The AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Thread
Mar 4, 2015 at 1:12 AM Post #1,861 of 4,580
  Ah I see. I've gathered there is likely some sonic difference, but it is probably very subtle. I personally already have the K712, I've had it for almost a year now, it's becoming my favorite headphone again pushing the HD 650 to second place. 

That's good to hear, I was worried about the build quality after recently auditioning a chinese made K702 which felt so cheap compared to the Austrian made pairs.

Could you go into any detail about why you felt the Chinese K702 was of lesser quality?  It's probably the next headphone I'm looking to get, to replace which ever one of these I sell.

Mar 4, 2015 at 1:25 AM Post #1,862 of 4,580
The K702 will still sound more similar to the latter than different. I see no reason in having the K712/K7XX and the K702. If you want the slight difference in sound, just buy the angled K702 pads.

Mar 4, 2015 at 1:32 AM Post #1,863 of 4,580

Could you go into any detail about why you felt the Chinese K702 was of lesser quality?  It's probably the next headphone I'm looking to get, to replace which ever one of these I sell.

The plastic felt much cheaper and is thinner than on the older K702. The leather headband while more comfortable(no bumps) felt cheaper as well. The fit was a bit different, not quite as snug and solid in the headband construction. It's mainly a difference in the quality of materials it's made out of. This may improve over time as it did with the K240 Studio/MKII(had cracking earcup issues there for a while on the earlier chinese pairs), it could just be transition production issues. The chinese K702 I tried was one of the earlier ones. Didn't really notice a sonic difference though and it does have the comfort advantage.

Mar 4, 2015 at 1:33 AM Post #1,864 of 4,580
The K702 will still sound more similar to the latter than different. I see no reason in having the K712/K7XX and the K702. If you want the slight difference in sound, just buy the angled K702 pads.

I need to find a deal on them then.  If they are priced anything like the memory foams on the K712/K7XX ($100+ a pair, after shipping and tax) I might as well just buy a pair of K702.

I used to think the K712 was almost too bassy and sacrificed some of the airy sound stage that I loved in my K701.  While the K712/K7XX sound has grown on me over time I think I'd still like to A/B the two (K702 and...) for awhile.

Mar 4, 2015 at 1:37 AM Post #1,865 of 4,580
What I'm saying is if you buy the angled K702 pads, you will have both the K7XX and K702 at the price of one headphone, just by switching the pads. The K702 and K7XX should be essentially the same headphone, inside.

Mar 4, 2015 at 2:06 AM Post #1,866 of 4,580
What I'm saying is if you buy the angled K702 pads, you will have both the K7XX and K702 at the price of one headphone, just by switching the pads. The K702 and K7XX should be essentially the same headphone, inside.

Yeah, thanks.  I get that there have been pages and pages of posts written about what sort of changes can be made by simply changing the pads.  What I'm getting at is I'm not even sure where to find OEM K702 ear pads and if they are expensive, like those for the K712/K7XX, I might as well just get the whole headphone.

Mar 4, 2015 at 2:08 AM Post #1,867 of 4,580
I've seen two very favourable reviews on the if idsd micro. Anyone have any experience with this amp and the K series?

Mar 4, 2015 at 2:56 AM Post #1,868 of 4,580
I just put up my K7XX for sale I ended up getting a pretty good deal on an hd 650 and after comparing the two I found that even though the dynamics were better in the K7XX I found that the sound stage was diffusing the mids a bit well compared to the hd 650 anyway, and I found the 650 more detailed. I am running both from my fiio x3 however given the price points I would say that the K7XX is a steal, It took me a while to decide which one I wanted to keep and the price difference is about 140 dollars.

Mar 4, 2015 at 3:23 PM Post #1,870 of 4,580
  Anyone know the part number for the headband bracket?

I feel gutted as I was holding the cup while cleaning the headphone. Totally forgot it was plastic and it kind of bent.

Here's the parts list for the K702 65th Annies, which may(?) be the same parts.

http://media.bestquestions.com/bestquestions/media/db/8428/k702_65thanniversary.pdf

Mar 4, 2015 at 6:56 PM Post #1,872 of 4,580

Just removed the pads, I def did notice them open a noticeable bit, thanks for the tip with the thumb tacks, tried other things that didn't work too well, tacks worked great.

Other than soundstage, any noticeable difference in the sound signature after removing the pad behind the grill?

Not enough to be worth mentioning.

Mar 4, 2015 at 9:38 PM Post #1,873 of 4,580
People here are saying the k7xx need an an amp because of sound quality, not necessarily volume (though volume may be an issue). The sound quality of the k7xx simply cannot be heard without a suitably powerful amp. Just a reality of the k7xx.

They sound perfectly fine out of my X5. Do they sound better with my desktop rig? Sure. But if I didn't have that, I would not throw the K7XX away because I could not "enjoy" them with only the X5. Remember folks, everything is relative. Ignorance can be BLISS... and "Comparison is the death of joy" is very, very true.

Telling someone that they will not like a set of headphones with out xx, is arrogant. It is also counterproductive in the case of someone that doesn't want, or can't afford whatever the XX is.

Mar 4, 2015 at 9:51 PM Post #1,874 of 4,580
They sound perfectly fine out of my X5. Do they sound better with my desktop rig? Sure. But if I didn't have that, I would not throw the K7XX away because I could not "enjoy" them with only the X5. Remember folks, everything is relative. Ignorance can be BLISS... and "Comparison is the death of joy" is very, very true.

Telling someone that they will not like a set of headphones with out xx, is arrogant. It is also counterproductive in the case of someone that doesn't want, or can't afford whatever the XX is.

Ah, there is a world of difference between x5 (which is pretty good) and an onboard sound card on a pc, which was what was originally suggested would work ok with the k7xx.

Counterproductive is buying a pair of awesome headphones like the k7xx and never properly amping them. You might like what you hear, but you are certainly not hearing what they offer.

Mar 4, 2015 at 10:05 PM Post #1,875 of 4,580
Ah, there is a world of difference between x5 (which is pretty good) and an onboard sound card on a pc, which was what was originally suggested would work ok with the k7xx.

Counterproductive is buying a pair of awesome headphones like the k7xx and never properly amping them. You might like what you hear, but you are certainly not hearing what they offer.

If you are happy with the sound, it is far from being counterproductive. That is what we are all in this for. If you are unhappy you do something different. Telling someone that they will never be happy if they don't do what "we" believe is required... is arrogant.... an likely very inaccurate for most non-equipment consumed ..."normal" people.

I could introduce you to fifty acquaintances of mine that are more than happy with music from their iPhone and apple ear buds. When I talk to them about what I do for music, they simply tell me that I am insane!
When someone asks a question that is obviously new to this game, perhaps responses could be more measured and less biased. Should we discourage people form getting something that is likely much better than anything that they have heard... by telling them that they have to do something that they likely are not prepared to do? Should they buy something from Monoprice because they are told it sounds good out of their phone, instead?

BTW, I have also plugged my AKH KXX into one of my Sansa Clips. It sounds perfectly fine for walking around the house or web browsing ...just for some non-critical listening background music. Everyone has different requirements.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back