That's it. I'm fed up with earbud wires that harden and are all thick and inflexible. I'm going to build my own.
May 2, 2015 at 4:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

fefrie

New Head-Fier
I have a set of earbuds that I've turned into CIEM's, and no matter what happens,  the wires harden.  They are all made of some sort of PVC wire that loses something or oils just hardening them so that cord rub is extremely annoying.

There is only one wire set that doesn't harden, but they are an asymetrical style where one cord side is longer than the other.  

At this point, I've given up on the idea of finding a wire set that includes everything from the jack all the way to the earbuds.  It's tough to pay for somehthing only to get rid of the earbuds and take another gamble to see if the cords will harden or not.

So at this point I'm going to start from the top, and work down to the jack.  So I'm hoping that someone can point me towards a silicone or rubber type wire that does not harden at all and is relatively thin in guage so that it can insert into the tiny holes of the ear bud tubes and form a knot that's strong, but reasonably small.

There should be two wires in there of course, but of a braided or stranded type.  I don't want a solid core wire, the wire breaks way too easy.

So any recommendations?  It would be appreciated.

May 7, 2015 at 2:58 PM Post #3 of 3
The drivers that I use don't have large enough holes to insert two cords into.

Unfortunatley, I've found a compromise.

I'm going to buy two  of the earbuds and graft an extension to the shorter cord, then also graft a right angle plug onto the bottom.

It won't be pretty, but it will be functional.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back