That turkey is cute
Nov 25, 2003 at 11:41 PM Post #17 of 54
Do you guys prefer white meat or dark meat?

Leg/thigh, breast or wing?

Plain, cranberry sauce or with gravey?

Myself, I eat any turkey any way. Yummy!

biggrin.gif

Nov 26, 2003 at 12:05 AM Post #21 of 54
Quote:

Originally posted by Music Fanatic
There are people called fruitarians who only eat fruit since fruits and nuts do not require the death of the host tree. For example http://hem.fyristorg.com/fruitarian/index.html .

Yep... I had an Internet friend (lives in the Canary Islands) who's a fruitarian. Frankly I don't have a clue how people succeed in getting the right nutritional balance on such a diet, but que sera sera...

Nov 26, 2003 at 12:37 AM Post #23 of 54
If you want THE BEST TURKEY available, try ordering one of these early next year to have one for Thanksgiving:

http://www.slowfoodusa.org/ark/turkeys.html

No mass marketed, flightless, tasteless birds any more. Order one of these far enough in advance and you will NEVER, EVER eat a ButterBall or other specially bred turkeys.

Nov 26, 2003 at 12:44 AM Post #24 of 54
Quote:

We think of turkeys as unique Americans, the birds that our forefathers knew and cherished

NO!!, that's mean!!
frown.gif

Fewer than 500 exist today

richly flavored meat, succulent and juicy, and they are naturally well proportioned

Unlike the commercially dominant Large White, the heritage turkeys can fly and breed naturally

YAY!!

(I edited the quote if you didn't notice)

Nov 26, 2003 at 12:49 AM Post #27 of 54
Quote:

Originally posted by Musicfan123
If this turkey variety is so good, when did it fall out of favor commercially?

They yield less meat per bird, so the breeders and sellers stopped breeding and selling them in favor of what you see now, flavorless birds that are so huge they can't fly. They're also so stupid they can barely keep from drowning if it rains, so they have to keep them in covered areas. (There's a NY Times article on these good tasting birds, I'll try to find it.)

Nov 26, 2003 at 12:54 AM Post #28 of 54
We have a farmer in the area that sells (organic) grain fed, never frozen turkeys. He wacks the poor birds while you wait; talk about fresh. They are the best! I have never tasted turkey this good. They even smell better when you cook them; I swear.
biggrin.gif

Nov 26, 2003 at 12:59 AM Post #29 of 54
Go here:

http://www.slowfoodusa.org/index.html

Click on the Slow Turkey near the bottom left, the follow the link to the NY Times article.

Here's a small excerpt from that article: Quote:

The turkey you'll be eating could never exist in nature. After 50 years of overengineering, it has morphed into a bizarre, ungainly beast that can no longer run, fly or even lay eggs. And all in the name of progress: what it can do is supply copious quantities of white breast meat at the expense of the dark meat from the leg and thigh.

After years of selective breeding, only one breed of turkey, the aptly named Broadbreasted White, remains in large-scale production in the United States. For about 30 years, it has been the breeding stock owned by the three major companies, Hybrid Turkeys of Ontario, Canada; British United Turkeys of America in Lewisburg, W. Va.; and Nicholas Turkey Breeding Farms, Sonoma, Calif. A blowzy specimen with short stubby legs, its disproportionate supply of white meat has come at the expense of taste and texture. It's stupid to boot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back