The 701's hurt!
May 20, 2007 at 11:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

mb3k

1000+ Head-Fier
Has anyone noticed that the AKG 701 headband pushes down on the head and after a while it starts to hurt?
I've had mine for about 2 months now and I thought it would go away after some stretching and normal use, but unfortunately it hasn't.
Is my head a weird shape, or is everyone experiencing the 701 pain?
confused.gif

May 20, 2007 at 11:52 PM Post #3 of 28
In all honesty, I loved the K701 feel. One of the most comfortable headphones I tried at the meet. The headband felt really light and unobtrusive to me, *shrug*. Maybe it was my small head or goofy hair. You could try growing more hair perhaps? Personally, I find my 650's much more bothersome on my head. Even when I stretch them out they still feel really clampy, even though I have a small head. Unfortunately, I preferred the 650 sound over the 701's.

May 20, 2007 at 11:58 PM Post #4 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by ichiboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In all honesty, I loved the K701 feel. One of the most comfortable headphones I tried at the meet. The headband felt really light and unobtrusive to me, *shrug*. Maybe it was my small head or goofy hair. You could try growing more hair perhaps? Personally, I find my 650's much more bothersome on my head. Even when I stretch them out they still feel really clampy, even though I have a small head. Unfortunately, I preferred the 650 sound over the 701's.

Quite opposite.
I would say my head is tall but thin in width so the 650's fit perfect and snug which I could wear for hours.
Unfortunately, I prefer the 701 sound over the 650
600smile.gif

May 21, 2007 at 12:02 AM Post #5 of 28
I found the K701 slightly more comfortable than the HD600/HD650. However I never wore them for any extended periods. The AKG self-adjusting headband is a bigger bonus over the Sennheisers imo. Im sorry to hear they aren't comfortable for you though, have you had this issue with any other headphones?

May 21, 2007 at 12:17 AM Post #6 of 28
i had this same problem and found a thread here several months ago with the same topic. someone there mentioned applying some mink oil or some other type of leather oil and massaging the little bubbles until they became softer. i used some oil that i had for gloves from back in my baseball days. i applied it maybe twice a week for a couple of weeks and would massage the middle bubbles whenever i was sitting near my cans but wasn't listening. i'd say it's helped tremendously. i hope that helps

May 21, 2007 at 12:30 AM Post #7 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoppergrass /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i had this same problem and found a thread here several months ago with the same topic. someone there mentioned applying some mink oil or some other type of leather oil and massaging the little bubbles until they became softer. i used some oil that i had for gloves from back in my baseball days. i applied it maybe twice a week for a couple of weeks and would massage the middle bubbles whenever i was sitting near my cans but wasn't listening. i'd say it's helped tremendously. i hope that helps

Excellent advice. Hopefully similar results will come.
Thanks!

May 21, 2007 at 3:48 AM Post #8 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoppergrass /img/forum/go_quote.gif

ha... talk about VIP treatment for ur cans huh.... massages 2X a week... i get <2 in a whole year!

May 21, 2007 at 4:16 AM Post #10 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by mb3k /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone noticed that the AKG 701 headband pushes down on the head and after a while it starts to hurt?
I've had mine for about 2 months now and I thought it would go away after some stretching and normal use, but unfortunately it hasn't.
Is my head a weird shape, or is everyone experiencing the 701 pain?
confused.gif

I noticed the headband pushing down my head on long sessions, but i can easily live with it ...

May 21, 2007 at 7:43 AM Post #11 of 28
Yes, they hurt the top of my head.

I wish they hadn't. They sound great. I'd still have them if they weren't so bumpy in the headband.

Maybe I'll try them again someday........
evil_smiley.gif

May 21, 2007 at 8:25 AM Post #13 of 28
I found the 701 uncomfortable in just the same way as you, but not right away, only when I used them for more than 1h. Maybe it is possible to change to the 601s headband? then you would get rid of that frikking bubble.

May 21, 2007 at 9:30 AM Post #15 of 28
ain't got no hair
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back