The $7 Cubu Earbud
Apr 3, 2017 at 3:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Redcarmoose

Headphoneus Supremus

Hi Kids Meet Cubu!

Ok, the name does sound like the name of a clown, and frankly these earbuds look like a joke. Your not going to be buying these for looks or construction so let's get into the sound.

I had been going into a shop and listening to these off and on for about four months. The demo pair never had foam covers and I just could not get excited about them. I never thought about adding foam covers as they already seemed to be very unusually bass-centric for an earbud. Last week I tried them with thick foam covers and a light-bulb went on above my head. No wonder they sell millions of these things in Indonesia. They tuned out to be some of the best budget audiophile earbuds I have found, despite looking like they should cost 50 cents.

A reference recording used here is John Astley's 1996 remix and remaster of 1969's Tommy by The Who. Such a song as the 9:55 "Underture" instrumental ends up being the perfect test track to judge these headphones. Other tracks on Tommy also show great recordings of lead vocals and in combination such a disk is the final test to find out just how natural and accurate these $7 earbuds can go. Failing only slightly at bringing the cold snap of the orchestral wood block percussion up to the front becomes my only critique. Still coming in with great skills relaying the multiple guitars and background male vocal segments. The best feature here is the earbuds convey the musicality of the track, though slightly warm and not as detailed as home reference replay, they still do a swift pure and smooth rendition of the number. This song ends up being such a test tour de force due to so many tracks doing so much at once. Large kettledrums with room reverb in the background get their fair share of dramatic acoustic presence right along with the acoustic guitars and electric guitars at hand. I can't dramatize just how many things are going on with "Underture" and how so many IEMs or earbuds are not up to fully relate the sonic fireworks here to the listener. Not an easy job and a straight up profound enigma for a $7 earbud to do with such ease.

It's when they bring out the acoustic 12 strings into the mix and you instantly recognize a 12 string guitar is when you realize these silly toys are actually keepers.

Bass:
A bunch of heavy bass, and maybe the strongest bass I have ever heard from an earbud at any price. More bass than the $70 MrZ Ting but maybe a slightly less detailed rendition than the more refined Edifier H180 earbud. In fact you would not ever call the bass as sloppy but maybe not as defined as some earbuds. Still this mega bass ends up making these the ultimate earbuds for listening to Psytrance or EDM all day long.

Mid-range:
These follow the simple V shape signature which diverges from our regular mid-centric standard earbud response. So with the V shape the mid-range gets just a slight pull. After long listening runs I have to relate the balance here is just right. At the nicest of times little extra musical filigree present themselves in their own nice place in the mid-range.

Treble:
The Edifier H180s are really a more refined and pretty treble in this price range. The 180s are also going to be just slightly more accurate and detailed. Still most are going to want to use the Cubu as they are just so very musical. Vocals never seem too laid-back or distant. The treble is never sharp or cutting, making the Cubu just a party ready for extended listens fatigue free and fun.

Sound-stage:
This is why we are here. The magic of each instrument and reverb effect feathering off into infinity right outside your ears. The playful way they do pan effects and high pitched effects way-way out of your head. Still everything is coherent and natural and in place.

These little green toys do stuff with ease that many of my more expensive headphones struggle with. You gotta love that.

Pros:
Cheap as a sandwich
Low-weight and easy to fit
Signature allows for fatigue free 10 hours listening runs
Easy to buy or replace
Buttery smooth heartwarming magic bass
Slightly dark

Cons:
Ugly as sin
Look like they may break if you look away
Foam covers which come with them break apart on first use
No packaging, only zip-lock bag
Strange colors like mustard yellow, pumpkin orange or army green
Thin budget cords
Slightly dark

https://m.tokopedia.com/albarq/earphone-kube-dan-cubu

Equipment Used:
iPod Touch 5th Generation
Cambridge Audio DACmagic Plus
Schiit Asgard One
Apple Lossless and 320 MP3 files

Remember everyone has different ears and equipment. Everyone has different sound signature choices and musical genre demands. Your millage may vary.

[VIDEO] https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZtR_-TPYIc [/VIDEO]

https://www.bukalapak.com/p/elektronik/headphone/1a9gh6-jual-the-kube-earbuds-earphone-headset-murah-kualitas-studio-dijamin-mantep-suaranya-gan-gak-diragukan-lagi

Edit:
Noted in the photographs after the Cubu name is a very small "s". Some Cubu editions have this "s" and some do not. I do not know if there is a sound quality difference between the two models?

Apr 4, 2017 at 2:12 PM Post #3 of 8

Hi Kids Meet Cubu!

Ok, the name does sound like the name of a clown, and frankly these earbuds look like a joke. Your not going to be buying these for looks or construction so let's get into the sound.

I had been going into a shop and listening to these off and on for about four months. The demo pair never had foam covers and I just could not get excited about them. I never thought about adding foam covers as they already seemed to be very unusually bass-centric for an earbud. Last week I tried them with thick foam covers and a light-bulb went on above my head. No wonder they sell millions of these things in Indonesia. They tuned out to be some of the best budget audiophile earbuds I have found, despite looking like they should cost 50 cents.

A reference recording used here is John Astley's 1996 remix and remaster of 1969's Tommy by The Who. Such a song as the 9:55 "Underture" instrumental ends up being the perfect test track to judge these headphones. Other tracks on Tommy also show great recordings of lead vocals and in combination such a disk is the final test to find out just how natural and accurate these $7 earbuds can go. Failing only slightly at bringing the cold snap of the orchestral wood block percussion up to the front becomes my only critique. Still coming in with great skills relaying the multiple guitars and background male vocal segments. The best feature here is the earbuds convey the musicality of the track, though slightly warm and not as detailed as home reference replay, they still do a swift pure and smooth rendition of the number. This song ends up being such a test tour de force due to so many tracks doing so much at once. Large kettledrums with room reverb in the background get their fair share of dramatic acoustic presence right along with the acoustic guitars and electric guitars at hand. I can't dramatize just how many things are going on with "Underture" and how so many IEMs or earbuds are not up to fully relate the sonic fireworks here to the listener. Not an easy job and a straight up profound enigma for a $7 earbud to do with such ease.

It's when they bring out the acoustic 12 strings into the mix and you instantly recognize a 12 string guitar is when you realize these silly toys are actually keepers.

Bass:
A bunch of heavy bass, and maybe the strongest bass I have ever heard from an earbud at any price. More bass than the $70 MrZ Ting but maybe a slightly less detailed rendition than the more refined Edifier H180 earbud. In fact you would not ever call the bass as sloppy but maybe not as defined as some earbuds. Still this mega bass ends up making these the ultimate earbuds for listening to Psytrance or EDM all day long.

Mid-range:
These follow the simple V shape signature which diverges from our regular mid-centric standard earbud response. So with the V shape the mid-range gets just a slight pull. After long listening runs I have to relate the balance here is just right. At the nicest of times little extra musical filigree present themselves in their own nice place in the mid-range.

Treble:
The Edifier H180s are really a more refined and pretty treble in this price range. The 180s are also going to be just slightly more accurate and detailed. Still most are going to want to use the Cubu as they are just so very musical. Vocals never seem too laid-back or distant. The treble is never sharp or cutting, making the Cubu just a party ready for extended listens fatigue free and fun.

Sound-stage:
This is why we are here. The magic of each instrument and reverb effect feathering off into infinity right outside your ears. The playful way they do pan effects and high pitched effects way-way out of your head. Still everything is coherent and natural and in place.

These little green toys do stuff with ease that many of my more expensive headphones struggle with. You gotta love that.

Pros:
Cheap as a sandwich
Low-weight and easy to fit
Signature allows for fatigue free 10 hours listening runs
Easy to buy or replace
Buttery smooth heartwarming magic bass
Slightly dark

Cons:
Ugly as sin
Look like they may break if you look away
Foam covers which come with them break apart on first use
No packaging, only zip-lock bag
Strange colors like mustard yellow, pumpkin orange or army green
Thin budget cords
Slightly dark

https://m.tokopedia.com/albarq/earphone-kube-dan-cubu

Equipment Used:
iPod Touch 5th Generation
Cambridge Audio DACmagic Plus
Schiit Asgard One
Apple Lossless and 320 MP3 files

Remember everyone has different ears and equipment. Everyone has different sound signature choices and musical genre demands. Your millage may vary.

https://www.bukalapak.com/p/elektronik/headphone/1a9gh6-jual-the-kube-earbuds-earphone-headset-murah-kualitas-studio-dijamin-mantep-suaranya-gan-gak-diragukan-lagi

Compare to Edifier 180, did you find it better in terms of Treble and 180 has sharper treble but better Bass. is it so? Or 180 is having punchuig and thumping bass and sub-bass and also smooth treble and warm sound? 

Apr 5, 2017 at 6:12 AM Post #5 of 8
Compare to Edifier 180, did you find it better in terms of Treble and 180 has sharper treble but better Bass. is it so? Or 180 is having punchuig and thumping bass and sub-bass and also smooth treble and warm sound? 

No the Cubu has way better bass straight out of an iPod 5 generation. They get way loud enough at even 3/4 volume where I could go full volume with the Edifier H180 and even then it was just nearly loud enough. I have only spent time with the H180 in a store. Though it seemed taking the H180 and getting it home on a loud home rig could take it to superior levels? Where the Cubu is great straight out of a phone.

The Edifier H180 has a more refined treble where the Cubu seems to get it's detail from a big soundstage and laid back treble. Normally my test of low cost bass heavy IEMs is to just listen for three hours. If a cheap IEM has bass frequently which is covering up detail then I can get boredom.

I have only experience with the Ting, the Apple EarPods and the Remax RM305M and Edifier H180. Out of all these the Cubu displays a superior bass response like I never thought would be with Earbuds, also the vocals are not far away which is normally my biggest problem as I can deal with less or more bass. I do have limited listening to the Edifier H185 also. And as most know the H180 is maybe the preferred audiophile earbud due to the treble detail not in the H185. Though I choose the Cubu over the H185 for liking the midbass and lower bass better. Maybe even soundstage too? Again all this only took place after adding heavy foam covers or donuts to the Cubu. Nude the Cubu is a rather pedestrian listen with the wrong frequently pushed at times, making it sound cheap.

http://www.head-fi.org/products/remax-rm-305m-aluminum-earbud

http://www.head-fi.org/products/musicmaker-ting/reviews/15584

Apr 5, 2017 at 6:19 AM Post #6 of 8
Your description reminds me of ty hi z 32? Ever tried those to compare? Or other buds not already mentioned?

Have no experience with those, sorry.

Apr 5, 2017 at 10:56 AM Post #7 of 8
Ok. Basically I was looking for a nice and good looking but budget earbuds with Mic which has plenty of bass and Thumping and Rumbling Bass/Sub-Bass and also very warm signature and while detailed, it is not harsh. Currently I am having SHE3800 which is really good but I was just wondering if any upgrade to 3800 is there? I would prefer flat cable but seems except UiiSii U2, no other bud has Flat cable. Edifier P190 has but I heard it is not good bud at all. While it says tht it has good bass, U2 also does not have kind of bass and sub bass and warmness I want. 

Apr 5, 2017 at 12:44 PM Post #8 of 8
Ok. Basically I was looking for a nice and good looking but budget earbuds with Mic which has plenty of bass and Thumping and Rumbling Bass/Sub-Bass and also very warm signature and while detailed, it is not harsh. Currently I am having SHE3800 which is really good but I was just wondering if any upgrade to 3800 is there? I would prefer flat cable but seems except UiiSii U2, no other bud has Flat cable. Edifier P190 has but I heard it is not good bud at all. While it says tht it has good bass, U2 also does not have kind of bass and sub bass and warmness I want. 

Best just to try a bunch if you can, as eventually you find the sound your after. Where I live in Indonesia they recable the Edifier H180 bringing it to another level. People just simply make a small business by improving it. At this point for what ever reasons the Cubu "s" is a little hard to find outside of Indonesia. It could maybe have parrallel sound units made the same way under a different branding, but I would not know where to start. You could always start with the $5 Monk earbuds. Or then again simply order a pair of H180s or H185s and try em out.

You could always just post a thread asking for a bass heavy earbud with a mic. Someone will answer with suggestions. I'm not an earbud expert.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back