out of all the cans I own. I would not suggest the mod for the K7XX.

Aug 1, 2015 at 9:43 PM Post #2,783 of 4,580

I have owned both Q701 and K7XX both port modded and un-modded and i can tell you the K7XX is a more laid back and enjoyable headphone out of the box than both Q701 formats. The Q701 is a bit brighter and the soundstage is a little tighter but that is largely down to the earpads and the material of the foam disc inserts between driver cage and earpad. I had the Annie pads on the Q701 and didn't like the colour of sound they produced on the Q701 but the K7XX felt just right.

The reason I modded the K7XX in the end was because in some musical instances I felt like I was missing some crucial subbass that the modded Q701 had plenty of (and without sacrificing mid or high range clarity) so decided to go ahead and do it to the K7XX.

Good thing I did, same story, subbass restored and no negative affect on mids or highs.

I'm driving mine with a NAD D7050 which has the typical laid back NAD sound, smooth and warm, perfectly suited to Sennheiser and AKG headphones and with the K7XX being no exception.

My experience is that both modded and un-modded, the K7XX is truly excellent. I've had them since launch and have not even looked at potential upgrades. Which is saying something as I'm a gadget freak that likes new toys.

Childish Gambino - Sunrise is a great track to feel the bass in your head, it's so incredibly detailed and everything feels so well put together. I appreciate not everyone has the same source equipment, ears, player and so on so things will  sound different on each system for each person.

Aug 2, 2015 at 9:47 AM Post #2,785 of 4,580

I have owned both Q701 and K7XX both port modded and un-modded and i can tell you the K7XX is a more laid back and enjoyable headphone out of the box than both Q701 formats. The Q701 is a bit brighter and the soundstage is a little tighter but that is largely down to the earpads and the material of the foam disc inserts between driver cage and earpad. I had the Annie pads on the Q701 and didn't like the colour of sound they produced on the Q701 but the K7XX felt just right.

The reason I modded the K7XX in the end was because in some musical instances I felt like I was missing some crucial subbass that the modded Q701 had plenty of (and without sacrificing mid or high range clarity) so decided to go ahead and do it to the K7XX.

Good thing I did, same story, subbass restored and no negative affect on mids or highs.

I'm driving mine with a NAD D7050 which has the typical laid back NAD sound, smooth and warm, perfectly suited to Sennheiser and AKG headphones and with the K7XX being no exception.

My experience is that both modded and un-modded, the K7XX is truly excellent. I've had them since launch and have not even looked at potential upgrades. Which is saying something as I'm a gadget freak that likes new toys.

Childish Gambino - Sunrise is a great track to feel the bass in your head, it's so incredibly detailed and everything feels so well put together. I appreciate not everyone has the same source equipment, ears, player and so on so things will  sound different on each system for each person.

I listened to the K7XX for a few hours I concur with most but not all of your findings. I K7XX is laid back headphone. Highs are smooth and enjoyable to listen to. I do find the soundstage narrower than that of the Q701 though.

I was surprised that the bass on stock K7XX was lighter that the modded Q701. On some tracks I had to bump the bass dial 4-5 notch higher to get the same level/amount of bass as a MODDED Q701. I was thinking about doing the bass mod but I am concerned it would be too much and might bleed over to the mids. Since you find that not to be the case I might do the bass mod.

While I like the earpads on the K7XX much better I wish they were angled like Q701 are. Maybe the earpads and the way they are positioned, in addition to the foam disc inserts, is what makes the soundstage narrower and the treble smoother on the K7XX?

Aug 2, 2015 at 11:00 AM Post #2,787 of 4,580
Just received my pair and Im VERY happy that these are more to my liking than the Quincys. The bass is definitely fuller, and while they cant compete with my better headphones in terms of quality or quantity, the low end is enjoyable. Very comfy, respond very well to the Meier watts, and overall Id say these are very nice headphones for two bills.

Aug 2, 2015 at 6:45 PM Post #2,788 of 4,580
Just received my pair and Im VERY happy that these are more to my liking than the Quincys. The bass is definitely fuller, and while they cant compete with my better headphones in terms of quality or quantity, the low end is enjoyable. Very comfy, respond very well to the Meier watts, and overall Id say these are very nice headphones for two bills.

The K7XX responds very well to Meier amps. Give them a bit of time to break in and bass will be more delineated. Good luck.

Aug 3, 2015 at 3:43 AM Post #2,789 of 4,580
Thanks...if these didnt get better at all Id still be very happy. Im just so happy theres an AKG i like enough to keep around...too legendary a company to not have them representing in my collection.

Ill echo what a couple others have said too...these are great movie headphones. Super comfy and light, nice soundstage, decent imaging, clear vocals...these will share time with my T1s for movies...no doubt.

Aug 3, 2015 at 1:33 PM Post #2,790 of 4,580
Hello, AKG K7xx owner tuning in here! I'm a part of the first drop and have had them for over half a year 
cool.gif
 finally did the bass-port mod and I love them now 
k701smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back