The Agony Of Choice Denon AH-D5000 or AH-D7000
Apr 3, 2010 at 10:51 PM Post #16 of 71
D7000 & D2000 are I think the better options from Denon. D5000 share the same drivers with D2000. If you have limited cash D2000, and if your richer D7000 is the ticket.
smile.gif

Apr 4, 2010 at 4:39 AM Post #18 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by eucariote /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll ask again what people have asked before- do you really need closed headphones? I have D5000, and tho they're my favorite closed headphone, I honestly prefer my open Grado SR225s in most areas, and certainly for rock. And they cost me almost exactly 1/3 the price. And my Grado HF-1 absolutely kill my D5000 in rock, and most other areas except for classical, and those cost 100$ less. Don't get carried away by the hype surrounding these headphones. As good as they are, you can do a lot better for the price. Again, unless you absolutely need closed headphones. And even there they're not so great- I cannot use them in a quiet room with my wife nearby - which was their intended use- because they leak sound so badly.

Absolutely agreed with this, I simply don`t understand why would anyone buy closed phones for rock, hd650 does everything better than any closed can out there, not to mention grados for rock

Apr 4, 2010 at 4:49 AM Post #19 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by Br777 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
d7000 on sale new for $637 at amazon

I assume this is a great buy. But a few said 90% of D7000 = D2000
atsmile.gif

Apr 4, 2010 at 4:53 AM Post #20 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nachkebia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Absolutely agreed with this, I simply don`t understand why would anyone buy closed phones for rock, hd650 does everything better than any closed can out there, not to mention grados for rock

Wait I'm sorry, did I read that wrong? Are you saying HD650s are better than Grados for rock? If so, you have VERY unique taste my good man, and probably shouldn't be making recommendations to others as you're in a very, very small minority.

And don't talk like what you're saying is fact, because the HD650s don't do everything better than any closed can out there (Stax 4070 for starters, LA7000s, DX1000s, K340, and the list goes on, are all better).

Grados I will agree are better than Denons for rock for sure, but they're also painful to wear for long periods of time.

Apr 4, 2010 at 5:04 AM Post #21 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mannymax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
these phones for mostly rock

Simply the answer is Grado SR60. This big bang headphones will rock your ears any type of rock music you want.

I suggest, instead of buying D7000, opt for Grado SR60 + D2000. You will get the best of two worlds!
jecklinsmile.gif

Apr 4, 2010 at 5:06 AM Post #22 of 71
For rock I would rate my phones:

1- Grado RS1i
2- Beyer DT880/600ohm

3 - Denon D5000 (way below 1 and 2)

The Denons are #1 for electronic/pop music though.

Apr 4, 2010 at 5:26 AM Post #23 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by Necrolic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wait I'm sorry, did I read that wrong? Are you saying HD650s are better than Grados for rock? If so, you have VERY unique taste my good man, and probably shouldn't be making recommendations to others as you're in a very, very small minority.

And don't talk like what you're saying is fact, because the HD650s don't do everything better than any closed can out there (Stax 4070 for starters, LA7000s, DX1000s, K340, and the list goes on, are all better).

Grados I will agree are better than Denons for rock for sure, but they're also painful to wear for long periods of time.

No no, I meant grados are superb for rock but hd650 is much better than denons, I own dx-1000 and I can honestly say hd650 does everything better than dx-1000 or denon 5000 I had, as far as rock is concerned. for pop, hip-hop and electronics sure, closed phones are superb but even for trance and ambient I prefer hd650.

Anyhow I simply can not imagine situation using closed phones over open, unless I must.

Apr 4, 2010 at 5:27 AM Post #24 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by dongringo /img/forum/go_quote.gif

1- Grado RS1i
2- Beyer DT880/600ohm

Again I would agree with this. D5000s are simply too bassy and recessed in the mids to be good with rock. The D7000s largely resolve this though and even in stock form surpassed the DT880s IMO.

Grado RS1i and HF2 are almost undebateably the kings of rock though.

Apr 4, 2010 at 5:28 AM Post #25 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by dongringo /img/forum/go_quote.gif

1- Grado RS1i
2- Beyer DT880/600ohm

Same for me but instead of rs1i I have 325i and instead of dt880 I got hd650
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 4, 2010 at 5:35 AM Post #26 of 71
For me the D5000 D7000 are good for some kind of rock, say Nu-metal or other type of modern metal/hard rock. They do okay with old stuff but not so good. I thought they do great for old stuff like Blues, Rock n' Rolls etc... until I heard the Stax. My Stax clearly outperforms D5000 + WA6 when it comes to old stuff (I don't want to compare them to D7000 since I didn't have an adequate amp for D7000) and a lot more other genres except R&B, Hip Hop, Rap etc...

I really really want to try Grados, not have a chance yet
biggrin.gif

Apr 4, 2010 at 5:51 AM Post #27 of 71
Sillyhoney you are really making me curious as to how much further sq can really go because I am totally blown away by my rig I really need to leave these forums so I can just enjoy my setup in peace.

Apr 4, 2010 at 6:38 AM Post #29 of 71
I love the Denon AH7000 ..... get the ear pad mod and balance it, will greatly improves the sound stage with a balance amp.

I use it with the D4 amp for portable and Phoenix for balance
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 4, 2010 at 6:59 AM Post #30 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by parskey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sillyhoney you are really making me curious as to how much further sq can really go because I am totally blown away by my rig I really need to leave these forums so I can just enjoy my setup in peace.

IMHO D5000 D7000 have really great resolution, bass (especially low bass) and soundstage (for closed cans)

However the STAX just do better. Much higher resolution. Better attack. Much better soundstage and imaging (of course, it's open). Bass is not as punchy and don't go steep low like Denon but is more controlled. For some songs I miss the Denon bass but for some songs I prefer Stax bass. It depends on music type really.

STAX also outperform Denon in transparency and they do NOT have recessed mid. Both female and male vocal sound more lifelike and fuller. The tones are more accurate. Guitar sound more like guitar and piano sounds more like piano. That's a much controvertible claim I know, no one can tell how the original recordings are supposed to sound but let's put it this way: Denon high is kinda smooth. That makes electric guitar solo (in Blues, Hard/Metal) and piano high notes sound *not quite real* to me. STAX, however, make me wow when I listen to Eric Clapton's Unplugged album and Buddy Guy's Baddest album. Piano solos sound so good and remind me the sound of a real huge piano that I sometimes have a chance to play around with (like a real noob tho
biggrin.gif
) and Blues guitar solos make me wanna cry
wink.gif

Another biggie to note, STAX are MUCH more spacious and airy. I kinda feel the rooms/halls that held the performance. I was floored by low piano notes and Blues guitar reverb. That did not happen when I listened to Denon.

Don't get me wrong, Denon are so good. All aspects that I mentioned Denon do all good except recessed mid that really bug me. STAX are just better. To be honest I never intended to stop that soon (I tried 6 headphones in less than 5 months) but STAX is the keeper for sure. You won't see my FS thread for this baby unless I really need food or I win a lottery to change to Omega II
biggrin.gif

Just my opinion. I don't even have a D5000 with Woo 6 here to do a direct A/B test but I think I still remember how Denon sound. I'm also new to hi-fi music and I'm still learning so take my words with a grain of salt
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back