The $299 DAC Decision: Musical Fidelity V90 / Peachtree DAC-iT X / Cambridge DACMagic 100
Jul 6, 2015 at 9:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Monoespacio

New Head-Fier
Hi there,

I'm planning to buy a new DAC to upgrade my old FiiO E10 and while searching for it, I noticed several ones in the $299 price point.

Based on the general reviews of those, I'm narrowing the search to the following three:

Peachtree DAC-iT X

Musical Fidelity V90-DAC

Cambridge DACMagic 100

I'm looking to drive a pair of Sennheiser HD650's connected to a Cayin HA-1A. Any suggestions or will I have to spend more?

Thanks in advance.

Jul 6, 2015 at 12:52 PM Post #2 of 3
Just a relative newb to the forum and not using headphones for primary listening, but a long-toothed hifi veteran otherwise---If you're willing to push it another $50, I've really been following the intro of this guy:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/754820/idac2-launching-with-a-bang-competition-with-mega-goodies-gotta-be-in-it-to-win-it-see-page-4-for-details

I've only heard two of the three you listed (Dac 100 and V-90) and only as dacs. I preferred the v-90 by a margin (S/PDIF and no files above 24/96), across the board, with two very good but differently balanced speakers--Energy Connoisseur 4 floor-standers and Celestion sl6 monitors, driven by Acuras (Dan D'agastino budget amp from his Aragon days; related company) with Adcom 565 (Nelson Pass design consultant) preamp. Cabling was entry and mid-level AQ and Monster.

I always go with listening to make sure, of course, but evaluating ifi's history and the unit's innards, idac2 offers numerous indicators it should be a winner.

Aug 2, 2015 at 9:47 AM Post #3 of 3
Thanks for your suggestion. It sure looks promising.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back