The age-old "what headphones?" question..
Feb 9, 2006 at 3:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

7even

Head-Fier
I've been searching this forum high and low, the more I look the less I seem to know... I got a 5G iPod. I'm looking for headphones to use on my daily commute to and from school. It's pretty noisy, so I need either noise-canceling or good closed/sealed [circumaural] headphones. I'm not a fan of IEMs or earbuds, so I guess those are out of the question. I listen to all types of music, including hip-hop, rock, metal, even some trance. Good bass is pretty essential; also, out here it gets pretty hot (even now) and I'll probably be wearing these outside too, soo.. yeah. My budget is about $100; I've studied closely Sennheiser HD280Pros, Sony MDR-V6s, Beyer DT231s, and Sennheiser HD25-1s, and I'm still undecided. Any (other) recommendations? Opinions?

>>>>>[[[[[[[[[[[[Update @ the bottom]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]<<<<<<<

Feb 9, 2006 at 4:02 AM Post #2 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by 7even
I've been searching this forum high and low, the more I look the less I seem to know... I got a 5G iPod. I'm looking for headphones to use on my daily commute to and from school. It's pretty noisy, so I need either noise-canceling or good closed/sealed [circumaural] headphones. I'm not a fan of IEMs or earbuds, so I guess those are out of the question. I listen to all types of music, including hip-hop, rock, metal, even some trance. Good bass is pretty essential; also, out here it gets pretty hot (even now) and I'll probably be wearing these outside too, soo.. yeah. My budget is about $100; I've studied closely Sennheiser HD280Pros, Sony MDR-V6s, Beyer DT231s, and Sennheiser HD25-1s, and I'm still undecided. Any (other) recommendations? Opinions?

HD 25-1 is closer to $200, but it's a great choice. Otherwise, the HD 280 also has great isolation for $100.

Feb 9, 2006 at 5:13 AM Post #3 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by jagorev
HD 25-1 is closer to $200, but it's a great choice. Otherwise, the HD 280 also has great isolation for $100.

Oh, oops. I drooled over tons of headphones way out of my pricerange
tongue.gif

Yeah, I keep reading good things about the isolation on the HD280s; the sound doesn't seem as impressive though..

Feb 9, 2006 at 5:50 AM Post #4 of 20
Quote:

Oh, oops. I drooled over tons of headphones way out of my pricerange
tongue.gif

Yeah, I keep reading good things about the isolation on the HD280s; the sound doesn't seem as impressive though..

You never know till you try them. I went out on a limb and tried the Beyer DT 770-80 sound and liked it, even though most people would have steered me away. It's tough to figure out what your ears really like compared to what your brain thinks they'd like.

Feb 9, 2006 at 8:20 AM Post #5 of 20
hot environment + closed phones = very hot ears
evil_smiley.gif

full-sized headphones + students + bus = you will be a geek forever
very_evil_smiley.gif

---> I'll have to vote for IEMs here.
The isolation is better, they don't boil your ears alive and their look is much better suited for portable use than full-sized headphones.
And you could even save some money, decent IEMs start at about 30 EUR around here (Sharp MD33, Creative EP-630, Sony MDR-EX71/81, Panasonic H...55).

Feb 9, 2006 at 1:16 PM Post #6 of 20
I second IEMs...

Especially if you are on noisy busses and commuting. Full sized cans are better used at home. Also, most uneducated people don't understand headphones, and will stare at you with a pair of BIG headphones on your head... Having said that, I couldn't care less what anyone thinks, I know how great the music is, but, I do get so fed up with those 'looks' you get.

IEMs are so easy to store in your bag/bakpack.. It's a hassel to lug around some large phones, they take up extra space you need to use, and can also get scratched or even worse - broken.

It takes a while to get used to IEMs, but once you do, you will realise they are perfect for portable use.

Feb 9, 2006 at 4:44 PM Post #7 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ikon
evil_smiley.gif

very_evil_smiley.gif

The isolation is better, they don't boil your ears alive and their look is much better suited for portable use than full-sized headphones.
And you could even save some money, decent IEMs start at about 30 EUR around here (Sharp MD33, Creative EP-630, Sony MDR-EX71/81, Panasonic H...55).

I think all of the ones you listed are "semi-IEM's". I have the panasonic ones and they don't isolate that well. They would not be good for a noisy bus.
The "real-IEM's" are more expensive and isolate better(They go further into your ears, i.e etymotic,shure,westone,ultimate ears etc.)

Feb 9, 2006 at 5:17 PM Post #8 of 20
in a hot environment, I'd go for some sort of bud/iem. I use the Sharp md33's, and they are actually very comfortable! Creative has a re-branded version that sells in the US for a bit cheaper than the $50 I spent on getting my md33's, if you can, I'd look into those.

Feb 9, 2006 at 6:28 PM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ikon
evil_smiley.gif

very_evil_smiley.gif

There's no bus, mainly a train
tongue.gif
I'm not too worried about that, I just need good sound quality out of non-IEMs.. Any other choices in that category? No IEMs yet
580smile.gif

I doubt any full-sized headphones can look any worse than the Aiwa noise-canceling headphones I got right now ( http://geizhals.at/img/pix/90966.jpg ). Those are also uncomfortable as hell, and fall off your head if you take a deep breath, which is where the new set comes in.

Feb 9, 2006 at 6:33 PM Post #10 of 20
90966.jpg

eek.gif

My ears hurt just looking at those!

Feb 10, 2006 at 5:42 AM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by skudmunky
Yeah, ditto. Why is the headband so square? Looks weird.

Folds completely flat.. Good headphones to carry around, bad ones to listen to
icon10.gif
Actually they don't sound bad at all, especially with the noise canceling on (and when it's noisy enough so the headphones don't hiss).

I'm looking at the Audio Technica A500s right now. Are they sensitive enough to run fine with an iPod?

Feb 10, 2006 at 6:47 AM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

Folds completely flat.. Good headphones to carry around, bad ones to listen to
icon10.gif
Actually they don't sound bad at all, especially with the noise canceling on (and when it's noisy enough so the headphones don't hiss).

I'm looking at the Audio Technica A500s right now. Are they sensitive enough to run fine with an iPod?

Should be. I think those and the A900s do pretty well unamped. That's the word around here. Can't say for certain though, haven't heard them personally.

Feb 10, 2006 at 8:13 AM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio
Should be. I think those and the A900s do pretty well unamped. That's the word around here. Can't say for certain though, haven't heard them personally.

Awesome... Now someone stop me before I get these huuuuge headphones
basshead.gif

Feb 13, 2006 at 3:22 AM Post #15 of 20
Alright, after reading everything I could find about these, got my order in for the A500s. These are gonna be my first high-quality headphones, I'm definitely excited
biggrin.gif

Never used (or even heard of) Audiocubes. How many days approximately between now and the day the A500s should arrive? Says ships in 3-5 days..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back