The advantage of aftermarket power cables
Nov 8, 2007 at 3:31 AM Post #16 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 5% who do understand it though could make invaluable use of the information. It's maddeningly frustrating to get hard specs on most aftermarket cables
frown.gif

And some claims simply fly straight into the face of science. It's hard not to roll your eyes the second manufacturers start talking about the quantum effects of their cables as an obvious example.

But if they included such information, they would have to charge a specific price, not some arbitrarily set number
biggrin.gif

Nov 8, 2007 at 4:08 AM Post #17 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by nautikal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Xenu,
Your sources are a mp3 player and a computer soundcard, and your headphones aren't that great as well. Not only do I doubt the fact that you've even heard very many after market power cables, or any types of cables, but also whether you could even hear differences with your setup. So please, stop crapping every cable thread with your mindless banter about how all cables are snake oil. Yes, $10,000 cables are probably 98% as good as $200 counterparts, but a $100 cable - interconnect, power, or headphone - is much better than a generic cable. Cables do make a difference - Get over it.

And yet another condescending *******!

I don't need to wait 5.5 billion years to know that the sun is going to become a red giant around them.

Nov 8, 2007 at 4:17 AM Post #18 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by OverlordXenu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And yet another condescending *******!

I don't need to wait 5.5 billion years to know that the sun is going to become a red giant around them.

Yes, I'm condescending because I point out the facts
rolleyes.gif
. Even if you've tried cables with your setup, you won't notice much of a difference. It's like using an amp with $4 radioshack headphones... there's no difference because the bottleneck is not with the amplification. Likewise, in your setup, the weak link is not in cabling.

We all have different priorities in life, but most of us try to avoid talking about things of which we know little about. Do you really have to go in every cable thread and post how you don't think there's a difference, even though there CLEARLY is when taking physics and user experience into account?

Nov 8, 2007 at 4:19 AM Post #19 of 43
Quote:

It doesn't matter what the manufacturers discuss, but that's what the power cables are doing; they're simply altering the flow of electrons, reducing interference and noise, and ensuring a constant voltage level. The flowery language about connectors, shielding, and internal wiring is just marketing. They could talk about the technical and scientific merits of the cable, but 95% of the people wouldn't understand and wouldn't be drawn to buy the cable.

the OP is asking if they make a difference. that doesn't mean that only responses saying they do make a difference can only be posted.

Nov 8, 2007 at 5:38 AM Post #20 of 43
Quote:

Since when are noise, voltage drops, and ripple not related to physics (science)?

Ok, so...........after 3000 meters of noise, ripple, and voltage drops from the hydro transformer to my house.....the last 2 meters will magically clean everything up if I use Joe Whizbang Ubercable from the wall socket to my amp? Dude, get real. You have no idea what you're talking about.

Nov 8, 2007 at 5:44 AM Post #21 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sarchi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, so...........after 3000 meters of noise, ripple, and voltage drops from the hydro transformer to my house.....the last 2 meters will magically clean everything up if I use Joe Whizbang Ubercable from the wall socket to my amp? Dude, get real. You have no idea what you're talking about.

Yes. You could get the dirtiest power to your house and to your socket, but as long as you have something that cleans it, it doesn't matter. That's the function of a power conditioner and power cable. In the same regard, the water company could transport sewage to your house and as long as you have the right filtration equipment, it wouldn't matter.

Nov 8, 2007 at 6:11 AM Post #22 of 43
Quote:

Yes. You could get the dirtiest power to your house and to your socket, but as long as you have something that cleans it, it doesn't matter. That's the function of a power conditioner and power cable. In the same regard, the water company could transport sewage to your house and as long as you have the right filtration equipment, it wouldn't matter.

Umm... power cables, no matter how nice, don't filter or clean anything. The better analogy would be getting sewage to your house but having REALLY shiny and clean pipes from there to your faucet. Sewage will still come out.

Nov 8, 2007 at 6:14 AM Post #23 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pibborando /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Umm... power cables, no matter how nice, don't filter or clean anything. The better analogy would be getting sewage to your house but having REALLY shiny and clean pipes from there to your faucet. Sewage will still come out.

I know... you need to have some sort of filtration in between the outside power and your amp. A good quality power cord just prevents the power from becoming degraded once it leaves the filtration unit. A power cord isn't going to magically filter the "dirty" electricity as there's no physics behind that. Sorry if my post was unclear to lead you to believe that's what I thought.

Nov 8, 2007 at 7:15 AM Post #24 of 43
Quote:

Check the title of this thread...we aren't talking about conditioners.
rolleyes.gif

Nov 8, 2007 at 2:16 PM Post #26 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by OverlordXenu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Most power conditioners are BS within themselves. Real power conditioners aren't marketed for A/V or audiophiles. And you really only need one if you live next to a smelting plant, or you get a lot of brown outs.

I don't live next to a "smelting plant", nor does my apartment have a "lot of brownouts" but the power conditioner (a Furman PL-8 Series II) I added to my system definitely eliminated the hum that was produced when I plugged my amp and CD player directly into the wall outlets. This was after I tried an Isobar Ultra and a cheapo Belkin, which did nothing.

I can see why you're skeptical. I guess you have to experience it for yourself.

Nov 8, 2007 at 2:48 PM Post #28 of 43
Quote:

I don't live next to a "smelting plant", nor does my apartment have a "lot of brownouts" but the power conditioner (a Furman PL-8 Series II) I added to my system definitely eliminated the hum that was produced when I plugged my amp and CD player directly into the wall outlets. This was after I tried an Isobar Ultra and a cheapo Belkin, which did nothing.

I can see why you're skeptical. I guess you have to experience it for yourself.

I can believe that, but was it transformer hum or hum coming out of the headphones/speaker? i.e., might it be breaking a ground loop?

Nov 8, 2007 at 2:52 PM Post #29 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sarchi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Check the title of this thread...we aren't talking about conditioners.
rolleyes.gif

Sorry, I didn't see the rule where it said threads are not allowed to diverge. Oh wait, I still don't.

But the bottom line is don't use an aftermarket power cord unless you have some sort of power conditioner.

Nov 8, 2007 at 4:14 PM Post #30 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by peelax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can believe that, but was it transformer hum or hum coming out of the headphones/speaker? i.e., might it be breaking a ground loop?

Yes, it was breaking a ground loop. I tried all sorts of combinations - unplugging the TV, removing connections from the amp, different outlets. Nothing really worked (which really means it was the amp, I guess). Dropped in the Furman and the hum, along with a nasty popping noise when the A/C kicked on, went away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back