The AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Thread
Jul 17, 2015 at 7:42 PM Post #2,671 of 4,580

Off course--and multichannel is much better than stereo.  However within the context of headphones, there are significant differences in soundstages produced.

If one is anal retentive when it comes to fractions of an inch...sure.

Jul 17, 2015 at 7:49 PM Post #2,672 of 4,580

Off course--and multichannel is much better than stereo.  However within the context of headphones, there are significant differences in soundstages produced.

If one is anal retentive when it comes to fractions of an inch...sure.

One does not have to be personal or insulting.  Let's just agree to disagree.

Jul 17, 2015 at 8:21 PM Post #2,673 of 4,580
  Yes, I know that, LOL! I was talking about big soundstage in headphone world. I have a properly calibrated dedicated HT room, with Revel F32 and C32 driving the front and center stage and JL Audio F112 providing the low end, driven by NAD M25 amp and Onkyo processor. There is no way any headphone will give that almost there experience like this setup. Unfortunately, I can't crank the volume past 9 PM any longer.

Yes, you are right, the soundstage difference between the X2, Q701 and DT-880 is very small. That is why I said Huge/Epic so that if one recommends a headphone with truly big soundstage, it has to be really big departure from these cans. Given my budget, I doubt I will find anything. Even if I get big soundstage, I will probably be at the expense of something else. :frowning2:

One does not have to be personal or insulting.  Let's just agree to disagree.

It ... the term, is not something to take as personally nor intended to be insulting. It is a term used in psychology for a period in our development , or more commonly as one fixated or obsessed with something. It was also intended to be "tongue in cheek".. humor...

Jul 17, 2015 at 8:24 PM Post #2,674 of 4,580
IME, they don't have great bass; they have good bass. Better bass (quality) with an amplifier that can control their upper/mid-bass hump. A Meier Concerto does that extremely well on the ss side of things, and a Feliks Elise does the same with tubes.

A bass modded K702, OTOH, does have great bass.

beerchug.gif

thanks for the help man, if you have to choose between dt880, x2 or the AKG 7xx, just for gaming, movies and this styles of music ( orquestra, big band jazz, ambient, Trip hop, clasical, classic rock) being the soundstage/ details/ imaging the primary quality of the HP.

Sorry to be annoying but i live in Venezuela and i dont have how to test them before get them. thanks in advance.

Jul 17, 2015 at 8:27 PM Post #2,676 of 4,580
I picked these up on the first drop and paired with my O2/ODAC they sound fantastic.  I've left my HD 598's at work permanently and love coming home to these.  I want to try different types of headphones, because when I only had the 598's I was sure that was the sound profile a liked, and now I am in love with the K7XX.  Need to try more.

Jul 18, 2015 at 1:39 AM Post #2,678 of 4,580
How would you guys compare the 7xx to q701 and 598?

Sold the Q701 but still have three other two.

7XX > HD598 > Q701

There are some genres the HD598 takes the lead but overall the 7XX is the best headphone of the three.

Never got warm with the Q701 - something made me always grab other headphones rather than the Q, something was "off" for me with these.

Cheers,
K

Jul 18, 2015 at 1:57 AM Post #2,679 of 4,580
Sold the Q701 but still have three other two.

7XX > HD598 > Q701

There are some genres the HD598 takes the lead but overall the 7XX is the best headphone of the three.

Never got warm with the Q701 - something made me always grab other headphones rather than the Q, something was "off" for me with these.

Cheers,
K

I appreciate your input, would you say that there is a considerable difference between the 7xx and the 598?

Jul 18, 2015 at 1:58 AM Post #2,680 of 4,580

K7XX is the best of the three IMO, bass it best of the three, highs can be a little bright depending on amp.

Had the HD-598 for a few years and gave it away a month ago to an old GF, at the current price its a really good headphone, the bass may be lacking for some genres of music so take into consideration the type of music you like.

Tried the Q701 twice before, last time a year and a half ago, never cared for it much, the sound was a little on the thin side and the bass was a little lacking for me.

Jul 18, 2015 at 2:02 AM Post #2,681 of 4,580
K7XX is the best of the three IMO, bass it best of the three, highs can be a little bright depending on amp.

Had the HD-598 for a few years and gave it away a month ago to an old GF, at the current price its a really good headphone, the bass may be lacking for some genres of music so take into consideration the type of music you like.

Tried the Q701 twice before, last time a year and a half ago, never cared for it much, the sound was a little on the thin side and the bass was a little lacking for me.

As usual, I totally agree with David here. I still like the HD598 but it's probably more sentimental :)

The 7XX is certainly the better overall headphone. With a nice evolving sound and a nice low end. The HD598 can be amazing with guitars and vocal songs though.

Cheers,
K

Jul 18, 2015 at 2:18 AM Post #2,682 of 4,580

I rate the K 7XX the superior headphone is reproducing what is fed into it.  That said, individual sound signature preferences are likely to pick the "winner" for each individual.  If you like a larger sound stage, the Q701 gives you that.  If you like the veiled velvet Senn sound, only the HD 598 gives you that.

Jul 18, 2015 at 5:21 AM Post #2,683 of 4,580
Where do you find replacement earpads for the K7XX for future repairs? I emailed AKG and they had absolutely no idea what I was talking about! They told me to contact JBL. 
blink.gif

I imagine they are quite pricey if you can find them.

Jul 18, 2015 at 8:01 AM Post #2,685 of 4,580
The above few posts comparing the K7XX vs HD598 vs Q701 really shows how subjective sound is. I don't have any experience with the K7XX but the Q701 is by far, I stress the word by far, better can after the bass mod. The Q701 has a great soundstage, very good bass that is clean ( never crosses and muddies up the mids), and vocals do really have presence. The HD598 has that warm sound and weaker bass. I just get that in your head feeling with it. I am reminded constantly that I am wearing a headphone. I bought these because of the supposedly wide soundstage. but no, they don't have a wide soundstage that tops the Q701.

The bass mode is a must for anyone who finds the Q701 dry, thin sounding and lacking bass. It is really makes a huge difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back