The AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Thread
Nov 28, 2014 at 1:27 PM Post #376 of 4,580
Anyway, my question is: can I just connect the headphones to my receiver or do I need some other stuff to drive these. I see a lot of people talking about amps and stuff, i'm a little confused.

Your receiver has a built-in headphone amp of some sort. Depending on the model, it can range from pretty nice to pretty terrible. It will definitely make sound though, so that's a start. 

Nov 28, 2014 at 2:47 PM Post #377 of 4,580
This will be my first pair of "real" headphones.. (The only other pair I have are QC15's which i like a lot for noise cancelling, though I know the audio isn't that great)
I plan to mainly use this in my home theater setup. I was debating between getting HVL-1 speakers or headphones. Since I can't always use speakers anyway, I decided to get headphones.
Anyway, my question is: can I just connect the headphones to my receiver or do I need some other stuff to drive these. I see a lot of people talking about amps and stuff, I'm a little confused.

In general the headphone output on a receiver would usually have enough power to drive the 62-Ohm KXX headphones.
How well the receiver delivers that power will effect sound quality.
Most receivers use the same amplifiers to drive the speakers and the headphones (It's cheaper to manufacture then having a separate dedicated headphone amplifier built in).
How well the receiver drives headphone might be different from receiver to receiver.
So try to KXX in your receiver and see how good it sounds, then go from there.

Nov 28, 2014 at 4:08 PM Post #378 of 4,580
Alright, thanks. Guess I'll see, it's a Pioneer VSX-1022K I believe. However, I'm not sure what to look for in "good" audio because most of what I've listened to up to now is small Klipsch/Polk speakers & the Bose QC15's. Other than that cheap earbuds and such when I was younger. 

I also picked up the Sennheiser HD598 because they were $100 on amazon... Probably not going to keep both unless I really like both of them.

Nov 28, 2014 at 4:26 PM Post #379 of 4,580
How this headphones will be for metal music? And how for electronic? This is my 2 main geners i listen to.

And the hifimediy sabre usb dac 2 (http://hifimediy.com/usb-dac2) will be enough to drive them?

Nov 28, 2014 at 4:49 PM Post #380 of 4,580
  Alright, thanks. Guess I'll see, it's a Pioneer VSX-1022K I believe. However, I'm not sure what to look for in "good" audio because most of what I've listened to up to now is small Klipsch/Polk speakers & the Bose QC15's. Other than that cheap earbuds and such when I was younger. 

I also picked up the Sennheiser HD598 because they were $100 on amazon... Probably not going to keep both unless I really like both of them.

A quick search yields little tech info about the headphone implementation on your Pioneer. However, I did find THIS which seems promising. A low output impedance is highly desirable in this case and if that poster is correct, your K7XX should perform well out of this receiver. 

Nov 28, 2014 at 6:07 PM Post #381 of 4,580
Can anyone compare these to the Fidelio X2s?

Also, what's the connector port for this? 3.5? 3 pin XLR? 4 pin XLR?
Looking at bestintheuniverse for my first aftermarket cables. Unless of course I get the X2s...still deciding.

Nov 28, 2014 at 6:39 PM Post #382 of 4,580
  Can anyone compare these to the Fidelio X2s?

Also, what's the connector port for this? 3.5? 3 pin XLR? 4 pin XLR?
Looking at bestintheuniverse for my first aftermarket cables. Unless of course I get the X2s...still deciding.

It's a 1/8 inch jack with a screw on 1/4" adapter. The same cable, I believe, used by all the K series except for the original hardwired K701. When you buy an aftermarket cable, you should be able to choose the headphone it is for - just choose AKG. 

Sorry, no experience with the X2. 

Nov 28, 2014 at 8:33 PM Post #383 of 4,580
I tried looking through this thread for comparisons between the k7xx and k712, but got tired of it half way through. Has there been any comments regarding the differences/similarities between the two? I have the k712 and really like it, but wondering if this is any better in any aspects or the same.

TIA

Nov 28, 2014 at 9:46 PM Post #384 of 4,580
IF it takes after the Anniversary it's based on, the 7XX will have a more intimate sound than the 712, with more upfront mids, and less energy up top. Bass is very close to one another. 712 beats it in soundstage. The upper mid spike is less fatiguing as well, than the 712. They are still quite similiar sound otherwise.

Again this is Annie vs 712. I bring this up, because the 7XX is more than likely going to sound like the Annie, so the comparison will most likely be valid. The 712 and Annie have diff drivers and yet they still sound very much alike, with the differences noted above.

Nov 28, 2014 at 10:06 PM Post #385 of 4,580
IF it takes after the Anniversary it's based on, the 7XX will have a more intimate sound than the 712, with more upfront mids, and less energy up top. Bass is very close to one another. 712 beats it in soundstage. The upper mid spike is less fatiguing as well, than the 712. They are still quite similiar sound otherwise.

Again this is Annie vs 712. I bring this up, because the 7XX is more than likely going to sound like the Annie, so the comparison will most likely be valid. The 712 and Annie have diff drivers and yet they still sound very much alike, with the differences noted above.

So, is the Annie warmer than the K712? And would you say the Annie is flatter and more neutral?
Also, you say, "IF it takes after the Annie", is that the general consensus that it will... rather than the 712?

Nov 28, 2014 at 10:18 PM Post #386 of 4,580
I can't verify. I'm going off the Massdrop page that specifically states the 7XX uses the Annie as the base. Considering the Annie uses the same drivers as the Q701/later K702s, I highly doubt anything was changed. If it was using the 712 drivers, it doesn't make sense to say that it's using the Annie as it's base instead of the 712, considering everything other than the drivers is identical on both the Annie/712.

The Annie is very well balanced, but leaning on warmth. The 712 has a bit of upper mid/lower treble recession after that AKG mid bump, which then ramps up in the treble, giving it more energy up top. Because of this, I feel the Annie is slightly more balanced. The treble is smoother on the Annie, making it less fatiguing, but also making it sound less open.

Both the Annie and 712 have an obvious bass boost compared to the standard K70x and Q701.

Nov 29, 2014 at 12:15 AM Post #388 of 4,580
I can't verify. I'm going off the Massdrop page that specifically states the 7XX uses the Annie as the base. Considering the Annie uses the same drivers as the Q701/later K702s, I highly doubt anything was changed. If it was using the 712 drivers, it doesn't make sense to say that it's using the Annie as it's base instead of the 712, considering everything other than the drivers is identical on both the Annie/712.

The Annie is very well balanced, but leaning on warmth. The 712 has a bit of upper mid/lower treble recession after that AKG mid bump, which then ramps up in the treble, giving it more energy up top. Because of this, I feel the Annie is slightly more balanced. The treble is smoother on the Annie, making it less fatiguing, but also making it sound less open.

Both the Annie and 712 have an obvious bass boost compared to the standard K70x and Q701.

will, the dude at massdrop who organized this drop, has confirmed these headphones are "based" off the k702 65th anniversaries. whether there are any additional mods ontop of the cosmetics is unknown.

Nov 29, 2014 at 12:34 AM Post #390 of 4,580
How are bad are these for leakage/isolation really? I know it's too late because I bought them anyway, but they do leak/let in more than the HD 558/598 for example? 

they r both open so they both leak sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back