The AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Thread
Nov 27, 2014 at 2:38 PM Post #346 of 4,580
  So does this mean we can openly mention "massdrop" on HF from now on ?  
biggrin.gif

I would think not.
I'm guessing the OP got special permission from the Head-Fi admin to start the KXX thread.

Nov 27, 2014 at 2:52 PM Post #347 of 4,580
Just FYI guys: Massdrop is now actually a headphone and amp reseller essentially, so you can now talk about and link to their sales. :wink_face:

Found this in the deals thread...

Nov 27, 2014 at 3:07 PM Post #348 of 4,580
I ended up hopping on. 200 buckaroonies is a tough deal to beat. I had K701s years ago and love my K240 Sextetts. So I figured why not. I think I was somewhere in the first few hundred after 2000. When I went to check out I was given the option for the Dec. 15th ship date. I picked it of course. When I go to "My Transactions" on the Massdrop website I also see that I chose the Mid December 2014 date for shipping. The question is: will they really ship on the mid-December if I'm beyond the initial 2k?

no if ur number is above 2k, u will receive it feburary ish.

Nov 27, 2014 at 3:08 PM Post #349 of 4,580
I would think not.
I'm guessing the OP got special permission from the Head-Fi admin to start the KXX thread.

no we can talk abt massdrop now per mods.

Nov 27, 2014 at 4:32 PM Post #350 of 4,580
Well so much for being hyped. Just as I was about to order this morning, the shipping to any addresses besides USA is no longer available.

As it turns out AKG doesn't want to ship internationally anymore. Even to friggin Canada. I am extremely disappointed they would do this mid campaign. Makes me not want to support AKG with this type of move.

Guess I'm back to either sucking up the $599 price tag in Canada for K712s or waiting for price to drop(doubtful).

Nov 27, 2014 at 4:50 PM Post #351 of 4,580
Ask some US guy to act as a Proxy for you

Nov 27, 2014 at 5:23 PM Post #352 of 4,580
Hey guys,
Could anyone who'd willing to act as a proxy for us international buyers in the K7XX Massdrop deal please shoot me a PM?
I'd like to snatch one, eventually and I'd like to know the kind souls who'd be willing to make that possible for us 'US outsiders', now that the deal is no more for us....
Thanks and cheers :]

Nov 27, 2014 at 6:47 PM Post #353 of 4,580
i ordered one from canada before all this international stuff happened. so my order got through and i should be getting mine before christmas.
but i'm curious to know whether they would allow me to change my order right now to more than one? if i could then maybe i can help out someone who lives around toronto and wants one but couldn't get it

Nov 27, 2014 at 7:05 PM Post #354 of 4,580
  I ended up hopping on. 200 buckaroonies is a tough deal to beat. I had K701s years ago and love my K240 Sextetts. So I figured why not. I think I was somewhere in the first few hundred after 2000. When I went to check out I was given the option for the Dec. 15th ship date. I picked it of course. When I go to "My Transactions" on the Massdrop website I also see that I chose the Mid December 2014 date for shipping. The question is: will they really ship on the mid-December if I'm beyond the initial 2k?

Maybe you jumped on earlier than you thought?  You can check your number by posting in the massdrop discussion then hovering over the star next to your name.  Or maybe they do just allow people to choose either date even if they won't get them earlier.

edit:  well I just checked and the option for December wasn't selectable, so either you were earlier than you thought or they simply didn't prevent people from choosing december for a bit after 2000.

Nov 27, 2014 at 7:38 PM Post #357 of 4,580
  Can someone compare them to the Sennheiser HD598 for me plz?  I'm thinking of buying one or the other Thank you

I'm fairly sure most people would take the KXX over the HD598, as long as you have a decent headphone amplifier to drive the 62-Ohm KXX.

Nov 27, 2014 at 8:21 PM Post #358 of 4,580
62 Ohm impedance headphones are not that hard to drive when the headphones have good power sensitivity (105 dB SPL @ 1 mW). In the case of the AKG K7 series the voltage sensitivity is around 117 dB SPL @ 1 Vrms, so they should sound fine with most portable devices, but they will sound better with a headphone amp anyway.

(I use the Sennheiser HD 25-1 II (70 Ohm) with my iPhone all the time and they sound loud enough. The HD 25-1 II have a bit more voltage sensitivity (120 dB SPL @ 1 Vrms), so they sound louder than the AKG K7 series).

EDIT: In fact K7 series headphones voltage sensitivity is 105 dB SPL @ 1 Vrms. Now AKG states sensitivity as acoustic output as a function of input voltage.

Nov 27, 2014 at 11:57 PM Post #359 of 4,580
  62 Ohm impedance headphones are not that hard to drive when the headphones have good power sensitivity (105 dB SPL @ 1 mW). In the case of the AKG K7 series the voltage sensitivity is around 117 dB SPL @ 1 Vrms, so they should sound fine with most portable devices, but they will sound a bit better with a headphone amp anyway.

(I use the Sennheiser HD 25-1 II (70 Ohm) with my iPhone all the time and they sound loud enough. The HD 25-1 II have a bit more voltage sensitivity (120 dB SPL @ 1 Vrms), so they sound louder than the AKG K7 series).

Strange as it may seem, some headphones are harder to drive than there specs would tell you.  This AKG family is an example.

Nov 28, 2014 at 12:16 AM Post #360 of 4,580
The K240s fall into this category. They are known to be harder to drive.

Maybe you jumped on earlier than you thought?  You can check your number by posting in the massdrop discussion then hovering over the star next to your name.  Or maybe they do just allow people to choose either date even if they won't get them earlier.

edit:  well I just checked and the option for December wasn't selectable, so either you were earlier than you thought or they simply didn't prevent people from choosing december for a bit after 2000.

You're right. I am earlier than I thought. Just made it. 1978th. I thought it was higher. Possibly people "dropped" out?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back