Thanks to Everyone - Search Over
Sep 4, 2009 at 10:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

OpticElement

Head-Fier
Hi, everyone.

This is just to thank all those who posted on various threads I started, answered PMs, and to Head-Fi as a resource in general. After 6 months of searching, running around to different stores, and trying out various headphones, I finally settled on my first pair of reasonable quality headphones, for use mainly in games, and with metal.

I ended up selecting the AD700s because they were the only headphones in my price range that felt comfortable to me. While perhaps not the absolutely best choice for metal due to the (FWIR/FWIH) recessed mids, I think they do the genre reasonable justice: Specifically, I listen to metal where there are a lot of added elements, like keyboards. I’m not really referring to the more Iron Maiden type stuff. I think the AD700s bring out those parts nicely, and the punchy bass is a nice feature as opposed to the muddy crap I’m used to hearing.

I place comfort above getting the exact sound I want, and these things are definitely up there in that category. I’m mostly a speaker guy, but sometimes to be immersed in games/hear better, I prefer headphones. I’ve been called a wall-hacker several times since I got ‘em for shooting people in Left 4 Dead, because I can pinpoint the origins of sounds thanks to the AD700 soundstage.

The following is a list of headphones I tried (or the ones I can remember)… Some were just for fun:

Audio-Technica: A700, AD700, M50, M40fs, PRO700
Beyerdynamic: DT250/80ohm, DT770/80ohm, DT770/250ohm
Sennheiser: HD215, HD280, HD595, PX100
Grado: SR60, SR80, SR125, SR225, GS1000

Again, thanks to everyone here at Head-Fi for all their help. Now I will run away before I spend money because of this site again.
darthsmile.gif

Sep 4, 2009 at 10:36 PM Post #2 of 7
Definitely not over my friend. Not until you audition the AD900s that is.
icon10.gif

I agree with you that the AD700s have somewhat recessed mids. It's especially noticeable when compared to mid-centric phones like the UM3xs. The AD900s on the other hand is said to have more prominent upper mids, making the vocals sound a bit fuller.

I hope my ears agree with that assertion this Wednesday when I get them into my grubby hands.

But hey, you're satisfied right?
atsmile.gif

Sep 4, 2009 at 10:42 PM Post #3 of 7
Wait... What about an amp?.. and you might need a recable.. oh and.., nevermind you seem happy with your choice
smily_headphones1.gif
nah noly joking..

glad you found your joy amogst the mess that is audio gear, run away and never look back!

as for me.. i havn't been here for too long but i can see my wallet looking at me with tired eyes.. cant. escape.

Sep 4, 2009 at 10:50 PM Post #4 of 7
dissembled - Haha yes that's what I was told. Perhaps it's a good thing I set a strict price limit not to go over/didn't have access to listen to the AD900s to sway my wallet to shell out more $ for them
tongue.gif
. Do let me know how they are, as I've read some comparisons between the 700s and 900s, but it's always interesting to hear if the extra cash yields good returns!

4lx - Don't tempt me lol.

Sep 4, 2009 at 11:47 PM Post #6 of 7
Congrats on the AD700. You've certainly done your home work.

Your signature shows you use a Creative Sound Blaster SB Audigy 4. That should work well with the AD700, no need for considering an upgrade any time soon.

To possibly improve comfort or a better fit, you may want to consider these modifications.

1. Rotate the pads 1/4 turn. This is 100% reversible by rotating them back to the original position.

2. Band the "wings" so they are closer together. This will make the pads press more on your ears. This is 100% reversible; just remove the rubber bands.

3. Permanently bend and deform the over head bars at the apex so it is bent. This will make the pads press even more to your ears. This mod is not reversible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back