Thanks to this board I went from looking a cheap ear buds to buying a nice pair of headphones
Mar 22, 2008 at 2:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

mclldavidson

100+ Head-Fier
I was pointed toward this site for a recommendations on a cheap but decent pair of ear buds. After doing much reading etc, I decided upon a pair of Grado SR60's. I had never even heard of Grado, well I got on ebay and got a pair of SR80's for 70 bucks that have 500 hours on them and supposedly well taken care of. I am excited to get them, they should be here next week.

I can't wait to see how these compare to my stock Zune buds, and the styling looks freaking awesome! If they sound as good as the Bose I heard at Target I will be more than happy.

Mar 22, 2008 at 2:08 AM Post #2 of 10
The SR60 are Grado's entry level headphones, so don't expect miracles. You should find them to sound much more dynamic than the stock Zune buds, much! Not sure what bose you heard, but they should be on the same sound quality level of some of the better bose headphones.

You just have to be prepared for the fact that you *may* find the grados to be uncomfortable. You also *may* find them to be too "bright" for your tastes (i.e. too much treble and mid range).
But then again, you may love the way they sound.

Either way though, you have started your journey into the world of high end audio. Way to go!

Sorry about your wallet....

Mar 22, 2008 at 2:12 AM Post #3 of 10
Well I ended up getting the SR80's, and the Bose I heard were either 150 or 175 at target if that helps.

Quote:

Either way though, you have started your journey into the world of high end audio. Way to go!

I have a decent home theater sound setup(Paradigm Monitor's and a Paradigm sub), but this is the first real set of headphones I will have.

Mar 22, 2008 at 2:17 AM Post #4 of 10
I've been extremely happy with the SR60's, but I am just afraid that I will want to step up eventually (clutches wallet...).
I was concerned about some of the Grado comfort and sound issues originally, but the sound signature is really pleasing to me and they are actually pretty comfortable.

Mar 22, 2008 at 2:38 AM Post #6 of 10
I've owned Grado SR-80s for 8 years (a gift from my wife) and still love them. Don't forget to look into the tape mod (you just rim the foam bowls with electrician's tape) for some added bass. Read up on the SR-80 appreciation thread. I am more of a portable phone user (SA6s, Yuins), so I never moved up to different over the ear or on the ear phones. I am just happy with the Grados when I need that type of listening situation.

Better than the Zune buds? I have the so-called Zune Premium canal phones that came with my Zune80, and they have an annoying veil and are not very good, to be kind.

No, you going to enjoy the Grados. And sorry about your wallet.

Mar 22, 2008 at 2:40 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Towert7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The SR60 are Grado's entry level headphones, so don't expect miracles. You should find them to sound much more dynamic than the stock Zune buds, much! Not sure what bose you heard, but they should be on the same sound quality level of some of the better bose headphones.

Well entry level really depends on perspective, but I'll say in years since there have been few jumps comparable than hearing your first Grado. In fact I think most of the times we're just trying to recapture that feeling... and rarely succeeding. Hell, I almost wish I could go back to the days of summertime iPod->MS1 listens. You've also have had much better experiences than I with the Bose models (and this isn't more Bose bashing). Plus he got the SR80, not SR60.
wink.gif

Anyway, congrats and welcome mclldavidson. Now run away before you get tempted for more and upgraditis sets in. You're over the hump of when equipment gets in the way of music. More just depends if you enjoy the gear trip. Course empty wallets makes for lighter walks.
cool.gif

Mar 22, 2008 at 2:47 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well entry level really depends on perspective, but I'll say in years since there have been few jumps comparable than hearing your first Grado. In fact I think most of the times we're just trying to recapture that feeling... and rarely succeeding. Hell, I almost wish I could go back to the days of summertime iPod->MS1 listens. You've also have had much better experiences than I with the Bose models (and this isn't more Bose bashing). Plus he got the SR80, not SR60.
wink.gif

It's true. The SR80 is a solid entry level headphone. As long as the grado feel and sound signature appeals to mclldavidson, I'm sure it'll be magic!

Oh tell me about it. I went from Sony MDR150 to Senn HD590. I don't think I have ever had quite the jump in sound quality as that. Just more and more refinement.

Mar 22, 2008 at 3:06 AM Post #9 of 10
I assume it's standard around here to wish condolences toward someone's wallet, so I will do so as well.
smily_headphones1.gif

And to my own, as I recently got into the same boat as you, only with a pair of Senn HD280s. They blew me away when I got them home!

Personally, I love the way Grados look, but I'm not a huge fan of the earpads. I'll eventually buy a pair of SR-60s just to give the Grado line a try, though. Who knows, I might like them once I put some hours into them.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 22, 2008 at 3:37 AM Post #10 of 10
Back when I first stumbled on high-end audio, my leap was rather profound as well. From bad loudspeakers to beyerdynamic DT880s, from stock DAP buds to Shure E5c.

Needless to say I was blown away.

I also had more disposable income back then. =( Ah, to be a kid living with her parents with a part-time job.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back