The Agony Of Choice Denon AH-D5000 or AH-D7000
Apr 4, 2010 at 7:23 AM Post #31 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by Br777 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
d7000 on sale new for $637 at amazon, seller has lifetime ratting of 4.5 out of 5 with 96555 reviews

...oooh, but then theres that glaring 1 star rating at the top of the page... yikes.. anyway... something to consider

Amazon.com: Denon AH-D7000 - Headphones ( ear-cup ) - soft satin piano gloss: Electronics

thanks for the link, unfortunately for me, I live in the uk and it seems if the headphones are $637 in the USA, they are around £630 odd in the uk, that means i'm gonna be paying approx. $968 for the d7000. I could import them, but the you have import taxes and VAT

Apr 4, 2010 at 7:37 AM Post #32 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by socalguy124 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
is rock the only genre you pretty much listen to? what kind of rock do you listen to specifically?

Well my music is mostly rock, but listen to many other genres too, have got a pair of K702's for these genres, however, after wearing these for approx. 10 mins, I develop a headache and have to keep moving them about on my head to make them more bearable, these cans are really uncomfortable for me and do not like there antiseptic sound sig.

Have heard the denons are really comfortable, so comfort is another trait i'm looking for in the new cans, I also own some beyer dt531's and they are really comfy and fun to listen too.

Thanks for all your recommendations so far, was thinking of going grado, but the only thing that has put me off is that some people have said they can be uncomfortable too.

Apr 4, 2010 at 7:40 AM Post #33 of 71
If you have Denon headphones, you will also have the chance of upgrading.
Click: Home

Have fun with headphones!
atsmile.gif

Apr 4, 2010 at 9:36 AM Post #34 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by SillyHoney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IMHO D5000 D7000 have really great resolution, bass (especially low bass) and soundstage (for closed cans)

However the STAX just do better. Much higher resolution. Better attack. Much better soundstage and imaging (of course, it's open). Bass is not as punchy and don't go steep low like Denon but is more controlled. For some songs I miss the Denon bass but for some songs I prefer Stax bass. It depends on music type really.

STAX also outperform Denon in transparency and they do NOT have recessed mid. Both female and male vocal sound more lifelike and fuller. The tones are more accurate. Guitar sound more like guitar and piano sounds more like piano. That's a much controvertible claim I know, no one can tell how the original recordings are supposed to sound but let's put it this way: Denon high is kinda smooth. That makes electric guitar solo (in Blues, Hard/Metal) and piano high notes sound *not quite real* to me. STAX, however, make me wow when I listen to Eric Clapton's Unplugged album and Buddy Guy's Baddest album. Piano solos sound so good and remind me the sound of a real huge piano that I sometimes have a chance to play around with (like a real noob tho
biggrin.gif
) and Blues guitar solos make me wanna cry
wink.gif

Another biggie to note, STAX are MUCH more spacious and airy. I kinda feel the rooms/halls that held the performance. I was floored by low piano notes and Blues guitar reverb. That did not happen when I listened to Denon.

Don't get me wrong, Denon are so good. All aspects that I mentioned Denon do all good except recessed mid that really bug me. STAX are just better. To be honest I never intended to stop that soon (I tried 6 headphones in less than 5 months) but STAX is the keeper for sure. You won't see my FS thread for this baby unless I really need food or I win a lottery to change to Omega II
biggrin.gif

Just my opinion. I don't even have a D5000 with Woo 6 here to do a direct A/B test but I think I still remember how Denon sound. I'm also new to hi-fi music and I'm still learning so take my words with a grain of salt
wink.gif

That was amazing thanks for writing it up. Yeah I mean If I had the money I would go stax no question and I think thats going to be my next headphone related purchase because my system just sings right now and I dont really want to spend the price of the phones for wooden cups cause that just seems a little crazy to me. So yes I will join the stax family pending me saving up enough for a 404 setup. I am glad you are enjoying your phones though I think sometimes we forget to just enjoy our setups because we become so involved in sq as a hobby.

Apr 4, 2010 at 9:37 AM Post #35 of 71
Quote:

IMHO D5000 D7000 have really great resolution, bass (especially low bass) and soundstage (for closed cans)

Quote:

(for closed cans)

is my favorite part
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 4, 2010 at 10:02 AM Post #36 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mannymax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well my music is mostly rock, but listen to many other genres too, have got a pair of K702's for these genres, however, after wearing these for approx. 10 mins, I develop a headache and have to keep moving them about on my head to make them more bearable, these cans are really uncomfortable for me and do not like there antiseptic sound sig.

Have heard the denons are really comfortable, so comfort is another trait i'm looking for in the new cans, I also own some beyer dt531's and they are really comfy and fun to listen too.

Thanks for all your recommendations so far, was thinking of going grado, but the only thing that has put me off is that some people have said they can be uncomfortable too.

the d7000s are definitely good for rock but I don't know if one could say that they should be dedicated rock cans.

you're situation is a toughy since you're prone to those headaches. On one hand, the denons are SUPREMELY COMFORTABLE...their only issue is they can make your ears a little sweaty after a while but IMO this is more of a quibble than anything else. The grados on the other hand could trigger a headache which we all know has a major effect on the enjoyment aspect. If theres any way you can buy both from a place that has a good return policy, that would be the way to go. If this is not possible then you're stuck making an educated guess and unfortunately I'm not too sure which way to steer you. My best guess would be to go for the grados since rock is their specialty.

Apr 4, 2010 at 10:43 AM Post #38 of 71
Look guys all I am saying is that as good as Denons are for me they are the last phones I would use for rock or any rock related music, I loved my D5000 but I had to sell it because the only reason I use closed phones are because I don`t want to destruct my colleges. superb phones, easy to drive, very comfy and beautiful to look at also they sound amazing with almost everything except rock, but all this very subjective...

Apr 4, 2010 at 2:12 PM Post #39 of 71
well, looks like the jury's out with the d5000/d7000 being good for rock, it seems that approx. 50% of members who have posted here say they are good for rock and the other half say they are bad? even more confused now.

Apr 4, 2010 at 3:39 PM Post #41 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nachkebia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyhow I simply can not imagine situation using closed phones over open, unless I must.

Me either.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ezekiel33 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what about LA2000 Lite, LA2000 and LA7000?

A waste of money. Just my opinion.

Apr 4, 2010 at 4:45 PM Post #42 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by subtle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Me either.

Have you heard modded Denons? They are better than stock by a lot, especially for rock. The wood cups improve it even further.

I agree the cable is a waste.

Apr 4, 2010 at 6:08 PM Post #43 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by subtle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Me either.

it depends on what you like I for example have decided not to markl my phones because I really like the bass impact and the sound of the phones as they are.

Apr 4, 2010 at 6:12 PM Post #44 of 71
i wouldnt choose d5000 for rock,they are actually not good for this genres due to the horribly recessed mids.and i agree with Nachkebia,i will choose hd650 over Denons for rock anyday.

Also i reach for my hd650 when listening to trance.95% of my trance collection is vocal trance and the denons just ruines it for me because of the recessed mids and too much bass.
Denons really shines when listening to Ambient,hiphop,electronica,pop and country.otherwise for me,they suck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back