The AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Thread
Dec 4, 2014 at 2:58 AM Post #514 of 4,580

No no no, lol. I'm on a budget, so $200 is a bit of a large amount for me... although that may change as I become more of a head-fi'er

$200 was a lot for me, too, when i first got into headphones. i was a graduate student at the time. but my grado sr80 quickly turned into the sr325, which turned into the rs1, akg k1000, etc. etc. etc.

from what i gather, getting these headphones at $200 is quite a "bargain." if you're smart, you'll take these and run and never come back to this place. 

Dec 4, 2014 at 3:34 AM Post #515 of 4,580

from what i gather, getting these headphones at $200 is quite a "bargain." if you're smart, you'll take these and run and never come back to this place. 

Ain't that the truth...

You should listen to this... the alternative is that you'll end up blowing a lot of money *and* have lots of people here urging you to blow even more.  Get the K7xxx's, consider them to be the bargain they truly are, and then and run, run, run...

Dec 4, 2014 at 3:55 AM Post #516 of 4,580
This. The U3 has a terrible internal amp with a high 23ohm output impedance, It's value is as a Dolby Headphone processor that can send the signal to a good dac and amp.

Yes it is the reason why I bought it, to try the Dolby Headphone feature. I'm new to all this.

Looking to get a Magni/Vali - Modi Combo (as its relatively cheap & looks good) and use the U3 to feed the Modi via Optical Input to be able to keep the Dolby Headphone for when gaming.

BTW.
Love your gaming headphone thread, it's awesome!

Dec 4, 2014 at 3:57 AM Post #517 of 4,580

Sound advice. Actually this is a headphone one could live with for a long time indeed.
I'm somewhat sorry that mine won't get the appreciation it would deserve, given its number of competitors for headtime.

Dec 4, 2014 at 7:38 AM Post #519 of 4,580
  Anybody else here super-hesitant about spending $200 for a pair of headphones? I know this if head-fi, and headphones are priority #1 for me too... but $200....

Yeah. If they sell for only $200, there must be something wrong with them.
wink_face.gif

Dec 4, 2014 at 7:38 AM Post #520 of 4,580
  Anybody else here super-hesitant about spending $200 for a pair of headphones? I know this if head-fi, and headphones are priority #1 for me too... but $200....

I was tearing my head over this for a few days until I decided that I had enough and went into Stereo Exchange and demanded a listening session with the HD800's. And the DT7880 pro's. and the Grado sr325i. and the b&w p7's and the Beyer T90's and the HE560's and the HD600's and the 650's and.... you get the point

Well, considering you went and listened to several $300+ headphones, what were your impressions after that experience. Are any of those worth the money from your perspective? Does $200 seem like a fair price or even a bargain now? It's certainly a slippery slope... 

Dec 4, 2014 at 8:21 AM Post #521 of 4,580
  Can someone give some suggestions on the cheapest amp that can power these well? Right now I have  FIIO E10 Olympus, but people seem to be saying it won't give out its full potential.

Got a similar question. My work laptop sound card is crap. I need (preferably the cheapest) a USB DAC/AMP combo that would work for both Grado 325e and 7XX. Any suggestions?

Just FYI: At home I have Cambridge DacMagic -> Little Dot i+. Satisfied with this setup.

Edit: Missed noticing that I would need a DAC as well. Thanks @russdog for pointing this out.

Dec 4, 2014 at 8:29 AM Post #522 of 4,580
  Got a similar question. My work laptop sound card is crap. I need (preferably the cheapest) a USB amp that would work for both Grado 325e and 7XX. Any suggestions?

Just FYI: At home I have Cambridge DacMagic -> Little Dot i+. Satisfied with this setup.

Well, if your laptop sound card is crap (and I'm sure it is), doesn't that mean you need a USB dac/amp combination and not just a USB amp?  

Dec 4, 2014 at 8:47 AM Post #525 of 4,580

I wish I did... but it sounds like you want the cheapest one that's worth getting, and I just have no idea what that might be... not because I'm too good for cheap, just because I'm ill-informed about that...

Absolutely. Its for office use anyways, not like I am gonna do any critical listening. However, they should be capable enough to make those (325e & 7XX) headphones musical, if that makes sense!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back