The $100 Question
Feb 21, 2010 at 5:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Pulse14

100+ Head-Fier
Well, you guys sucked me in, and let me say, for my first post, thank you very much.
k701smile.gif
I have always had an intrest in higher quality listening, and it seems I've found an outlet for such interests. I have 1k+ songs in my iTunes library,all of which I listen too (I don't just like to boast my library count
redface.gif
).

My tastes are:
50% Classic Rock, 23% Rock (in all forms)
10% Pink Floyd (Significant part of my life)

5% alternate in all forms (1970s-1990s), 5% blues , 5% symphonical(?)/orchestral/classical, 1% hip-hop, 1% classic pop.
*Note- Alot of times I find myself listening to acoustic jams.

Currently, my listeing is split 70/30 computer/iPod. I currently use Maxell DHP-II headphones (tech data- Maxell USA | Digital Headphone Technology). These headphones are certainly better than any other cans I've owned (I HATE SKULLCANDY), but I feel like I could do better. I adjust iTunes's equalizer constantly, and constantly play with the volume to see how they all affect the sound, but I still feel it could be better.
The catch: my other hobbies. I love my nissan 240sx, and she loves that I'm saving up to buy her a new heart (engine if you didn't catch that). So I would love to keep costs down, for now, around (not capped at) $100.

SO, my question is, what to get? A new set of cans or an amp to drive my current cans? Either way recommendations would be appreciated. So far, it seems grados may be good headphone choices; and iBasso T3, RSA Tomahawk(?), Pico, or the Mini Cubed for an amp.

Thanks, and sorry for the long post of parenthesis italics, bold, and smilies.

Feb 21, 2010 at 5:57 AM Post #3 of 10
Since you're from Australia and (I've heard) Grado prices are ridiculous overseas, I'd consider the Alessandro (Grado) MS1i, that way you're just paying whatever the exchange rate is. With Grados, you won't need an amp, but it'll be in your future eventually.

Feb 21, 2010 at 6:09 AM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by MD1032 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since you're from Australia and (I've heard) Grado prices are ridiculous overseas, I'd consider the Alessandro (Grado) MS1i, that way you're just paying whatever the exchange rate is. With Grados, you won't need an amp, but it'll be in your future eventually.

I would still recommend putting up a post in the FS section and pick a SR80i shipped to Australia within $100.00.

Feb 21, 2010 at 6:17 AM Post #6 of 10
Yes, definitely Alessandro/Grado. SR-80(i) or MS1(i).

Feb 21, 2010 at 2:39 PM Post #7 of 10
Haha, well thanks guys. Though i'm not located in Austrailia (?), I'm in Georgia (The state, not the country in Eurasia, haha). But thanks for the help. Is there a differnece between the MS1i and the SR80i?

ALSO, I forgot to mention, I have a preference towards fullsize/around-ear/cloased/sealed cans (I dont know the proper term, but what I mean is phones that don't sit on my ears, but around them).

Muchos Gracias a Uds. (Thanks to all of you)

Feb 21, 2010 at 3:00 PM Post #8 of 10
THe MS1 is better than the 80. Roughly equivalent to the 125, and with a smoother sound than low end Graods, which some can find harsh.

If you're going to amp your PC, then I'd be budgeting for a decent aftermarket soundcard too. Or a DAC/amp.

Not the Grados need amping, but your stock card won't be worth adding juice to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back