The 1980'S - worst decade for music?
May 22, 2005 at 8:48 PM Post #16 of 91
not posted on here for a while but on the subject of 80's music (when iwas a lad) the beginning of Ozzy's solo career, Sammy Hagar visits the UK again, Motorhead continue to give us top albums like Iron Fist and my personal favourite's Saxon (northern band don't you know) give the haunting track 'Dallas 1pm' from their Stong Arm album.

Forget all that pop music, techno\dance wasn't there yet we had to wait a while for that, the 80's were good but i still get to hear great stuff from the 70's thats new to me. Its all good if you keep looking.

May 22, 2005 at 8:52 PM Post #17 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by oldblueviffer
Saxon (northern band don't you know)

I know them very well
wink.gif

May 22, 2005 at 9:05 PM Post #18 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkFloyd
I know them very well
wink.gif

very under-rated and often overlooked in favour of those awfull Sheffield boys whose name i shall not say.

Grew up watching and listening to Biff and the boys, last saw them in Derby around 10 years ago, still doing the biz with Lionheart (the last i listened to).

May 22, 2005 at 9:17 PM Post #19 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by oldblueviffer
techno\dance wasn't there yet we had to wait a while for that

Sorry, just saw that and have to reply... you can go back as far as BACH to hear the beginnings of Techno but if you want to go back only 40 years check out Terry Riley..... check out Tangerine Dream (70's) or YELLO (80's) these guys were way ahead of the game.... what you class as "techno" is nothing more than a repetitive, bland, "beat" that satisfies todays musically inept punter who will dance like a lunatic to any form of "beat"

Progressive Techno is dead and gone and none of todays "techno butchers" will ever understand true techno or be able to take it to another plateau...... all they can do is sample and copy....... T-Dream and Yello were / are true pioneers and anyone who understands techno will agree with that I'm sure.

It really pisses me off when people come out with silly statements, especially when they pertain to the history of music, "Techno" isn't a new thing...... trust me, I know.

EDIT: Sorry, I read your comments re: "Techno" completely out of context....... my apologies.

Mike.

May 22, 2005 at 11:55 PM Post #21 of 91
I don't know that it's better or worse than any other decade.

Not a bad decade for mainstream rock, with Springsteen, Van Halen, U2, Metallica, Guns N Roses, Aerosmith, etc. Some people thought the 90s were a lot better with the alternative bit, but really 80s rock was just bigger and more fun.

Probably the real foundation decade for today's pop music, with Michael Jackson, Madonna, and Whitney Houston.

The best spoof artist of all time, Weird Al.

The synth sound may have been a fad, but it was pretty fun to listen to.

May 23, 2005 at 12:33 AM Post #22 of 91
Interesting -- on the Steve Hoffman board there's a thread about this.

I think it isn't. The present decade is much worse IMO. 2000-up .. there hasn't been worse music than this. The 90's were acceptable with groups like The Foo Fighters and Nirvana emerging, and the 80's had a lot of influence on the 90's, and was home to the likes of The Talking Heads... really I think that it is not NEARLY as good as the 60's and 70's, but there's worse... trust me.

I'd much rather be with guys dressed in tight purple outfits with big hair, than big "tough guys" most likely carying guns, with no hair (and dont' forget - usually NO SHIRTS!
mad.gif
) that don't even really play MUSIC (I don't call what they do "singing", nor using any abnormal voice).

May 23, 2005 at 1:21 AM Post #24 of 91
Seems to me like the 80s was about the time the whole mass-appeal marketing style began to pervade the music industry. That's not to say that nothing good came out during that time, but I do believe that the 80's mark the "selling out" of the industry as a whole. That trend seems to have gotten worse, but with the advent of the internet and some public backlash against the whole mass-appeal genre, there does seem to be some hope for the future.

May 23, 2005 at 1:36 AM Post #25 of 91
I can't help thinking that when someone pigeonholes a decade of music, they probably missed a crapload. Like if someone discounts to 70's just because they think it's all Disco. All of the 80's isn't all just New Wave you know, just like the 90's isn't all Grunge. There's alot of great stuff from each decade.

May 23, 2005 at 1:54 AM Post #26 of 91
to recap what everyone else has been saying, the eighties were just as pioneering and influential to modern music as any other decade. without many eighties artists, we would not have Rap/Hip Hop, Alternative, Pop-Punk, Emo, Industrial, Electronica/Techno, etc... to dismiss the eighties because of viewing it as mindless, pop drivel is ignorant and narrow minded.

what was great about the eighties is there was a kaleidoscope of genres and styles that were becoming hugely successful, the public were feverishly buying records, and the top 40 radio stations were daring enough to mix things up. one could hear New Wave acts like Duran Duran along side Heavy Metal acts like Guns N' Roses with Rap artists like Run DMC and pop staples like Michael Jackson, Madonna, and Journey on one radio station. you can't say that about today's radio stations, who airs endless playlists of the same boring stuff over and over again... maintaining their genre and format for their "target audiences."

many eighties artists were also daring to cross over to other genres. for example, an English cult band called New Order goes off to New York to collaborate for a hugely important and seminal club record called "Confusion" with Hip Hop pioneer Arthur Baker, who was instrument in writing and producing two important Hip Hop classics called "Planet Rock" and "Looking For the Perfect Beat" by Afrika Bambaataa. a duo of R&B/Soul producers named Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis were looking for a hugely successful English New Wave act called The Human League to help them achieve mainstream success with a hit single called "Human" and a genre bending album called "Crash." if "Human" would not have topped the US Billboard Charts, who knows what would happen with other Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis legends like Janet Jackson, Boyz II Men, and Mary J. Blige. it's also important to note that The Human League's hits "Don't You Want Me" and "Keep Feeling Fascination" were in the Top Ten Billboard's R&B/Dance charts before going into the mainstream charts. Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis were inspired to to great things because of hearing "Keep Feeling Fascination." a Rap/Hip Hop group called Run DMC basically resurrected a legendary Hard Rock group called Aerosmith for a collarboration single called "Walk This Way." assuring Areosmith's comeback. the eighties were exciting times.

also, the synth wasn't a fad... it is unbelievable how important and influential the synth was for today's music. if Afrika Bambaataa have not heard synth pioneers Kraftwerk's songs "Trans Europe Express" and "Numbers," we would not have the Hip Hop classic "Planet Rock," which also was one of the first records to use a new technique called "sampling" to build new songs that endless Rap/Hip Hop artists use these days. if David Bowie have not heard Kraftwerk, he would not have the influence to record his Berlin Trilogy "Low," "Heroes," and "Lodger." if Trent Reznor did not hear two synth-pop classic album called "Dare!" from The Human League and "The Pleasure Principle" from Gary Numan, he would not have the influence to form his own electonic based act called Nine Inch Nails. if Gary Numan's song "Films" were not played in endless New York clubs, there wouldn't be countless Hip Hop DJs, producers, and artists. if two guys named Tom Rowlands and Ed Simons have never heard synth records from New Order being played in a club called The Hacienda in Manchester, they would have never formed The Chemical Brothers. if Billy Corgan didn't listen to Depeche Mode, New Order, and The Cure, he would never have formed The Smashing Pumpkins. no Underworld without Soft Cell... no Killers without Duran Duran... no Ladytron without The Human League... no Moby without Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark... no No Doubt/Gwen Stefani without Duran Duran and New Order, i could go on and on and on...
biggrin.gif

May 23, 2005 at 3:34 AM Post #27 of 91
Nice post, bong.

Let us not forget The Pretenders. Chrissie Hynde is queen!

HAH! Viator122, didn't wait long enough for your smilie before. Too funny.

May 23, 2005 at 6:19 AM Post #29 of 91
The 80's dont suck and heres why:

The birth of Hip Hop, House, Techno, New Wave. As bong mentioned these all have common roots. Its funny how divided music is nowadays but all of those were played together in clubs back then. Listen to some of those artists mentioned above and you could make a nice seamless mix with Human League, Madonna, New Order, Tom Tom Club, Grandmaster Flash, Afrika Bambaataa(sp?), Mantronix, Blondie, Newcleus, Devo, David Bowie, Heaven 17. Ive got some good collections and individual discs that are awesome. Check out The Perfect Beats Vol1-4 for some of the best early 80's dance music.

May 23, 2005 at 6:53 AM Post #30 of 91
Oh No! 80s was beatiful musical era, time that shall not return. Just to name a few:
Gary Numan
Sisters of Mercy
Twisted Sisters (also earlier)
Frank Zappa (also earlier, and learly 90s)
And loads of others, 80s was an era with loads of great rock bands and loads and loads of imagination in music, new wave, dark wave, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back