Thanks to GWN, my rig is capable of spinning some vinyl!
Jun 11, 2005 at 4:39 AM Post #16 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by ken_loo
eek.gif
so Zanth.. you free on Monday? I can drop by with the Raptor and stuff
tongue.gif

Monday is really bad for me. I have 3 different meetings starting at 9 am, ending at 11 pm. Not a fun day. Essentially I am fubarred until after June 30th (two upcoming conferences of which I am speaking at both) and well, that date is just in time for the meet! If I do have an evening off though, I'll let you know so we can hook up and have a listen.

Jun 11, 2005 at 4:40 AM Post #17 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by tanfenton
Zanth,

It's not fair hiding your selection from us with that clamp. What have you been playing these first couple of days?

NGF

Probably Britney spears and J-pop...

Jun 11, 2005 at 5:04 AM Post #20 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoRedwings19
I thought you were A/B ing them.

Oh will later this weekend, but for now I have to get used to the sound so I am using the RS-1's mainly, then I will compare with the PS-1's and then the R10's. For the HP-1's, I need to bring the Melos over there.

Jun 11, 2005 at 5:14 AM Post #21 of 36
Quote:

Zanth,

It's not fair hiding your selection from us with that clamp. What have you been playing these first couple of days?

NGF

Sssshhhh, don't embarass me, I only own like 20 records
smily_headphones1.gif

U2 (crappy recordings even from a vinyl perspective but I am so familiar with their music it is a very good starting ground - everything I have up to but excluding Pop.)

Paul Simon - Graceland (this is the record that convinced me vinyl had the potential to be better than digital at any price)

Pedro the Lion - It's hard to find a friend

Pat Methany - New Chautauqua

Chick Corea - Piano Improvs Vol I and II

The Oscar Peterson Big 6 at the Montreux Jazz fest 1975

The Who - Who's Next and Live at Leeds

Count Basie - On the Road

Caribou - The Milk of Human Kindness

Fats Waller - Piano Solos

The Sandberg Quartet - Acid Jazz

Matthew Good - Avalanche

Monk's Greatest Hits

The Arcade Fire - Funeral

Jason Molina - Pyramid Electric Co.

Song: Ohia - Lioness

Jun 11, 2005 at 5:15 AM Post #22 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by S_Dedalus
Zanth, Give me the table now, or there'll be trouble.
smily_headphones1.gif

Come and get me tough guy. Though as you cross the border, be prepared to be greeted by some Mounties
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 11, 2005 at 5:31 AM Post #23 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth
Come and get me tough guy. Though as you cross the border, be prepared to be greeted by some Mounties
smily_headphones1.gif

yeah they mount your leg and start humping. Totally humilliating...

Explain to a non tt owner like myself what are the most noticeable differences. Is it more fuller body to the music for example?

Or is it just everything so relaxed?

Jun 11, 2005 at 5:35 AM Post #24 of 36
Quote:

yeah they mount your leg and start humping. Totally humilliating...

Explain to a non tt owner like myself what are the most noticeable differences. Is it more fuller body to the music for example?

It is hard to say because the phono is so new and the cart is nearly a wash, but the first thing I noticed was a fuller truer sounding bass. I love what I get from my cd player and some of the mods particularly increased bass resolution impact and body, but it seems a good tt does it better? Also the highs have not even a hint of that nasty digital sizzle that creeps in. Again, though the upgrades took this away, I now feel there is a more natural sound up there compared to the cd player. But, the sound was a bit metallic when in the enhanced mode, so again not sure hwo much is the cart or the phono. When I put the phono in straight low mc mode, the highs were just as I described, when in enhanced mode, the highs are digital sounding. Breakin is still needed.

But overall the bestest thing...is that I can now listen to R10's for more than 10 minutes and not throw them off my head
biggrin.gif

Jun 11, 2005 at 5:37 AM Post #25 of 36
Quote:

Both and then some. When you try to translate and encode music into 1's and 0's, something gets lost in the translation of decoding, plain and simple. The grooves that are set in vinyl are a representation of exactly how it is supposed to sound and get recorded, virtually nothing gets lost in the translation. On the rare occasions i get to listen to someone's vinyl setup, its fuller, extends lower and higher, there is a sense of ease, effortlessness, a relaxed quality while remaining punchy and dynamic. Microdetails and subtle shadings in dynamics are more clear and more graduated, separation is top notch, and as long as you have clean records, have a good phono stage, and a healthy cart, the sound will be incredibly clean and crisp. You've never heard cymbals and hi-hats until you've heard it on vinyl; it extends into the stratosphere, all the overtones and harmonics are perfectly intact, the attack, body and decay are perfectly captured and conveyed, while still retaining that life-like smoothness that could rival the actual experience itself.

Jun 11, 2005 at 5:38 AM Post #26 of 36
Quote:

It is hard to say because the phono is so new and the cart is nearly a wash, but the first thing I noticed was a fuller truer sounding bass. I love what I get from my cd player and some of the mods particularly increased bass resolution impact and body, but it seems a good tt does it better? Also the highs have not even a hint of that nasty digital sizzle that creeps in. Again, though the upgrades took this away, I now feel there is a more natural sound up there compared to the cd player. But, the sound was a bit metallic when in the enhanced mode, so again not sure hwo much is the cart of the phono. When I put the phono in straight low mc mode, the highs were just as I described, when in enhanced mode, the highs are digital sounding. Breakin is still needed.

But overall the bestest thing...is that I can now listen to R10's for more than 10 minutes and not throw them off my head
biggrin.gif

So are you saying that your opinions about the R-10's have changed within the context of your viny rig compared to your redbook analysis?

I am giving the R-10's one last chance before the R-10's start their exploding penguins tour and then they will find a new home.

Might put together a budget tt system and give it a try later on in the summer.

Jun 11, 2005 at 5:43 AM Post #27 of 36
This just won't do, Zanth. You've gone and torn through your entire library already.

Listen. How 'bout I loan you some of my Horace Silver originals as long as you promise to take good care of them? There's nothing quite like those classic Blue Notes, and I don't think you'll be picking them up cheaply on the streets of Ottawa. Tokyo Blues and Doin' the Thing work for you? I'll catch you on IRC sometime soon. I have a busy morning of record thrifting ahead of me.

NGF

Jun 11, 2005 at 5:51 AM Post #28 of 36
Quote:

This just won't do, Zanth. You've gone and torn through your entire library already.

Listen. How 'bout I loan you some of my Horace Silver originals as long as you promise to take good care of them? There's nothing quite like those classic Blue Notes, and I don't think you'll be picking them up cheaply on the streets of Ottawa. Tokyo Blues and Doin' the Thing work for you? I'll catch you on IRC sometime soon. I have a busy morning of record thrifting ahead of me.

NGF

Dude you rock! Thanks a bunch. I will guard them with my life. No worries, I'm the only one permitted in "my room" and no one goes near my stuff.

Jun 11, 2005 at 5:56 AM Post #29 of 36
Quote:

So are you saying that your opinions about the R-10's have changed within the context of your viny rig compared to your redbook analysis?

I am giving the R-10's one last chance before the R-10's start their exploding penguins tour and then they will find a new home.

Might put together a budget tt system and give it a try later on in the summer.

No not really, I thought I would just throw that in there for fun
smily_headphones1.gif
The Gyrodec is renowned for being a very neutral and transparent dec, as is the SME arm. The Koetsu is warm and full in the bass regions and well, I don't feel I'm getting anything extra with the R10's than I did with my cd player. Perhaps if I had a really syrupy phono I could do it but for now, no not really. The highs are better tamed though I will admit to that, but only in the Low MC mode, in PE, I'll go deaf from the piercing highs.

The R10's are really fast which is nice with the Koetsu cart, balances it out a bit. If/when the dynavector karat 17d2 mk ii gets mounted, I doubt I could handle something like the R10 without an EMP or an RKV.

What will be really fun is tomorrow...when I try Stax! Apparently they were a match made in heaven the Omega II's and vinyl. The only problem though is that the Koetsu may be a bit too laid back for the already laid back SR007's. Where is that adapter cable from eric343 when I need it. Eric if you are reading this, do you ahve a production model yet for the stax to sens adapter? Gotta try the HE60's
smily_headphones1.gif

If you go analogue, what are you thinking of trying?

Jun 11, 2005 at 6:12 AM Post #30 of 36
Quote:

No not really, I thought I would just throw that in there for fun
smily_headphones1.gif
The Gyrodec is renowned for being a very neutral and transparent dec, as is the SME arm. The Koetsu is warm and full in the bass regions and well, I don't feel I'm getting anything extra with the R10's than I did with my cd player. Perhaps if I had a really syrupy phono I could do it but for now, no not really. The highs are better tamed though I will admit to that, but only in the Low MC mode, in PE, I'll go deaf from the piercing highs.

The R10's are really fast which is nice with the Koetsu cart, balances it out a bit. If/when the dynavector karat 17d2 mk ii gets mounted, I doubt I could handle something like the R10 without an EMP or an RKV.

What will be really fun is tomorrow...when I try Stax! Apparently they were a match made in heaven the Omega II's and vinyl. The only problem though is that the Koetsu may be a bit too laid back for the already laid back SR007's. Where is that adapter cable from eric343 when I need it. Eric if you are reading this, do you ahve a production model yet for the stax to sens adapter? Gotta try the HE60's
smily_headphones1.gif

If you go analogue, what are you thinking of trying?

Well i was thinking of going thru one of those charity shops and picking up something. I don't really want to jump in at the deep end. My friend is selling his SME 30 turntable and he offered it to me cheaper than what he would sell it for on audiogon or ebay. But I don't know anything about TT's, Way too lazy to get up and change discs let alone vinyl. Oh, nearly forgot. He wants the equivalent of US$10000. If I wanted it he would accept US$9000. He bought it brand new and it cost him US$20000.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back