The AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Thread
Nov 25, 2014 at 12:32 AM Post #167 of 4,580
lol. honestly tho all the recent posts are just speculation of the new k7xx's sound as I think there are only 5-10 ppl with access to review units. wld love to hear impressions from someone who have gotten a chance to play w em especially if they had the chance to direct compare against other akgs :)

Nov 25, 2014 at 12:35 AM Post #168 of 4,580
Im gonna go with MLE here and say these are probably just all black Annie's at $200 with a massdrop logo, which is precisely what I want them to be. No way in hell from a financial standpoint is AKG going to pay engineers to tweak a headphone for a group buy website that may potentially be better than what some say is their best headphone ever, and then sell it for half price. This is old stock painted black. Which is still completely awesome. Ill take old stock HD 600s and LCD2s in all black at half price too, lol. 

Also this is a quote from the drop page
"In 2012, AKG released the 65th anniversary edition of their K702 to instant acclaim. Built with a bass boost, improved comfort, and matched transducers, the limited edition K702 became a legend in the audiophile community for its sound and build quality. Following the success of the Q701 drop in June, we asked AKG if we could configure our own edition of the K702 65th, and they agreed based on their faith in the Massdrop community. Configured by Massdrop, manufactured by AKG, and made possible by you, the AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Headphones bring you rare sound at an even rarer price. "

Theyre pretty much telling you its an Annie. The rest of the description goes on to say the improvements the Annie made over the K701, but they kind of word it like it's a "new" thing. Whatever works for marketing I suppose, were still getting a killer deal. 

It's funny because on here and other forums where people have auditioned the K7XX they say it's the best AKG they ever heard, but all of them only heard the K701 series without the new earpads. Seems like the Annie is a hidden gem that a lot of people turned down just expecting the same K701 sound. 

Nov 25, 2014 at 12:40 AM Post #169 of 4,580
Yup. All signs point to it being an Annie. Just keep it real guys. The fact they specifically mentioned the Anniversary is quite an indicator. Manufactured by AKG, and tweaked by Massdrop. You think they're tweaking the internals? No. they're tweaking the cosmetics.

If you've known headphones for a long time, you'd know that companies are always re-skinning their aging models and sold as new. It has been this way for ages. A very recent example being the Sennheiser Game One. It is LITERALLY an uglier, re-skin of their PC360. Sold as new. Hell, they didn't even bother changing all that was written for the PC360 on their main website. Literal copy/paste.

Nov 25, 2014 at 12:51 AM Post #170 of 4,580
without the need (I HOPE) of having one of these 7xx, what are the odds that they can be driven close to their ability with just a fiio e11k?

Nov 25, 2014 at 12:55 AM Post #171 of 4,580
If the Annie is any indicator, they'll sound quite good off it, though the 700 drivers really, truly respond well to better gear. I don't usually believe it when people say that for most headphones. The AKGs though, yes. You'll want more to unlock more potential.

Nov 25, 2014 at 12:59 AM Post #172 of 4,580
Thanks for your answer, I have only fiio's x1 and e11k for a source and amp, and started with the k240 headphones. I intend to test this set up with a number of headphones before investing more in dac/amps.

At this price there seems to be little reason not to hop on the hype train

Nov 25, 2014 at 1:12 AM Post #174 of 4,580
Thanks for the review, project86.

Can you comment how much they leak?  I had a K501 which was quite enjoyable, but leaked so much that I could rarely use it at home.

[]s
Walfredo

Nov 25, 2014 at 1:15 AM Post #175 of 4,580

For some reason I "moved up" from #3 to #2.  Maybe the count could have been 937...

Where do you check that at?

In the past they would tell you on your order page.  Now if you post on the product's discussion page and order the product, a star will appear at the top of your post.  If you scroll your mouse over the star (or those of others who posted), you will see your position among those who purchased (ordered) that product.

Nov 25, 2014 at 1:38 AM Post #176 of 4,580

Can you comment how much they leak?  I had a K501 which was quite enjoyable, but leaked so much that I could rarely use it at home.

[]s
Walfredo

It leaks a fairly good amount. I don't use it when the wife and kids are around, as that would be obnoxious both for me and for them.

Nov 25, 2014 at 1:40 AM Post #177 of 4,580
Though I'm tempted to buy the K7ConsonantConsonants, my lower intestine is insisting I wait for another excellent deal on generic T90s, since it doubts the Jubilees will be getting a second drop.

Apparently, my lower intestine and Beyerdynamic have an ongoing gurgle-mail exchange.

Nov 25, 2014 at 1:51 AM Post #178 of 4,580

[]s
Walfredo

It leaks a fairly good amount. I don't use it when the wife and kids are around, as that would be obnoxious both for me and for them.

Yeah, that was the case with my K501.  So, this settles it. :)  Thanks!!!

Nov 25, 2014 at 4:24 AM Post #180 of 4,580
  The Q701 has a little too much bass for my taste
How's the bass quantity on the K7XX ?

Without bass port modding the Q701 they certainly don't have "enough" bass. Post mod the bass is just right. If you found too much bass on the Q701 then perhaps your source equipment is feeding too much low freqs into them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back