The Agony Of Choice Denon AH-D5000 or AH-D7000
Apr 5, 2010 at 11:09 AM Post #61 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by midoo1990 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wow,bass shy with headroom amp?switch the crossfeed on and hd650 will change into d5000 bass but it will become very warm and veiled.

didn't like the crosfeed with the HD650 at all, makes them too muddy IMO.
anyway,don't want to change the subject of this thread, but last thing I want to add is I didn't claim that headroom gear is the MOST neutral to begin with... the point of my claim is that coloured sounding headphone probably need a neutral gear as possible in order to sound normal as possible,and that's especially in regard to denon headphones.
the headroom denon combination is the best I heard so far.

Apr 5, 2010 at 11:13 AM Post #62 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by plonter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
didn't like the crosfeed with the HD650 at all, makes them too muddy IMO.
anyway,don't want to change the subject of this thread, but last thing I want to add is I didn't claim that headroom gear is the MOST neutral to begin with... the point of my claim is that coloured sounding headphone probably need a neutral gear as possible in order to sound normal as possible,and that's especially in regard to denon headphones.
the headroom denon combination is the best I heard so far.

Hi Plonter, thanks for your imput within this thread, I have a Heed Canamp and is quite a warm sounding machine, would you say the denons would be a mismatch for such a warm sounding amp?

Apr 5, 2010 at 11:20 AM Post #63 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mannymax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Plonter, thanks for your imput within this thread, I have a Heed Canamp and is quite a warm sounding machine, would you say the denons would be a mismatch for such a warm sounding amp?

I can't say...first of all,the D7000 (from all the reviews) are not "muddy" as the D5000 so that might be less of a problem. also,if you are talking on a SS amp,I wonder how much "warm" it can be anyway...probably warm,but far from being bass heavy,am i right?
IMO,no...it shouldn't be a problem,nor with the D5000 and especially not with the 7000.

some tube amps I heard (ofcourse not all tube amps sound the same) can be too muddy,viel with the denons,but as long as it not TOO bass heavy and have a good dinamics and speed it should be fine.

Apr 5, 2010 at 11:27 AM Post #64 of 71
Quote:

I can't say...first of all,the D7000 (from all the reviews) are not "muddy" as the D5000 so that might be less of a problem. also,if you are talking on a SS amp,I wonder how much "warm" it can be anyway...probably warm,but far from being bass heavy,am i right?
IMO,no...it shouldn't be a problem,nor with the D5000 and especially not with the 7000.

Yes it is an SS amp, However, Others have described it as sort of tube like in its warm sound, I was recommended this amp to synergise with the K702's cold sound, just wondering if this amp will overcook the denons?

Apr 5, 2010 at 11:33 AM Post #65 of 71
Quote:

Yes it is an SS amp, However, Others have described it as sort of tube like in its warm sound, I was recommended this amp to synergise with the K702's cold sound, just wondering if this amp will overcook the denons?

well... is it warm in the midrange?...like tubes? I found most warm tubes and tube amps to colour and warm the midrange more than adding a real bass to the sound. so,is your amp have more bass than other amps?
I don't want to change you mind about the D5000 in case you decided to get them...they are a great headphones IMO,but if you have an already bass heavy (bass wealthy) setup it can sound pretty muddy and too much bass heavy. If you go for the D7000 it might be less of a problem,in the worse case they will sound like a D5000
icon10.gif

but like others stated,you have other options like doing the mod which claims to reduce the bass considerably.

Apr 5, 2010 at 11:46 AM Post #67 of 71
Quote:

well... is it warm in the midrange?...like tubes? I found most warm tubes and tube amps to colour and warm the midrange more than adding a real bass to the sound. so,is your amp have more bass than other amps?
I don't want to change you mind about the D5000 in case you decided to get them...they are a great headphones IMO,but if you have an already bass heavy (bass wealthy) setup it can sound pretty muddy and too much bass heavy. If you go for the D7000 it might be less of a problem,in the worse case they will sound like a D5000
icon10.gif

but like others stated,you have other options like doing the mod which claims to reduce the bass considerably.

well yes, the amp is bass wealthy and warmish in the midrange, do not really want to go down the modding route at this stage, this is going to be my last pair of headphones lol

Apr 5, 2010 at 11:54 AM Post #68 of 71
Quote:

well yes, the amp is bass wealthy and warmish in the midrange, do not really want to go down the modding route at this stage, this is going to be my last pair of headphones lol

so the D7000 will be the right choice between the two. it will the the right choice anyway,no matter the amp if you have the cash. but you do have other options,other headphones I mean... but staying in the thread's title, i think the D7000 will be more appropriate.
Like I said before,if you have the cash,and don't mind investing it for a long term,the D7000 is the better headphone,I don't see a reason why not getting it if you have a dillema between the two. my dillema before i got my D5000 was between them and the D2000,as my cash was a little low at that time.

Apr 5, 2010 at 12:44 PM Post #69 of 71
I had the markl D5000 and the Canamp... I never understood what the Denons was all about so maybe not the best match... Though the markl D5000 was certainly no bass monsters. Just didn´t get into those echo chambers and jazz club presentation mainly.

Apr 23, 2010 at 9:30 PM Post #70 of 71
Having formerly owned, very much enjoyed, then sold the AH-D5000, I am in a position like you to either buy the D5000 for a second go-around, or to get the D7000. Right now, I am leaning toward getting the D7000.

My experience with the D5000 was very positive. With decent solid state amplification (I drove them with the hybrid Bada PH-12 and the all SS AMC XIA integrated) these headphones will provide you with a nicely balanced, very involving and rewarding listen. In fact, I've enjoyed the D2000 and the D5000 more than any other closed headphones I've tried to data; and, with the exception of the AKG K501, more than any other open headphones I've tried to date as well.

If you have not yet tried either the D5000 or the D7000, the D5000 will not disappoint, and will be a nice preparation for the D7000 later on down the road.

May 12, 2010 at 5:42 AM Post #71 of 71
Just to finish this thread, I was fortunate enough to purchase a Markl MD-5000 fitted with Jenna cables from a fellow UK headfier Markymark, do not think there's many Markl modded Denons in the uk, so think I was lucky, have had the phones for approx. one month now and can wholeheartedly say, these phones will be my last home setup headphones, for me, they have it all, from top to bottom and so comfy you don't realise your wearing these headphones, so as you can see i'm one happy man.
bigsmile_face.gif
 My AKG 702's will soon be up for sale...might get some grados for Ipod listening whilst traveling. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back