The Active Noise Cancellation Bluetooth Headphones thread - quick guide, comparison and discussion
Apr 7, 2015 at 7:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Shinoke

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

I suggested we needed an Active Noise Cancellation Bluetooth headphones thread to other members as this is an increasingly popular and recently well met segment I think.

I've personally been looking for the "perfect" pair of what I'd call all in one headphones - one set of cans to rule them all.

These discussions can get quite long though so thought a quick reference would complement this well.

I'll try to maintain the original post to offer a quick overview.

Please share your experience and opinions on the various headphones, and share anything missing and give any suggestions.

Just an initial idea of the wonder 'phones category include:

Headphone
Sound
ANC Quality
Portability
Comfort
Ear Size
Release
Price
?
Over Ear

Sennheiser Momentum Wireless (M2 AEBT)
Excellent?
(Bassy?)
Average?
Good
Average
Medium
March 2015​
~$500

Excellent sounding and looking cans, reported Bluetooth issues and not suitable for large ears. Headband may be uncomfortable. Finicky controls. Excellent features (DAC).
Tech:
BT 4.0 MP
AptX
DAC

Definitive Technology Symphony 1
Excellent?
(Neutral)
?
Poor
?
Large
April 2015​
$400

Just released. Good reports on sound quality, not that portable but look good for large headphones. Well featured.
Tech:
BT 4.0 MP
AptX
DAC

Denon Globe Cruiser AH-GC20

April 2015​
~$400

Not yet released. Denon's answer to the Momentum Wireless and Symphony 1. Looks very promising, like a combination of the two.
Tech:
BT 4.0 MP
AptX
DAC?

Bose QuiteComfort 35 (QC35)        
Released 5th June 2016. Update to the popular QC25, now with bluetooth. However no AptX Tech:
BT ?
NO Aptx!
DAC?
Excellent?GoodExcellentLargeJune 2016~$350 
Samsung Level Over
Good?(Warm/Neutral)
Good?
Poor
Good
Large
April 2014​
~$350

Bluetooth unit noise issue. Older tech, not very portable. Look good but plastic/faux leather build and very bulky. Unlike Denon and Definitive Tech the earcups don't fold.
Tech:
BT 3.0
Aptx

Touch controls

Plantronics Back Beat Pro
Good?
(Bassy)
Poor?
Poor
?
Medium?
Nov 2014
~$250

Excellent tech, poor ANC, bulky and not very portable. Bassy with good sound for those that like that signature.
Tech:
BT 4.0 MP
Aptx

Parot Zik 2.0
Very Good?
(EQ)
Very Good?
Good
Poor
Medium?
Nov 2014
~$400

Poor (6 hour) battery, poor customer support and uncomfortable for large heads and ears. Requires app. Good sound and very good ANC.
Tech:
BT 3.0

Touch controls

On Ear

Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay H8
Good?
?
Very Good
Good?
-
Jan 2015
~$500

Comments?
Can link to comparison post here

Phiaton Chord MS530

We can flesh this out more and work out the best criteria etc.

Any notable headphones that have been left out, and any suggestions?

Please share your thoughts and opinions. Hopefully this can act as a useful reference, for those that want a quick overview, and then want to narrow down their search.

Please note I've only actually tried the Momentum Wireless and Samsung Level Over myself so far, and any "ratings" are just indicative/placeholder.

Other headphone info I've gleaned from other forum posts, online reviews and so forth.

So the idea is to enter whatever the general opinion is. I'm a bit of a noob to high quality headphones so happy to enter whatever the general opinion is. Just thought this would be a useful resource for all.

Obviously sound quality and things can be very subjective, but normally good quality can be recognised even if not enjoyed personally? Maybe Good (Bassy) or Good (Neutral) would be worth entering?

Or numbers out of 5 for example?

Please feel free to share your more informed comparisons if you like, and we can use your comparisons to shape the table and link to the post with your comparison for more detail.

That should hopefully make this easy to use (basically like a wiki).

Cheers!

May 30, 2015 at 8:34 PM Post #3 of 10
Would be a great thread if folks found it and posted what they thought.  I have interest in the DT Symphony's and Denon's new ones since the Sennheisers are so messed up and we don't know if or when they will be fixed.

Jun 1, 2015 at 11:29 AM Post #4 of 10
  Would be a great thread if folks found it and posted what they thought.  I have interest in the DT Symphony's and Denon's new ones since the Sennheisers are so messed up and we don't know if or when they will be fixed.

In one of the Sennheiser threads it was reported I think either directly from a rep or by a user that Sennheiser have no intention of updating the M2s - e.g. to Bluetooth 4.1, even though they can receive a software/firmware update.

My situation's exactly the same. I tried to Sennheiser M2 Wireless but they had too many issues (for me especially it the was the ear cup size), and would really like to try the Defitive Technology Symphony 1 and Denon GC20s. I'm now leaning more toward the GC20 given the better price and portability than the Symphonys.

Yes I do hope people share their experience as there are a number of us looking for the ultimate all in one/bluetooth ANC headphones, and some great models are coming out in that market.

Please share your thoughts :)

Jun 2, 2015 at 9:27 AM Post #5 of 10

In one of the Sennheiser threads it was reported I think either directly from a rep or by a user that Sennheiser have no intention of updating the M2s - e.g. to Bluetooth 4.1, even though they can receive a software/firmware update.

My situation's exactly the same. I tried to Sennheiser M2 Wireless but they had too many issues (for me especially it the was the ear cup size), and would really like to try the Defitive Technology Symphony 1 and Denon GC20s. I'm now leaning more toward the GC20 given the better price and portability than the Symphonys.

Yes I do hope people share their experience as there are a number of us looking for the ultimate all in one/bluetooth ANC headphones, and some great models are coming out in that market.

Please share your thoughts :)

What others are scheduled to come out in the next month or two?  I would have thought that we'd be farther ahead on wireless with anc by now.  It's getting frustrating as the broken Sennheisers seem to be the only true option, but in reality they aren't even out yet and we don't know IF they will be able to fix the problems.

Jun 2, 2015 at 9:50 AM Post #6 of 10
I can chime in here but only with regards to the Parot Zik 2.0.

I was at the HP shop to try out the HE-6, LCD's, and a few other full sized headphones. For the heck of it, I gave the Zik a try because it was just happened to be in front of me on display. I was surprised by the sound quality of them. I didn't expect bluetooth HPs to sound this good. The summary above states that it 'requires' an app. I would change that to, 'you would be crazy not to use the app' but then I forgot that this would be a problem for people that want to use it with a DAP. The app is very good. It allows you to control the equalizer (but it is a pretty unique equalizer; a very effective one in my opinion).

To deal with the battery issue, I bought a second battery, which I would advise with the purchase of any electronic good. That way you can minimize all the extra charges that you would normally do when you still have 30-40% because you want a full battery for the next day. So I use it until it gets down between 5 and 10% because I have the other battery with full charge ready to go at any time.

Anyway, I will comment more at another time. Got to get to other things....

Jun 2, 2015 at 9:53 AM Post #7 of 10
  I can chime in here but only with regards to the Parot Zik 2.0.

I was at the HP shop to try out the HE-6, LCD's, and a few other full sized headphones. For the heck of it, I gave the Zik a try because it was just happened to be in front of me on display. I was surprised by the sound quality of them. I didn't expect bluetooth HPs to sound this good. The summary above states that it 'requires' an app. I would change that to, 'you would be crazy not to use the app' but then I forgot that this would be a problem for people that want to use it with a DAP. The app is very good. It allows you to control the equalizer (but it is a pretty unique equalizer; a very effective one in my opinion).

To deal with the battery issue, I bought a second battery, which I would advise with the purchase of any electronic good. That way you can minimize all the extra charges that you would normally do when you still have 30-40% because you want a full battery for the next day. So I use it until it gets down between 5 and 10% because I have the other battery with full charge ready to go at any time.

Anyway, I will comment more at another time. Got to get to other things....

I take it that it's a simple battery change?  I have heard so many mixed reviews of the Zik 2.0.  I may check it out ifI can find someplace who sells them that allows you to audition them, lol.

Jun 2, 2015 at 10:40 AM Post #8 of 10

I take it that it's a simple battery change?  I have heard so many mixed reviews of the Zik 2.0.  I may check it out ifI can find someplace who sells them that allows you to audition them, lol.

The can't imagine an easier battery change than this. The cup that holds the battery is attached to the HP by magnets. So no need to have any tools, or anything to really pry it open. Just your fingers. Sounds a little scary but I have never had a problem with the cap popping off because the magnets are fairly strong.

The app also has a screen that offers multiple 'soundstage'-like settings. It's artificial I know, but I like it. It's my fun HP, not for serious listening but still ok for that too if you have to.

And the finger tip controls on the right cup is very addictive. I found myself gesturing to my ears when I wore my SE535. Quite amusing and it made me smile every time I did this.

My head is not very big. I find these HPs to be very comfortable and the clicking for the size setting is very distinct, unlike my Ed8LE's, which have smoothened out even after Ultrasone 'repaired' them. :l

Jun 6, 2016 at 12:06 PM Post #9 of 10
Hi all,

Sorry, was meaning to post some replies.

Not much has changed in the BT ANC headphone scene for a while it seems.

Until now!

Bose have finally updated the QC25 and made them wireless, in their latest model - the QC35.

UK linky: https://www.bose.co.uk/en_gb/products/featured/qc35.html

I'm still rocking my Symphony 1s, which apart from a few niggles are great.
The key point being that they sound great.
I imagine they will sound better than the QC35, but the QC35 will likely win for ANC and comfort, as the QC25 was top in that regard.

Do let us know what you think of any of the models in the first post, or any other models.

Will update this as well.

All the best,

Shin

Users who are viewing this thread

Back