The absolute BEST budget setups
Jan 5, 2010 at 7:37 AM Post #61 of 85
semi-portable + office + bedside budget setup:-

Used Discman/ CD "Walkman" (E.G. Sony E-900) ~$40-$60
+
Used Shure SRH-840 ~ $100

For as little as ~$150, it beats all of my DAP player setups hands down!

Jan 5, 2010 at 7:58 AM Post #63 of 85
aren't they?
wink.gif

if you make an educated guess at a first setup you'll be more than happy with the result. 'Absolute best' is an empty term, since everyone is different with genres and preferences. so there can't be one 'best' solution but after some journey in headphone land some will say 'oh my, had I known what I know now before I started, I'd have gone with this ...'. Those are valuable opinions.

Jan 5, 2010 at 8:07 AM Post #65 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by RichieLitt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This thread is failing, imo..Everyone is just posting their own rigs, acting like they're the best thing possible.

so whats your recommendation?

Jan 5, 2010 at 8:43 AM Post #66 of 85
Quote:

This thread is failing, imo..Everyone is just posting their own rigs, acting like they're the best thing possible.

Some people are, but a lot of people aren't... There are definitely some great recommendations here

on another note, I guess might have to check out some electrostats soon

Jan 5, 2010 at 1:12 PM Post #68 of 85
Quote:

Maybe you would be more impressed with the list of equipment that was tried by each member before the end rig was discovered? I am sure that these systems are not just some random configuration but the end result of years of effort.

If they did not think they were the best for the money they would have something else, right?

Jan 5, 2010 at 1:16 PM Post #69 of 85
I did a lot of research, and I BOUGHT what I thought was the best rig for $1000. NuForce uDAC + EF5 + HE-5. = Exactly $1000 minus shipping.

BTW, headphoneaddict agrees this is the best setup under $1000.

Jan 5, 2010 at 3:08 PM Post #71 of 85
Apogee ONE>HD600=CASH MONEY
biggrin.gif
. Around $400 total 2nd hand and can run with anything out there. Super sweet set up with any MAC and it records at a very high quality for the price. Ive been raving about the APOGEE ONE to lots of my friends cuz for the money it can't be beat and can drive the Senns with ease.

Jan 5, 2010 at 3:09 PM Post #72 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by IboHD800 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so whats your recommendation?

My recommendation would be to figure out what a "budget" system is (I'm thinking approx. $1K (US) and under zone). Then figure out who knows what he/she's talking about.
atsmile.gif
. Some of the more interesting setups I've seen posted in this thread (so far) come from:

jawang
catscratch
boomana
Uncle Erik
Emooze

Actually, Uncle Erik's suggested rig is something I might be interested in piecing together myself.

Jan 5, 2010 at 4:00 PM Post #73 of 85
Why would I recommend a rig I haven't experienced? Seems silly to me.

On that note:

DAP>Nuforce Icon Mobile>Grado SR-80/MS1

Or

DAP>Nuforce Icon Mobile>RE0

OR

DAP>iBasso D2+ Boa>Grado SR-225

OR

DAP>iBasso D2+ Boa>Triple.Fi 10

I suggested the dac/amps because they're both versatile and sound good (to me) for their respective classes. Most people who have a DAP also have a computer and why not have something that will make the music they probably already have on their computer sound much better than the soundcard they likely have? Heck, it might even sound better than coming out of that DAP. So in essence you have two systems. That's how you stretch a budget!
smily_headphones1.gif

Ross

Jan 5, 2010 at 4:08 PM Post #74 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by IboHD800 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
semi-portable + office + bedside budget setup:-

Used Discman/ CD "Walkman" (E.G. Sony E-900) ~$40-$60
+
Used Shure SRH-840 ~ $100

For as little as ~$150, it beats all of my DAP player setups hands down!

That sounds really good. I would further suggest new SRH840's, which were selling for as little as 145 USD shipped on Amazon.com, now up to 157 USD. Still an absolute steal for the performance they deliver - combined with any decent but powerful enough source.

Jan 5, 2010 at 4:40 PM Post #75 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by baka1969 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why would I recommend a rig I haven't experienced? Seems silly to me.

I'm not sure who you were replying to, but I think the point was that, if you've only heard the one or two headphone/amp/source combos you currently own, then you may not be in the best situation to recommend to others "the absolute BEST budget setups". I know I'm certainly in no position to recommend a "best" budget setup.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back